Mini Cooper SE - In Focus: Range Calculator: Important Updates!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Feb 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I have a new video showing off Version 3 of the Range Calculator (IOS Shortcut - sorry, Android peeps). Detailed steps for installing included in the video, plus it works on Apple Watch (with some limitations - see 'breaking news' in the video index).

There are now 4 versions. All of them write to an IOS Note to save your history.
    • Miles + weather
    • Kilometers + weather
    • Miles (no weather)
    • Kilometers (no weather)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Wow, really appreciate the effort that you have put into this! This has been part of my toolkit since v1

nowkent, minimaine and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. Is an energetic yellow colour for the icon forthcoming?

wessy and GvilleGuy like this.
  5. GvilleGuy

nowkent, wessy and azausa like this.
  6. GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Not to steal any well-deserved thunder away from @GvilleGuy and his useful and wonderful achievements for the MINI community (both s/w and video), has anyone had any experience yet with the "game changer" Chargeway app on their iPhone?

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

InsideEVs had an article about Chargeway last October. The article describes how Chargeway helps dealers sell EVs in addition to the other things it does.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Pass on Chargeway for me. Based on its privacy policy (which seems really outdated, last changed in 2018), it wants way too much personal information that makes no sense, and I don't want to give it my full VIN. And why is it using Google Maps on the iPhone?

Urbanengineer and GetOffYourGas like this.
  11. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

As noted before in other posts, I have no personal experience with the Chargeway app (I have an Android phone) to evaluate it one way or another, but I do wonder about its current incarnation. The InsideEVs article to which I linked (with the "game changer" description) is dated Feb 8, 2022. Maybe the app hasn't been updated and made better, but maybe it has?

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

The only thing “game changing” about Chargeway is how dumbed down it is. There are very few features and a terrible trip planner. It’s fine if you are in a strange city looking for somewhere to charge, but PlugShare is far superior. I guess people are intimidated by having so much info available?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. Puppethead

The MINI navigation system will show charger locations, if you want a simple interface.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  15. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I don’t, personally. I like to plan ahead and use PlugShare whenever I’m pushing my range. If I’m in a new city, I’ve already scoped out the charging scene ahead of time. I guess where things like ChargeWay or the built in solutions are helpful is for the more casual EV driver who isn’t used to it doesn’t care to do such planning.

Urbanengineer and GvilleGuy like this.
  16. fasttr

fasttr Member

Was thinking you should add MPGe to the results. As far as I can tell it is just M/kWH * 33.7 kWH per gallon of gasoline. I routinely get 150 MPGe around town and commuting even though the epa estimate is 110.

17. GvilleGuy

I installed IOS 16 Beta on my iPhone 12 and tested the range calculator - it still works to give you the summary screen, but several things:

1) It is slower than on IOS 15
    2) After you accept the summary screen, it gives an error and does not open IOS Notes to append your data
    EDIT: 3) It is not auto popping the keyboard to type numbers. You have to touch inside the field to get the keyboard to show up.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    SameGuy likes this.
  18. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Lol as is typical with early-days public betas, you’ll need to keep an eye on the range calculator for your iPhone! I’ve been on 16.0b1 for a bit and my battery lasts considerably less time than on any 15, and my phone overheats doing mundane stuff. Plugged in to a 2.4A car charger and out of the sun yesterday, 90° ambient, the phone kept shutting down with thermal warnings.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  19. Puppethead

After upgrading to iOS 16, there seems to be a huge change in how MINI Range Calculator behaves. There are all kinds of new permissions dialogs that pop up to run the shortcut, and for gathering weather info and writing to notes. In addition, The keyboard no longer appears until after you select the input field, providing focus.

mini range calculator.PNG

GvilleGuy likes this.
  20. GvilleGuy

I just installed the IOS 16 release and see the same issues. The shortcut runs very slowly compared to IOS 15, and it does re-prompt for permissions, but that seems to save once you agree and does not prompt again. They fixed the writing to IOS notes, at least. It would not work at all in beta 16 for me. But now, rather than opening the actual note, it opens the main notes list view for me where I have to select the range note to see my result. I'm not happy with these behavior changes in Shortcuts. I don't have control over how the shortcut functions, well, function!

21. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Too technical for me but looks interesting.

22. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

1. Calculate your mi/kWh efficiency based on 28.9kWh usable battery capacity

If you use 10% battery to travel 14 miles then it is 10% x 28.9kWh or 2.89kWh. 14 mi / 2.89 kwh = 4.84 mi/kWh​

2A. Extrapolate the mi/kWh efficiency by multiplying kWh of usable battery capacity remaining

Multiply by efficiency to extrapolate range remaining for 125.89mi (4.84mi/kWh x 90% x 28.9kWh)
    2B. Find your fully charged range (100%) based on calculated efficiency

Multiply efficiency and 100% usable battery for 139.88mi (4.84mi/kWh x 28.9kWh)​

There are some extra steps for kilometre -> mile but it's fairly straightforward. If you want to get 1% per mile, the efficiency will have to be at least 3.46mi/kWh (1mi / 0.289 kWh).

GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  23. Puppethead

iOS 16.1 got rid of all of the permissions prompts (where you have to select the note twice! at the end), but you still have to tap the field for focus. It's a lot better, and almost back to the original usability.