2023 Cooper SE Included EVSE - "Flexcharger"

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by methorian, May 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

I've had them on past cars and my Mach-E has it, so it will be sorely missed with this coming winter (especially since the Mini is parked outside).

Luckily preconditioning makes things better, but I know I'll still miss it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bbrown

bbrown New Member

Does anyone know what the part number for this flex charger is for the NEMA 6-50 40A adapter? I have a welder outlet that is NEMA 6-50 (not 14-50) and it only has 3 wires (L1, L2, GND) no neutral.

SameGuy likes this.
  4. Barbouille

Barbouille New Member

I am in Canada with the 120 and 240 cable (nema 14-50). My electrician tells me I need a nema 14-30 in order to instal the 240. I explained him that I can adapt the intensity of the power from the car. He insist for the nema 14-30. We don’t have a plug installed yet.

Why would I need the nema 14-30 cable if I can set and adapt the intensity in the car?

Does anybody know where I can get the nema 14-30 cable for the flex charger.

Thanks!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Inside EVs

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Si le fil n'a pas encore été installé, insistes pour que ton électricien fasse passer le bon fil pour une prise NEMA 14-50. L'adaptateur 6-30 ou 14-30 impossible à trouver coûtera plus cher que le fil et le disjoncteur plus gros, et faire fonctionner ton chargeur à un courant réduit de 25% entraînera une charge plus lente que la voiture ne peut supporter.

Barbouille likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That sounds to me like the electrician isn't putting in big enough circuit breaker or thick enough gauge wire. Seems odd to me, unless your power service can't handle a 50 amp circuit.

There seems to be a NEMA 14-30 adapter, this image is from the bmw.ca site.

[​IMG]

Barbouille likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Barbouille

Barbouille New Member

Thanks! Yep, I think it’s the 50 amp the panel can’t take… :(

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Inside EVs

9. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I have a new 3d printable model for a bracket that makes the charger removable without dealing with any screws.

I printed an almost final prototype overnight and it seems to work great in the 30 seconds I messed with it before heading to work.

I'll get a final printed today and install it then if I'm happy upload to thingi and printables.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. EricJ

EricJ New Member

I picked up a ‘23 last week. There are two input cables, for 110v and 220v. The 110v will go 10 amps. The 220v will do 40 amps.

I mounted it on a little cleat out of scrap plywood that works like the BMW plastic mount, sliding up and out if needed. Currently using 110v, saving up for AWG 6 cable and a 50A GFI breaker!

SameGuy likes this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    Note that the charger in the SE only draws a maximum of 32A, but I would still wire for the maximum rating of 40, which means a 50A GFCI breaker and 6 AWG wire (which is exactly what I did).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. EricJ

EricJ New Member

Yeah, 50 amps/6 awg, because I think the charger claims to be able to draw 40 amps. It is definitely what the 220 adapter is rated for.

SameGuy likes this.
  14. SameGuy

YUL
    Yes, on a different car, the BMW Flexible Fast Charger can draw up to 40A, so regardless of the fact that the onboard charger of the SE maxes out at 32A, I agree that it’s a good idea to wire it for the maximum capability of the EVSE (future-proofing).

15. bbrown

bbrown New Member

20 feet from the plug on the wall to the plug on the car. Just installed mine yesterday.

16. My Mini is expected to arrive in the next few weeks and I have a question about the included Flex Charger. I will be charging my car using an off-grid solar installation, and my inverter has a maximum output of 6000 watts at 240V. I plan to install a Nema 14-50 outlet, but I would like to charge at a rate of 24A. Is there a way to explicitly set the charging rate?

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You can set your SE (not the FlexCharger) to the half-fast Level 2 option, but I think that's 16 Amps.

Hatch likes this.
  18. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    That's what i would do.. approximately doubling the time to charge is still not bad, unless maybe you're always charging from super low to 100%. Even then it should finish in 10 hours?

19. 16 amps should be sufficient. I guess if I need to charge at 24A, I would need to get a charger that allows me to set the charging current and keep the car set to the fastest rate. Either way, you both answered my question. Thank you!

20. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

50amp panel is exactly the reason. The electrician is 100% correct. They don’t want to install something that will
    Be an issue. It’s not worth the risk. Ideally you should be upgrading the panel and entrance to 200amp first

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  21. bbrown

bbrown New Member

On the Mini there are 2 settings (Maximum and Reduced) for level 2 charging. Maximum (limited by the Mini itself) is 7400W (240V @ 30.8A) too much for your inverter. Reduced, like others have said is 16A @ 240V 3840W. I charge with an off grid system (5000W @ 240V), so I have to remember to set level 2 charging with the Flex Charger to "Reduced" when switching from on grid to off grid charging.

GetOffYourGas and beerhecht like this.
  22. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I've begun wishing that I had a 300A panel for:
    • 2x 60A (cold climate heat pumps)
    • 1x 40A (whole house electric tankless water heater)
    • 50A car charger

23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Do you even need a GFCI breaker
    Might as well go single phase 400 amp or 400 split dual 200 panels. I don’t think 3 phase is a residential thing I could be wrong but would be interesting for 3 phase 400amp residential. That would be a massive house regardless with any 320-400amp setup. I’m at 200amp with heat pump for heating (we never use our baseboards) and I have a 50amp breaker for my EV charger. No shortage of capacity