Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

Yes! Was just about to hop on here to provide an update when I saw your message.

Got a call Friday saying my battery has arrived! They scheduled an appointment for Sept 14th. I thought that was great!

I then got a call back about an hour later from the same service advisor stating that the battery takes up a ton of space, they’ve moved some appointments around and asked if I could bring it in this coming Thursday morning (9th)

I’m pretty happy! I know many haven’t shared the same experience, but so far Hyundai has kept up with all of their promises. Received (and spent) my $250 gift card, got a call stating my battery would arrive in 2-3 weeks - it ended up taking about 5-6 weeks but nevertheless, it’s here and I can’t wait to put this behind me.

My only complaint is that I wish the battery warranty would reset. Seems silly that a brand new battery would pick up where the old battery’s warranty left off. New battery should have a new warranty, simple as that in my opinion.

I’ll keep everyone posted when I pick it up on Thursday. They said it would take the entire day.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Brunch and a new battery, what a perfect combination...don't be late:)

mho and Brennan Raposo like this.
  4. Just to close the loop on this one, the battery was replaced as scheduled on August 24th, I brought it in at 8 am and by 2 pm they called that that new battery has been installed. They said they didn't replace the coolant, just topped it up. No problems with the battery so far.

A problem did pop up after the replacement that the car now gives me the "Charging Port Door" error all the time, I don't know if it related to the battery replacement. The service department has ordered a new sensor, hopefully that will fix the problem.

Brennan Raposo and navguy12 like this.
  5. The only coolant they should have saved was the couple of liters in your reservoir. They should not have reused the coolant in the old battery which would represent the bulk of your 3 gallon capacity. Hyundai pays them for the coolant, they should have changed it.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173530-0001.pdf
    All Kona EV and 2020MY+ Ioniq only:
     When disconnecting the coolant hoses from the Kona EV battery, clamp the hoses carefully from the vehicle side to avoid losing coolant from the reservoir.
     Catch the coolant that drains and discard it.
     Attach a short spare coolant hose (from your shop supply) to one side of the pair of coolant nipples from the battery. Blow out all the coolant from the battery from the other coolant nipple using shop air as shown.
     Loop and attach the spare coolant hose to both coolant nipples from the battery. NOTE: Clamp the hose at both nipples to prevent coolant from draining during handling and shipping of the battery

Kirk and navguy12 like this.
  6. Dan Pasch

Dan Pasch Member

i had my car in for service thursday, they tell me about the battery recall which i knew about an said if my battery was on the list they'd order it an let me know when it was in, got a call 3 hours later...oh your battery is already here, can we keep it over night? no i need it tonight, scheduled it for this morning dropped it off at 8am an called me at 2:30 saying it was done. i never had any issues with the old battery, i had 78k kms on it and checked it regularly with evwatchdog. but very happy with getting a new battery an being able to charge it to 100% when i need it ( currently charging to 100% then going to drain it to top balance the cells, then bottom balance the cells... yes i know you dont have to do this, but i do what i want

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. And where are you in Canada?

9. Dan Pasch

Dan Pasch Member

new brunswick

10. Just like their pre-sales Hyundai is being totally random with the battery allotments.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  11. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Yup...their using a dart board.

NS KONA Elec likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hope you have another 78K trouble free driving, I love to hear good news especially with all the negative floating around this particular forum lately. Congratulations and enjoy, please let us know if any cell deviation or abnormalities after your balancing.:)

14. Wagnard

Wagnard New Member

Finally got my new battery installed for my bricked 2021 Kona. (St-jerome ,Quebec, Canada) Took 4 months... It was supposedly a LG battery and got another LG. Finger crossed...

Kirk, NS KONA Elec and electriceddy like this.
  15. It certainly didn't take much time for your original to show an error, kind of disheartening. Hope the issue with these packs are resolved and you get to appreciate the positive attributes Kona EV has to offer for a long time to come. ;)

16. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Will be getting my replacement battery tm am. Be interesting to see what brand it is.
    Thankfully gonna be back to 100%.
    Fingers crossed but not super confident.

17. Dan Pasch

Dan Pasch Member

well the verdict today after having it charged to 100% i drove 365kms 20% 60kmh roads 80% highway doing 110kmh with 11% battery left saying i had an 55km left. for me the kona has been the best decision i made, ive saved tons of money on fuel and its just so easy to drive long distances in

eastpole likes this.
  18. Pro rata that's 410km on a full charge and 420 by the GOM, a reasonable correlation. About 15.6kWh/100km. Was the trip hilly, cold? With mixed driving like that in our mild Aussie climate we average about 14 per 100 in Eco mode.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  19. I'm, of course, impatient and annoyed with the wait for the new battery but I'm extra peeved about about the small things. The r0183info.ca page has never been updated with new information about the recall despite being the go-to page and despite being redirected to it EVERY day by Bluelink.. Nobody to my knowledge has ever received a "second letter" about the battery replacement despite it being featured as a "next step" in the last recall posting. We were told that our dealers should be contacting us in July about the recall -never happened - and were urged to contact our dealers if they hadn't contacted us - only to have the dealers shrug and say "beats me". It really bugs me when Hyundai makes (totally unnecessary) promises and then fails to follow through on any of them.

navguy12, ehatch and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  20. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

There's a wiring harness, controller, electric engine connected to the li-ion,if it began to burn.It would not engulf the front engine? There's no ICE, it was indoors,what heat should generate under the hood,or at the rear of the vehicle

21. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

auxiliary battery light is due to the Li-ion charging the 12V.If it comes on frequently which it is in my case,the electrical system should be checked,per the owners manual.

22. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Signs can include driver dash,or infotainment alerts prompted by the controller, BMS configuration when the Li-ion is outside the "safe" parameters.While charging my Audi etron ,it did actually tell me the system was over heating,and it will automatically shut down.My Model X also will have messages sent to the MCU if something is outside of a parameter, remote diagnostics. None of this is invasive,nor 100% fool proof,but it matters how the OEM firmware can be as proactive as possible to mitigate catastrophe.

23. Hi Wagnard, Glad to hear that you got a replacement battery for your 2021. I am trying to keep track of 2021's with battery issues and the results of a battery replacement. Can you tell (either by looking or information from the dealership) if the replacement pack is "new" (never been used) or a rebuilt/refurbished battery? Perhaps a picture of the label on it would tell the dates of manufacture etc.
    Also, did they provide any guidance on how to use this "replacement battery". By guidance I mean any limitations on charging/driving or limitations on charging? Can you charge at home/overnight/in a garage to 100% etc?
    I also own a 2021 Kona that was "disabled" by the BMS as a safety precaution and has been sitting at the dealership for 8 weeks now. I received a call last night that they would be towing my Kona to another dealership (with the equipment to replace a battery) on this coming Friday and that a battery should be arriving soon.
    Thanks and take care

Kirk likes this.