2023 Cooper SE Included EVSE - "Flexcharger"

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by methorian, May 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

That's great! You are welcome!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Thanks. Mine will stay in the box. Maybe sell it. I had the Besenergy with the 20" and it just barely made it. The JuiceBox has a 25" cord and those few extra feet make getting around the other car, with all the cable on the floor much easier.
    I don't want to open up the package. This way I can sell it on eBay still in the box, never used.... May get something like $3 more for it if never opened.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Correct. The provided Flexcharger is going to let the SE charge at the full rate, so there's no reason to buy a different L2 EVSE unless you have special requirements.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  5. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Like the want (not need) for a longer cord.

6. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Just wanted to clarify that the included Flexcharger can supply up to 9.6kW. The SE will only go up to 7.7kW due to it's onboard charger, but the actual EVSE is rated higher (since it's the same EVSE included with BMW i4 and iX, which can both accept higher.) So it's a very nice EVSE to be included as standard.

Due to the higher supply rating, it's cord is rather thick, which does make it a bit more cumbersome for constant packing/unpacking in the car. I keep the standard 120V EVSE in the car for emergencies personally.

GetOffYourGas and BackPack like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Same here. But frankly if I was really out of juice on the road, I would probably just call a tow truck to tow me to the nearest DC charger (or at least level 2). The 120V EVSE for the Bolt does get used when visiting family or staying in a hotel that is gracious enough to let me plug in (always ask first!). But I don’t travel with the SE so its 120V cord has never been used. It is still in the original plastic after 18 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Did you need to twist the cord in order to mount it? 018BF1EC-C639-49A9-B346-338AC643787A.jpeg

10. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Did you need to twist the cord in order to mount it….I’m sorry to be so clueless, but where can someone buy that mount or is it something you just make? 929E7487-669E-4375-8D39-4A5BDA448850.jpeg

polyphonic likes this.
  11. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

I did have to twist the NEMA 14-50 cord a bit to get the charger to sit flush to the wall. It did not feel like an excessive amount of twist force and I doubt any ill effects will be seen.

The mount is a 3D print. I had a buddy print mine for me. I think there are services on the internet that will 3D print things for you for a fee as well.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. LittleWoods

LittleWoods Active Member

Could also check your local library as many of them have started offering 3D printing. (I was surprised when I discovered mine did.)

SameGuy likes this.
  14. I'm new to the world of 3D printing, and know next to nothing about it... how do I go about sending this out to get it printed? What does something like this cost to print? Thanks!!!

15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I’m old guy and I can cut you bracket from Playwood or Lexon in 5 minutes with jigsaw you don’t need 3D printer to build simple things as a bracket for charger .Cost 5-10$

16. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

I appreciate your offer…from an old gal….but I think I won’t worry about mounting it…not sure how it would even attach. I love meeting everyone!

Rexsio likes this.
  17. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Well, I am not an old guy, being an engineer, 3D printers and 3D CAD (computer aided design) are my tools of choice for simple projects like this. I could have just as easily machined the bracket in aluminum but that would have been complete overkill for what it is. Although the printing of the bracket takes longer than 5 minutes, the end result does not look like a DIY project and the best part is, I can share the file with others so if they have access to 3D printers, they can make one too without any headaches.

SameGuy likes this.
  18. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Can you do with 3 D printer bull bar for me bc I’m not familiar with technology but I can build this as DIY project in my garage . 768A085C-81C4-46E6-917D-55291999087A.jpeg 42A88400-4AE1-438A-8F9F-F240109508C5.jpeg 42A88400-4AE1-438A-8F9F-F240109508C5.jpeg

19. dyne

dyne New Member

Picked mine up today, just got 1 charger

Scrambler likes this.
  20. Rongl

Rongl Member

just got notice after 9 weeks of waiting that the bracket has shipped. :)

21. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

Hey all. I have been using the level 2 flex charger in my garage for a couple weeks and it has been working great!

I did have a question for you all though. The way my charger is located in relation to the car means that the cable has to pass across the floor in front of the door to my garage. Since the cable is quite large is becomes a bit of a trip hazard plus I am not a huge fan of repeated stepping on it. Is anyone aware of a floor cable guard that will work for the rather large diameter of this cord?

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'd find some goofy (or elegant, if possible) way to suspend the cable from the ceiling or some kind of bridge rather than worry about tripping over a bulky cable-guard.

23. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

Yeah, not enough cable length for that. I barely reach the charging port as it is. The NEMA 14-50 outlet is right below the power panel which is at the drivers side front of the car. The port is opposite from there.