Car Scraping after Oil Change

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by DC2, Mar 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DC2

DC2 Member

Recently got an oil change. Something seems to be scraping underneath the car when I go up dips in the road and slight ramps.
    20210307_142924.jpg
    Is this a case where they just didn't put the underplate back on correctly? Has this happened to anyone else and could there be any extensive damage?

Pictures shown are of the front from the drivers side (with the arrow), the passenger side, and from front of the car

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

They probably messed up and left a couple of the fasteners out from the engine under panel. The panel could then have sagged down. The panel helps prevent road dirt and debris from getting up onto the underside of the engine. The Honda part number is 90674-TY2-A01. From your pictures, you may need a new panel. I would replace it as keeping stuff off the moving parts (belts, etc.) is important in the long run.

I do my own oil changes. The Clarity is pretty easy. Once the engine under panel is removed, the oil filter and drain plug are easily accessible. 90674TY2A01.jpeg

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It is a little hard to get the right perspective to be sure that this is a sagging lower engine cover, but that is likely given the scenario with the oil change.

Hopefully it hasn't been damaged too much to simply reattach it. I suggest going back to whoever did the oil change and they should fix it.

Let me correct something mentioned by @DaleL however... The part number he provided is NOT the panel, but rather the little fasteners. We have puzzled over this panel elsewhere in this forum. The parts diagrams do not show this panel as a stand-alone item, and it appears like it is only available as part of a much larger assembly (that costs close to $300). This larger assembly is 74110-TRW-A00, which presumably includes the panel in question. This is very hard to believe because you might expect to have to replace this "oil-change cover" because it is designed to be easily removed. Here is the previous thread that puzzled over this...

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/undercarriage-oil-pan-cover.8853/#post-99685

Bottom line - You want to re-attach this panel before it is damaged beyond repair because there is a chance that you would be forced to buy a $300 part just to get a replacement panel. If you do need a replacement panel check with the dealer to see if just the panel is available. The best we could tell from the parts sites was that it is not.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  5. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

MrFixit is correct. The part number I gave is for the fastener. These fasteners are simple, but sometimes if not installed properly they fall out and are lost. I would first get your car up on some ramps or jack it up (use jack stands before crawling under) and remove the lower engine splash cover. Check and see if it is salvageable. If it is, get more fasteners and reattach it. Otherwise, I would take the cover to a Honda dealer and see if they can order you a replacement cover.

If you had the oil changed at a Honda dealer, you should take it back to them and demand it be fixed at their expense. If you had the oil changed at somewhere else, you can try, but you are probably out of luck.

Changing the oil and filter on a car is vital to the life of a car's engine. It needs to be done right with the correct oil and filter. I personally know of three instances that resulted in either a ruined an engine or the risk of serious damage. 1. College roommate's Corvair (stripped bolt; ruined the engine). 2. Girl friend's (now wife) Oldsmobile overfilled (risked damage, I drained the excess oil). 3. Wife's sister's Hyundai (wrong super cheap filter and unknown oil; ruined engine).

6. Yep. My cover is also bent, and many of the fasteners (and the clips they go into) were gone after an impact with a skateboard

You can pull the panel off, and if it's bent you can use a mallet to get it more-or-less into shape, then get some fasteners/clips (dealer or ebay) and reattach. Some people just go without the cover, but I prefer to keep it.

Wonder if someone will make an aftermarket skid plate for the Clarity someday...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DC2

DC2 Member

Thank you all for the replies. I brought it to the dealer this morning and they mentioned that the "Sprawl Shield" is gone and that they're recommending a replacement for $700.

I'll try to call around and see if I can find a local mechanic to do it since it does seem like if the fasteners can be replaced, it could be fixed.

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a "Sprawl Shield". Google certainly doesn't recognize it. Maybe you can call them back and get a Honda part number? If you can figure out the part and can look at it online, it may help to determine repair options to effectively replace at the lowest cost. I accidently drove my 2019 Volt over a concrete parking bumper (thought it was clear to drive through, it was not). It drug one of the repair panels pretty good, tearing the material. I looked at it and thought it would hang on. It did not as one day my wife was driving the car and after backing it out of a parking space, she noticed the panel still laying where she had parked. She wasn't sure it was from the Volt, but she threw it in the car anway, and alas, it was my damaged panel. I was able to patch it and put it back on the car, but since I had the panel in my hand, i could read the part number. I looked on Ebay and sure enough there was one available for $40 with free shipping. Surprised since this thing is about 2' x 4' and made of the same compressed-formed fabric/felt product that is used on the Honda. I still haven't changed out the panel since the repairs are hanging in there, but I have a like-new one if I ever want to erase the evidence of my poor driving.

10. It's literally bang it flat and install new clips/dzus fasteners. The fasteners (and clips) are easy to find on ebay, e.g, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-10-Lower-Engine-Cover-Pin-Screw-Access-Clip-FOR-Honda-Accord-Civic-CRV/154021301778

It does bother me that the equivalent metal plate part on, e.g., the Civic (74114-TGH-A00), is a separate item # and relatively cheap (under $50) https://www.oempartsource.com/oem-parts/honda-2017-2021-civic-hatchback-type-r-front-lower-cover-plate-74114tgha00

11. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

WAIT !!!

If this "Sprawl Shield" (I never heard this terminology) is "missing" because of their negligence in not installing it properly, then they should be held responsible !

Absolutely, get a Honda part number so we can look up what the heck it is.

Finally, some have had luck finding odd Clarity parts (used) on eBay from salvaged vehicles, etc. Certainly worth looking but we need to know what it is (I don't think a "Sprawl Shield" is the correct nomenclature).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

@MrFixit , You succinctly said what I tried to say and without going off track with a side story :)

14. Certainly possible, but if the skid plate/splash shield (or whatever we call it) is in good condition, then probably the surrounding part that has a part # is too (the metal shield is much more fragile). I'd assume someone would put the entire part on sale, not just the metal part

BTW, I'd probably call it a "lower splash shield" or "lower engine cover"

15. The dealer did not do the oil change? If they did they should foot the bill for replacement. Any place that did this should foot the bill, but good luck with that, and make sure you post about it on Yelp if they refuse.

16. DC2

DC2 Member

I got a second opinion at an independent repair shop. They said that it wasn't damaged a lot so they could reattach the splash guard for just a labor fee and that fixed the scrapping!

Regarding the oil change, I was out of town for a few months and did an oil change there before driving back to my main city. I took it to a local Oil Changers for an oil change instead of the dealer/shop I typically go to before the ~300 mile drive.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.