I just love the efficiency…

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by AndysComputer, May 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

My recent hooning has consisted of maximal accelerations from lower speeds, not continual high speed travel.

E.g., this morning the guy in the Kia Stinger swung wide when making the 90 degree right onto the initially two-lane freeway entrance ramp, while I turned into the inside lane at 35-40 mph then blasted past him (and three other cars) up to 75 mph before chilling out to merge onto the highway at 65 mph. I don't normally drive so aggressively - in fact, the opposite - but I wasn't willing to slow down for the corner, so ended up beside him. At that point it was either slow down or speed up, and, well, the SE is good at the latter (and the former, but where's the fun in that?)

yoomini likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I believe it's more refined than that. I generally drive on three kinds of highways - those with speed limits of 50 or less, those with limits of 55, and those with limits of 70. I see distinct differences. I get good mileage on the 50 or less, mediocre mileage on the 55, and not-so-good on the 70. And, unfortunately, if one drives at the posted limit on the 55 and 70, every big f'ing pickup truck stations their bumper three feet behind me.

yoomini and SameGuy like this.
  4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

When people tailgate me, I just take a breath, slow down a little (not slamming on the brakes to invoke road rage, but going slower to give me more reaction time since they have basically zero) and keep on keeping on.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman likes this.
  5. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that most of the tailgaters are trying to show me what a BIG vehicle they have, to make up for their obviously small other thing.

scooter likes this.
  6. SJA

SJA Member

Saw this on the dash the other day, best efficiency I have seen since purchase in December. 114 miles left at 92%. Excuse the dash needing a dusting.

[​IMG]

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

OK, we're all getting JCW spoilers now.

GetOffYourGas and MichaelC like this.
  9. SJA

SJA Member

Lol, I am lowered also that could be a contributor.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  10. GetOffYourGas

The JCW spoiler is about as functional as the hood scoop. Just sayin.

It does look cool though.

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  11. Mike Dunn

Mike Dunn New Member

How successful have you been at autocross? Are you running stock summer tires? Which vehicle category do they place the SE? I'm thinking of getting involved.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Yeah after 3 years I’d say the 110 mile estimate is pretty accurate, at 65-70mph, without rain or a headwind. But when I’ve gone much over 70 or had poorer weather the range has dropped to under 100 miles. I’ve done much better in the city but also never had a situation where city range really matters LOL

GetOffYourGas and MichaelC like this.
  14. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    At 86 miles, easily the most pessimistic guess yet. I usually beat the EPA rating and more often than not in this weather I approach the ridiculous WLTP rating, but my GOM has never once guessed I can go 114 miles (183 km).

IMG_2098.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
  15. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I think I had 52 calculated miles based on 1.8mi/kWh efficiency in a polar vortex.

minigom18.jpg

16. SameGuy

YUL
    lol yeah, winter up here is a different breed of cat.

I'm at the turnaround point of this drive: 85.2 km (53 miles) on 41% at an average 48 km/h. Car says 16.6 kWh/100 km (3.74 mi/kWh), but I'm calculating 13.9 kWh/100 km (4.47 mi/kWh) using the distance and percentage reported. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only thing I can think is that it is using the entire (gross) battery pack capacity for the GOM, but the useable (net) capacity for the percentage. I am not going to do the arithmetic.

17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've suspected this as well, which is why I use @GvilleGuy's Range Calculator and ignore what the SE says.

SameGuy likes this.
  18. SameGuy

YUL
    Indeed.

Today's run... got delayed by 90 minutes at the turnaround point, so rather than spend the rest of my life in Friday afternoon gridlock on the 15 mile freeway stretch through town to get home, I did an extra 16 km (10 miles) to take the ring road around the city.

Code:
    Oct 20, 2023 at 14:47 **
    18 °C **
    Wind: 20.07 km/h from SE **
    Humidity: 64% **
    Driven: 185.9 Km **
    Start-Batt: 100% **
    End-Batt: 11% **
    Km / kWh: 7.23 **
    GOM Reading: 16 Km **
    Calculated Range  Left: 22.98 Km **
    Total Range (From 100% charge): 208.88 Km **
    Total Range (From 100% charge): 208.947 Km

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
    Puppethead likes this.
  19. GetOffYourGas

You are calculating efficiency based on the energy taken out of the battery. The truth is, charging the battery is not 100% efficient. There are losses there. If I divide their number by yours, I get 84%. I could believe that for charging losses. Maybe they are showing efficiency “from the wall to the wheels”.

20. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Round-trip efficiency will certainly be lower than battery discharge efficiency, but then it will become some endless rabbit hole of 8-15% of transmission/distribution efficiency losses and generating efficiency of 20-40% from the power plant (renewable, hydrocarbon, or nuclear). We should be measuring efficiency from "power plant to wheels". #rooftopsunshinepoweredSE

21. GetOffYourGas

For sure. I like “wall-to-wheels” because 1) it measures what you pay for and 2) it is a closer analog to gasoline pump-to-wheels efficiency. Again, what you pay for.

If you want to measure efficiency from the raw source, it is indeed an endless rabbit hole no matter the energy source. Even our solar panels have a bunch of sunken energy in their production and installation. To account for that, you have to know the lifetime output of the panels so that you can properly amortize it.

22. SameGuy

YUL
    This tank is showing 131 km (81 miles) on the GOM, despite the efficient recent drives. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯