I just love the efficiency…

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by AndysComputer, May 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Had to pop out to run an errand:

33.2 mile round trip
    Two stops to pickup stuff
    Suburban roads, 45mph speed limit but red light intersections giving 29mph average speed.

24degC (75F) - Dry outbound, raining home bound

18% battery used. (90 to 72)
    6.4 miles per kWh
    184 mile theoretical range (100-0).

My wife will never drive it more than 40 miles in a day and always in these conditions so battery degradation is not something we need to be concerned about…

In fact a battery half the size would do us as that would still be more than double the range she needs…
    I wonder if that would make the SE weigh less than the gas version?

Cindy B, Quiet Mini, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ghost

ghost Active Member

Wow, 6.4 mi/kWh is awesome. That's model 3 efficiency.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Model 3 RWD Efficiency is around 220-250Wh/mile or 4-4.55mi/kWh. AWD drops it down to about 3.85mi/kWh.

Then again EPA rating for the MINI is 3.22mi/kWh....

SameGuy and ghost like this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I can’t be sure of this, but in my mind I’m imagining that BMW asked the EPA to be conservative in their rating; the WLTP is wildly optimistic, and in fact, the MINI site in Europe and the UK states the WLTP rating while also giving their conservative manufacturer efficiency rating that is more in line with the EPA figure.

upload_2023-5-10_16-47-57.png

Cindy B likes this.
  6. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I am super impressed as well. Some of my best drives are:

142 miles driven, 22% battery remaining, 6.3mi/kwh.

70 miles driven, 62% remaining, 6.43mi/kWh

On usual day to day commuting 5mi/kwh is pretty easy.

These’s a lot to be said for small lightweight and efficient.

ghost and AndysComputer like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

My understanding is that manufacturers do their own testing. It was therefore MINI's choice to be so conservative.

insightman likes this.
  9. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

All y’all must live in an Escher painting where you only ever drive downhill.

I did a little road trip just today and here’s what I got:
    2585 km —> 2698 km … away
    113 km travelled (70.2 mi)
    100% —> 24%
    76% used (22.0 kWh of 28.9 kWh cap.)
    Range est.: 149 km (92.4 mi)
    Eff. est.: 19.5 kWh/100km (3.19 mi/kWh)

24% —> 97%
    73% charged (DC fast charger)
    $4.23 cost (3.74 ¢/km; 6.03 ¢/mi)
    ~23 kW delivered (MINI app)
    23.736 kW delivered (charger)

2698 km —> 2804 km … return
    106 km travelled (65.9 mi)
    97% —> 33%
    64% used (18.5 kWh of 28.9 kWh cap.)
    Range est.: 166 km (103 mi)
    Eff. est.: 17.4 kWh/100km (3.56 mi/kWh)​

MichaelC and ghost like this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    Are people in this group seriously getting 180 miles per charge?

Rexsio likes this.
  11. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

I struggle to believe it.
    Would love to see time-lapse video evidence (with start/finish elevation, too).

Rexsio likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I think that I *might* be able achieve it, at least under just-right conditions, i.e , warmer weather, flat roads, limited speed, gentle driving. I say that because I'm recently averaging 140-150 mostly commuting, which includes about 50% interstate @ 60-70 mph. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer, when it's even warmer and air density drops further, but I have to use the A/C (which I haven't needed much yet).

ETA: I have hit as high as 178 for one round-trip already, and that was without really trying (got lucky with the red lights, IIRC).

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  14. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

No way for me. I'm closer to 3.5 mi/kWh in summer and struggle to hit 3.0 mi/kWh in the winter.

I'd have to manage to hit 1.0 to break even in energy costs vs an ICE S though so I'll take it. Turns out to ~$100/mo savings for me at the current gas prices.

15. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I often get around 140 commuting, and 125-135 on highway. The best I can do are out and back trips in the mountains with equal climbs and descents up to around 11,000’.

16. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Here’s a video I made over a year ago, time lapsed:

that was in Green+ mode (no AC/Heat) as the outside temp was the same as the intended cabin temp so even if in green mode (with AC/heat) the result would be the same as nothing for the HVAC to do.
    Yesterdays potential 184 miles was in green mode (with AC) but it was only 3 degrees warmer than set cabin temp (21) however yesterday was never exceeding 50mph and never on the 60mph road. Different route, basicallly heading to and from the middle lower edge of the map in the video.

It was slightly downhill outbound and I hit over 7miles per kWh but round trip was 6.4.
    In the video there is only me in the car, but yesterday there was two of us.

I never quote one way trips due to elevation and wind; always round trip.

Here is another at 70mph, still over 130 miles range:

Spec wise this is a base Signature trim, no heavy glass roof, 16” Victory rims, stock tyres and pressures, no aftermarket anything on the outside like roof rails.

Last edited: May 11, 2023
    Texas22Step and insightman like this.
  17. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I mean you can get 8.0mi/kWh in an i3 so 6.4mi/kWh sounds reasonable.

i3hypermile.JPG

AndysComputer likes this.
  18. ghost

ghost Active Member

The only time I ever got over 6 mi/kwh was when there was traffic on the freeway, and we crawled for 30 mi or so. I never drive in green or +, though. Always in sport.

19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Here are my numbers for this morning's commute, carefree freeway driving over 60 mph in mid mode. No A/C, because it's not quite warm enough for that yet. But this is typical summer efficiency for me, even without trying to hypermile.

May 11, 2023 at 10:00 ** 65°F ** Wind: 7.662 mph from SE ** Humidity: 0.74% ** Driven: 42.3 Mi ** Start-Batt: 100% ** End-Batt: 73% ** Mi / kWh: 5.42 ** GOM Reading: 83 Mi ** Range Left: 114.35 Mi ** Total Range (From 100% charge): 156.65 Mi ** Total Range (From 100% charge): 156.638 Mi

20. vader

vader Well-Known Member

I've had my SE for around 2.5 years, and since the day I have had it, the average is 12.5kWh/100km. This translates to a full range of 243km or 144mi. This is spot on WLTP. I dive exclusively in sports mode, punch it from the lights, but stick to the speed limit. I drive maybe 40% on the freeway with speeds from 80-110kph. The rest is at suburban speeds (40-60kph). This equates to 5mi/kWh. The aircon is permanently on and set to 21C. As it is only ever below this on winter mornings, my use is predominantly cooling. I could easily believe 6mi/kWh if you ran green+ and were gentle. 5 is easy to achieve (unless you are going round a track).

Puppethead and SameGuy like this.
  21. SameGuy

YUL
    @vader I’ll be in Brisvegas next Friday for the weekend, heading to Lions v Suns game!

22. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I guess I'm having too much fun driving around with a lead foot. I'm always in Green+ mode. And I always drive with the windows down and sunroof open. My average for the roughly four months of ownership, and 1100 miles, is 4.5m/kWh. I've driven more in the last four months than in all of last year. :(

23. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Recent trip to Atlanta and back 4.6mi/kWh. Mostly 5-10 over. Some traffic snarls which does wonders for economy, but not my mood. Commuting this time of year, low 4s. 5x 52ish second autocross runs gobbled up 23% of my charge today. Om nom nom nom.
    I get significantly less mileage if I have my sticky autocross tyres on, even driving sedately. Around 25% lower than the OEM 'kooks. Do the low-scorers here have non standard tyres?

Brawndo likes this.