Delivery Spreadsheet - Let's Track These Inbound SEs

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, Jul 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

Your dealer must have a had a buyer fall through or they traded with another dealer for it to advance to Paint Booth that quickly. Until early this week there was NO activity since July 20. The car that is becoming yours was in the Paint Booth on that day - July 20. Your purgatory has been longer than you realize.

I know they can build these in 1 to 2 days at the fastest. My "Expected Completion" is Sept 1 which is still doable to being totally honest I am not optimistic.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

The Production Queue to my knowledge does not mean a whole lot. There seems to be no consistent exit point from it. Sometimes a few days but for others weeks. The "shutdown" or lack of build work from July 20 to August 23 definitely impacted you (and all of us also waiting).

Misery loves company . There seem to be some glimmers of progress her and there but I know of 2 more folks in the same shoes as you and I. Waiting!

4. cparisi

cparisi Member

You are exactly correct. It was a trade with another dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. NewGreen

NewGreen Member

Now I'm starting to see the power of volume-buying. The dealer in Austin, TX is a Penske dealership. They own/run 37 MINI dealerships worldwide. My MINI is at the port in England now. It appears to be ahead of Novadar's. Novadar's was behind mine in production, even though it was ordered before mine. (My car definitely "sat though" the apparent shut-down from July 21 onwards...until just about Aug. 26.)

Novadar likes this.
  6. NewGreen

NewGreen Member

How do you get a port picture? Are you local? Did your dealer provide the photo for you? So cute!!!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

NewGreen, I am happy to see your MINI moving. That is a great sign that work is being done at the factory. For whatever reason nothing is being done for mine. I just cannot make any sense of it.

Principle Auto owns the MINI in San Antonio. The only own a few dealerships like BMW and Infiniti here in SA and I think BMW in Corpus Christi. Not nearly as big as Penske. I really think the key is the Allocation Number which seems to be directly tied to the Production Order Number for a given Model. I suspect that even though you ordered after me, your dealer had an Allocation ahead of the one Mini of SA had. These Allocations seem to be immovable. There are others who have jumped up the list by taking over a previous build that another dealer had a buyer back out of. So perhaps even if I purchased one week earlier I'd be in the same situation. OR it's simply cruel fate.

Lastly, what "Estimated Completion Date" were you given prior to seeing at the UK Port? Was it August 27 or earlier? Very curious to hear.

9. NewGreen

NewGreen Member

I never got an estimated completion date... When I told my MA that I'd heard about various shut-downs, he just said, remember I did tell you 12 weeks overall....and that's true--that's all that was promised, so I didn't ask for a date. Just in the last few days, he did tell me that he could give me an estimated date of delivery once it gets on a ship...hopefully in the next few days. Mine is "at the port" in England right now.

10. angLe

angLe New Member

I live a couple of blocks away from the port.

Tommm, NewGreen and Novadar like this.
  11. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

I see. If you had called Ask-MINI the automated system or the Rep would have provided a date. I cannot help but obsess over the details. I completely understand the impact of Covid and Chip shortages but I think its simply wrong to provide a date and then it moves. My first completion date was July 22. The Sales Manager originally told me about 10 weeks. My MA said 12. I just see that becoming less and less of a possibility as time goes along.

When and how did you find out it is at the the Port? What is by MyGarage or your MA? My MA is super hard to get a hold of so I don't even bother anymore.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

Wow. That is super convenient.

14. NewGreen

NewGreen Member

I heard about "at the port" by MyGarage. My MA is about 1 day behind in providing the same info via email, but I don't mind. I've never called AskMINI. I was actually on a long road trip in my ICE car for the past 2 weeks (now I'm back in Austin)...so I didn't check very often. The sequence of events is: MyGarage showed awaiting carrier assignment on 8/26 and then on 8/27 My Garage showed "at the port." On 8/27, my MA happened to email me with the news that it was on the way to the port, but I didn't check that email while I was traveling.

Novadar likes this.
  15. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

Thank you very much NewGreen. This is very, very helpful. I am relieved to see vehicles getting out of the factory this week. I scoured the interwebs, found a telephone number for the factory in Oxford, and "rang" them up. I was very skeptical when I was told "builds" would begin on August 23. I am happy to hear of movement yet frustrated that mine hasn't changed AT ALL.

I wish I could find a way to keep myself from checking all the time. I am not that upset about it not arriving yet, I just want to know that it has been built. Twelve weeks is not unreasonable from order to car in hand but the start/stop -- hurry up and wait-ness is making me nuts.

I will keep my eyes on your MINI in the tracker. Please do keep it updated with respect to departure and port arrival.

My wife and I ordered a Porsche Taycan in March. It arrived at the end of July. And yes, of course I tracked that like crazy. I almost bought a short-term satellite tracking subscription for the car carrier ship. But now for the MINI I just want to know it has been built. The AIS/Terrestrial tracking will be good enough this time around.

16. Sully151

Sully151 Member

So should I not believe my dealer when he says if I order now, I can get a mini in Southern California by November?

17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I think the standard answer is three months from order to delivery. That's also what I was told when I ordered mine last year, although due to pandemic lockdown I had to wait almost six months. The three month timeframe is ideal, it doesn't account for plant shutdowns or parts shortages. Or hurricanes or backlogged carriers.

18. NewGreen

NewGreen Member

Actually--I want to correct my info--my MA pretty much has been on-track with My Garage....it's just that I don't check emails as often as I check My Garage!

Novadar likes this.
  19. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I love this thread. Even though I have my SE already, I really enjoy the enthusiasm of every future SE owner yearning to be free of ICE. You will love the SE. It is well worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

F14Scott, NewGreen and MichaelC like this.
  20. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

Haha. "Enthusiasm" - I can find many other words to describe the facade of insight and downright opaqueness of the tools given to monitor the progress.

I am beside myself at the 41 DAYS my MINI has been held at "EXTERIOR BODY ASSEMBLY BEGINS".

I just want to see the car get moving. You started building it - now finish it.

21. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

You have a great MA.

22. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

That really sucks. In my experience, though, delays at the port are even more painful.

Puppethead likes this.
  23. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

I don't even want to think of delays at the ports. I know others have certainly experienced tons of grief in that department.

But the way I see it is as long as the car is built it becomes a financial liability for MINI/BMW. They are "in the hole" until it is delivered to the dealer and me. If the car is not finished they can "meh" and kick the can down the road.

MichaelC likes this.