Part number for the bottom engine splash shield

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ah junne, Sep 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ah junne

ah junne New Member

HI all, new member here. I recently bought a used 2018 Clarity PHEV. But I have noticed the bottom aluminum engine shield is missing. This is the panel directly beneath the engine that must be removed before an oil change. It helps with the aerodynamics and noise from the bottom of the car. I tried google to look for it, but can not find the right part.

I'm looking for the shield and the connectors for the shield. You can see the part I talking about from 0:20 to 0:40 in the video below.

Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ah junne

ah junne New Member

thanks

4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

@ah junne :

As you have seen in the other threads, we have been unable to identify a part that represents just the cover. It probably comes with the larger assembly, but nobody would buy that just to get a replacement cover. This is very surprising because having a problem with the cover would not seem too unusual, particularly since it is removed / replaced for every oil change.

It has been suggested to others with this problem to consult with a dealer to see if they can identify a replacement part number for just the cover. So far, either nobody has bothered to do this (or they didn't bother to report back).

I would encourage you to contact a dealer and see if you can help resolve this question...
    If you can solve this, you will be revered by others in this forum who encounter this same problem !

I think it would be tricky to fabricate a replacement. It is a complicated 3-dimensional shape. If a flat plate would work, then it may need to be thicker than the original because it would lack the ribs that give it greater structural integrity. The fasteners are 1/4 turn twist-locks. I suspect they are used in other Honda's and I think dealer could readily identify that part.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. glockgirl

glockgirl Member

i have the same problem. i contacted my dealer and was told that that part doesn't come by itself, its part of larger assy. the part # of that is in one of threads.
    i found it online for about $311 total.
    74110-TRW-A00-part # for entire assy
    deal price was about $500+
    about to order the assy and when it come in removed the shield part, install it and then try to sell the other part on ebay for $50 or so.

MrFixit likes this.
  8. MrFixit

Thanks for reporting back. This is a ridiculous scenario, but at least you were able to confirm the situation.

9. Pisses me off. On the Civic, the shield is a separate part, about $50

10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

This really looks like it is just a flat piece of metal with some sound proofing glued on the inside of it. I'd make a pattern and cut some sheet metal to the pattern, drill the holes needed to secure it (and the extra ones that probably serve no purpose, but might add some ventilation).

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. ah junne

ah junne New Member

Does anyone have that Civic and the Clarity part to compare the size difference. Maybe a side by side or one on top of the other?

13. Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  14. MrFixit

@Robert_Alabama attached a pretty good photo of the Clarity part in Post #4 above.

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  15. Ah yes. So clearly from the same material, but it's just a cheap stamping, so Honda had no incentive to make this part a parts-bin pull.

Too bad. Given the small # of Clarity produced and the fact that it's discontinued, every parts bin part makes it easier to get a part. If it was a Civic or Accord part, we'd be able to get $20 ones from Honda (or from Ali Express)

16. MrFixit

For convenience, here are the two covers shown side-by-side (Clarity on the left, Civic on the right):
    ksnip_20211001-172924.png

You can't compare the size because there is no absolute reference for the photos, but you can see that the shape is quite different,

17. DavidXC

DavidXC New Member

Ran over a particularly large pine cone today, ended up denting my cover horribly. Really bummed to find this :(

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That is a bummer. I had to replace my under-engine cover a couple of years ago after stupidly driving over a bumper block, but I don't remember what it cost. It must have been a really big pine cone like this?

upload_2023-9-8_23-13-55.png

DavidXC likes this.