Any Canadians get their $250 from Hyundai?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by apu, May 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. It's from Hyundai, and exactly the same as I quoted in posted in #36 of this thread. Mine was dated July 8. Here it is again.
    [​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks (again!). Yes, I remember this now. And I also remember that it had no new information in it. Unless an owner hadn't completed the 80% reduction by July 8th this was very old news duplicating previously posted bulletins as in the hyperlink. I'm still not sure how this makes you or the dealer think there's any new software or inspection regime. To me it just restates things. But I certainly await your report after your visit and I sincerely hope it IS new news. :)

4. The new information is that they will do a software check run and if your battery passes you can charge to 100% again, if not, your battery will be scheduled for replacement. Last week the service manager said that not all batteries on the original manufacture date range need to be replaced (that's also new info). That's why this new software check is required first. They didn't have it last week yet (it was brand new), but they now do, so that is why they set up my appointment to have it done.

I don't blame you for being skeptical. There has been a lot of misinformation or confusion. But I think a lot of that has actually come from posters on this forum. My dealer could be wrong, but they have not been so far with me, and always handled all my updates/fixes properly so far.

5. Oh! I see what you're saying now. I don't read that the same way you do. That's why I was confused. I read the reassurance of resuming 100% charge after inspection and or replacement as something in the future, a bland reassurance by Hyundai (and similar to one that also appeared in the original snail mail recall notice), something that will happen when the elusive "remedy" is completed.

You and your dealer have both read it as being a new stage in the recall process. That's the difference. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Thanks for helping me and my sorry brain sort this out!

eastpole likes this.
  6. You're right about the letter being confusing and I see how you could take it that way. That's why I immediately went over to my dealer that morning (they are close by) for clarification, esp about the IF statement. The service manager came out and said they had been having meetings with Hyundai about this, incl the new software battery inspection as well as the battery replacement roll-out. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

Wildeyed likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I just got a call from my dealer service mgr, and he has cancelled my appointment for Wed. He had been talking further to Hyundai Canada about the battery recall, and apparently they will be doing it from east to west, so we in BC will be last. But they don't want to do that software check too early, which is what my appointment was for, because if it fails, I have to leave the car there and can't drive it anymore. Also sounds like there has been some delays in Canada with the new battery replacements due to supply chain issues, shipping, etc. I suspect they may also be doing the US first, because there is a smaller number there, and to avoid the buy backs.

So meanwhile I will have to hold tight until I hear further about my car. No big deal for me, as I would rather get it replaced later than earlier. I seem to be living pretty well with the 80% limit. No long trips planned for now.

BC-Doc likes this.
  9. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. We'll see how all this plays out.
    Much to my surprise there are actually more recalled Konas in the U.S. than Canada. 3558 here and over 4000 there according to Transport Canada and NHTSA websites.

10. He did say again that a smaller percentage of Cdn cars in the date range in Canada are affected by this battery issue. I don't understand why, but he mentioned that only about 10% will not pass the test. He also says Hyundai doesn't give them a lot of details, only as needed, schedule, etc. Anyway, I will keep in touch with the dealer, and maybe talk to them again in a month or so.

11. Just received the $250 virtual Mastercard by email today! I had expected to receive a physical card by regular mail. Instead received an email with a link to fill out for a virtual card. Just a card number, exp. date and CVV number. Not as handy as a physical card. Haven't used it yet but expect it will work when I do.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Nothing yet. 70 days and counting. How long did you wait between the dealer visit and the card? I sent a letter to Hyundai Customer Service this week but have heard nothing. Of course.

*I see you were March 5th. I'm May so I'll probably get it for Christmas!
    * I decided to call rather than wait for a response to my letter. They're going to check into it and get back to me. <holds breath>

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  14. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

What pisses me off, you send them an email if your interested in a vehicle and in record time, your phone will be ringing off the hook.

15. Yes, it was back in March when the dealer photographed the display showing I had set the charging limit to 80%. But what I think triggered the arrival of the virtual card email is that, about 3 weeks ago, I received a reminder that my Kona was due for the next service that they want to do every 6000 km. I phoned them back to say I was waiting for the battery replacement and they could do the service at the same time. Also told her that I had never received the $250 card and asked her to follow up. Apparently she did.

16. Well I sent my 4th email today to customer relations (original sent at beginning of July) asking the same question re: when to expect the card?
    Outside of one replay on July 14 asking to verify my VIN they have been absolutely terrible in their turtle slow response and general non communication. Common Hyundai its been nearly a month and 4 emails with no answer? Hello is anyone there?

17. I complained to Hyundai Customer Service again about the card. They put me on hold and when they came back they said they had "processed" the card and I should expect it soon, within 2 weeks. I mentioned that 100 days can hardly be characterized as "soon". But, once again, we'll see in 2 weeks if they actually processed anything. That'll be the proof.

18. VanGoghsEar

VanGoghsEar Member

Who did you contact? I’ve heard nothing from Hyundai and my dealer is clueless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Just Customer Service at 866 620 7521. The dealers literally have no control over the cards. In this instance I completely side with the dealers. It's all corporate and the contracted fulfillment company, Prepaid Digital Solutions.

VanGoghsEar likes this.
  20. I talked to Customer service on Tuesday as well and they told me gifts cards are supposedly being sent out now and we'll get them in 30-60 days. Sound familiar? :) lol

21. Ya, they literally don't know what they're talking about. They just skim-read the text window on their screen and create some freeform response. Mix a little bit of fact with a little bit of baloney and serve.

XtsKonaTrooper and EVatLast like this.
  22. Well nearly 5 weeks after my first email Hyundai CR finally responded that they are looking into my case and deflected blame to dealer likely not entering in the information correctly. Wow, really I may have believed that excuse earlier but their credibility is totally garbage at this point.

XtsKonaTrooper and Alexstd like this.
  23. I just got the same email response from them. My dealer said they resubmitted the claim (a couple weeks ago), yet Hyundai Canada says they still have not received anything.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.