Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Your not the only one feeling this way. As usual my experience has been horrible. Hyundai takes a month or longer to reply to emails with non answers and then blames everyone else but themselves. As much as I like the car and despite the countless days its been in the shop the corporate experience has been exceptionally poor. They are burning their bridges beyond belief. This will probably be my last Hyundai for quite some time.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    navguy12 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. New record. 6 distinct charging events in less than a day. Initial time-of-day charge from 50% to 80% then 5 charges randomly scattered overnight, three of which sent a push notification on completion while two happened with no notification. 2 1/2 years of ownership and I've never seen this behaviour before. Something is definitely getty wonky with this battery/system.

eastpole, navguy12 and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  4. Okay. Now it's 8 times! WTH?

Does anybody know what "FATC control result" is on Bluelink! FATC?

5. fully automated temperature control

Kirk, navguy12, Lars and 1 other person like this.
  6. When I learned English my teacher told me how the English loves to abbreviate everything. So here is my version:
    FATC = French Association of the Totally Crazy :eek:

navguy12 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I don't know about English speakers but internet commenters and tech fans sure love it. Try reading the battery discussions. It's like the commenters actually WANT to be incomprehensible.

navguy12 likes this.
  9. Pcph

Pcph New Member

And those black brackets at each corner of the battery? Did you have them before?

10. I cannot remember noticing the brackets at the corner, Pcph, so aucune idée. However I measured the ground clearance at the B-pillar just now and it is 155mm. I know I was happy it was at least 150 before, in order to clear the lip of the carport without a risk of grounding.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  11. No new battery replacements in Canada lately? Several people posted about upcoming appointments but no followup. Are they happening? Are we stalled out?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. My car is slated (stress test failed) for the replacement as I have reported earlier, but nothing scheduled. I am not in a rush actually, just happy that mine will be replaced.

14. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Their getting these batteries in piece mail, and the bricked ones are getting them first, as far as im concerned, as they don't want to keep absorbing the loaners.
    Everybody else " were sorry for the inconvenience blah blah blah"
    We have zero consumer protection here and they know it.
    Their handling in the states and their buyback programs proves it..

15. I haven't seen any real trends at all. The few Canadians who have mentioned being scheduled for the battery replacement were random. There were no clear commonalities.

16. I received a call in July asking if we would be up for a battery change in August any time , I said yes and have not heard back yet...

electriceddy likes this.
  17. Well they only have a few hours to accomplish that task, but who knows...keep that cell phone handy:D

mho and Konan the Explorer like this.
  18. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

My kona electric failed the stress test. My battery light in emblem keeps coming on. Today,I felt heat from the hood,and a little in the rear after the same light illuminated while it was parked inside.Li-ion is about 60%,not plugged in. It would be nice if Hyundai tells owners about "other"signs with the kona before it may turn into an inferno.

19. eurokeitai

eurokeitai New Member

You would become a rich man if you invent and patent a non-invasive method that accurately predicts that a li-ion battery cell about to fail.

There is a possibility that adding ultrasonic monitoring to cells will help figuting out what's going inside the battery cells, but so far nobody is using them:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316251128_Battery_charge_and_health_state_monitoring_via_ultrasonic-guided-wave-based_methods_using_built-in_piezoelectric_transducers

20. The 12 volt battery light really has no bearing on traction battery health. What stress test?

Kirk likes this.
  21. would the under-floor traction battery really generate noticable heat on the hood? doesn't seem plausible.

Kirk, eastpole and navguy12 like this.
  22. I think ehatch is referring to the latest dealer software evaluation of the suspect traction batteries in recalled vehicles. A failure apparently moves you along to an actual replacement. I have mine scheduled for next week along with a look at the returned motor bearing chatter noise again. I predict it will pass this mysterious "stress test" despite the car/battery previously bricking and they will tell me they can't hear the chatter. At least I can look forward to having the recall label removed if I pass.

ehatch and navguy12 like this.
  23. Any word on your battery swap?

Brennan Raposo likes this.