Would you buy an SE at current prices without the $7500 credit?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by polyphonic, Aug 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Would you buy an SE at current prices without the $7500 credit?

1. Yes (I have additional state incentives)

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Yes (I do not have additional state incentives)

26 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. No

46 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

None. Nor is that my claim. It was a hypothetical. I clearly am not explaining myself well because no one here is understanding my point. I will resign to the fact that I cannot be clear enough on this forum and step away from all of the non-sequitors and misunderstandings.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

That’s partly the nature of online forums and text-based or non-human-to-human discourse. I feel this way all the time, especially when discussing my pet issues with EVs and cars in general. This forum is pretty awesome though, the best I’ve ever been apart of. Definitely appreciate and enjoy your input and everyone else’s!

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I was just trying to point out that EVs are not as failure-prone as EV critics want people to believe, and I certainly would not place anyone in this forum in that category.

Rexsio and GetOffYourGas like this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

First, @GetOffYourGas, I love your handle, and smile every time I see it. Second, I enjoy your posts and reading your opinions. On this friendly forum, I don't mind hammering away, repeating myself using different words until I'm sure I can't be any clearer about the positions I advocate.

On another forum I'm less forthcoming because I get tired of trolls disagreeing with every point I try to make. I'd hate for you to become discouraged and withdraw because you think this is that kind of forum.

I, like most on this forum, believe EV batteries won't hold as much charge when they become a decade old. I'm hoping there are enough Oxford MINI Cooper SEs out there for aftermarket vendors to make replacement batteries that are both affordable and better (lighter would be my choice of better).

6. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

If shade tree mechanics were able to put a Corvair motor in a 911, a LT-1 in a Corvair, LS motors in a 944, Cayman, and the list goes on with Porsches getting heart transplants, LS motors in E36 and E46s, V8 XKEs, etc. I am sure one will need not be a renegade (pun intended) for there to be a kit for a SE replacement battery pack in ten years. All one needs to do is look at Cuba.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

With battery technology improvements coming along like CATL's Qilin batteries, I expect there will be many upgrade opportunities in the next ten years. All those gear heads will have to find something to mod on their EVs once the California rules have an effect on ICE availability.

insightman likes this.
  9. Percivel

Percivel New Member

Your Mini arrived at port one day before mine. Have you heard about a carrier assignment yet? The Morning Lago is docked, but don't know where she is going.

10. Aquavir

Aquavir Active Member

Although I’m just 3 days in, and also feel that I have done enough to quality for the credit; I can say with no hesitation that I would choose the MINI even without the credit. I am really enjoying this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Hatch, Texas22Step, MichaelC and 5 others like this.
  11. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Great to hear you are enjoying it!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Doug H

Doug H New Member

Totally. Mine is on order. To me, the range is immaterial. It's a nice, right-sized car for pending empty-nesters, goes as far as I need it to go, carries as much as I need it to carry, and for comparatively (to other EVS) are very good price. Would I? did! (not here yet, but counting down the months)

Aquavir and beerhecht like this.
  14. RunOnE

RunOnE Member

The Mini is awesome, but frankly the credit pulled me into the EV world many years before I would have otherwise. I would probably still own my Clubman or have bought a new Acura Integra all prices being even. Looking forward to my $10k check next February though! Just wish Congress could do a better job with the credits.

wessy likes this.
  15. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Just make sure your federal liability is over 7500 before the credit. I filed CO using the state site and some of the screens where counter intuitive. Uploading documents was a bit of a pain.

Jim In Tucson likes this.
  16. Cindy B

Cindy B Member

We love our 2022 and would have bought it without the rebate. Unless there's another electric sports car out there I don't know about, the SE has the corner on this EV segment price-wise even without the tax credit.

insightman, Aquavir and revorg like this.
  17. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Before I decided on the SE I was seriously considering a retrofit. Had everything budgeted out around 22k for a 31kWh Miata but that's hard to justify when the SE only cost me 20k for a complete car! With the credit it was a fantastic value.

With no more Signature trim and no more tax credit that balance shifts. Zero EV in the UK has a 100mi Miata kit for ~29k fully installed and a 2360lb weight. As fun as it is, the SE would be no competition to that.

There's no new car competition for the SE yet but retrofit/restomod companies are popping up everywhere and are ready to take your money and give you whatever sports car you want

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  18. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Can I make my point here as i3 owner 6 years car own I sold was 7 1/2 old and factory battery for replacement $16000 only 60Ah no upgrade but as I research should last 16 years with 75% the same with SE if meet your driving patterns after 16 years 75 miles range we keep a car .So far replacement batteries for I 3 after 8 years are no existing only replacement with damaged cars and no vendors to try make any business with this.A people think 10 years later they keep our beloved SEs to switch batteries are wrong bc is not so many of them to make an industry to retrofit those cars profitable. Like TV or I pod you throw away .And your SE became a chicken cup in your backyard.10 years later for sure will be more EV much better than historical Mini Cooper SE .My point is that with solid state batteries as Austrian company proved they retrofit BMW I 3 with solid state batteries where able to drive a i 3 435 miles just for mere $ 60000 to retrofit BMW I 3 .As we know technology is there but what is a price not $30000 Mini SE ? 617C13C0-C39A-487C-AE2E-5074A16C2729.jpeg

19. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

That wouldn’t work for me due to safety and Miata NVH. Maybe Sunday drives only. Now if a friend did that conversion… :)

20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Conversion of any car to EV was good 10 years ago but today make any senses

21. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

SameGuy likes this.
  23. Cindy B

Cindy B Member

We would definitely buy again. Unless there's an EV out there I'm not aware of, it's easily the cheapest electric sports car by thousands of dollars. They can still be bought brand new and well equipped for under $36K. I would add, they are also finally available in stock at most dealers, although in small numbers. For reference, the base Tesla Model 3 starts at just under $45K. -- and I don't get a sports car vibe from it at all, even though it tests well on the track.

SameGuy and insightman like this.