Any Canadians get their $250 from Hyundai?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by apu, May 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I had a call from my dealership last week to confirm my contact details, they said it was for the gift card. On my side it's been more than 2 months.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My guess is that your 30-60 day clock just started after that dealer call. Sounds like they forgot to register your claim when you had the work done.

4. Just got off the phone with "Customer Relations". Pointless, robotic discussion about the battery recall but as we closed I mentioned the lack of gift cards so far.

I visited the dealership May 19. I got my notification email May 27. Hyundai is telling me that they got notification June 14 and that's when their 30-60 day clock started. So it's actually more like 60 - 90 days. And that's if they actually hit their own window. And who believes they will? Show of hands?

5. Nothing new, but I did get a new recall update email from them today. Nothing really new, except they are saying when I take my car in again for the remedy check, they will replace the battery IF required. I have a 2019.

And no mention of the gift card...

6. I dropped in to my dealer, and they confirmed that indeed this is a new recall notice for the battery replacement. But they haven't received the "remedy" software yet, probably next week, so didn't book an appointment.

I spoke to the service manager and he said they have had some meetings about this, and he confirmed that not all cars previously on the recall list will have their batteries replaced. The new remedy includes a check on your battery, and if it is OK, then I am good to go with 100% charging again. If not they will schedule me for a replacement.

I was a little surprised at that, as I thought all the older cars were affected. But apparently not. Mine is a 2019, and was manufactured in Dec/2018. However, the manager said that it is likely that only a small number will have to replaced, probably about 10%. That was actually bad news for me as I was hoping for a brand new battery. Not sure how informed he was, but that is what I was just told.

eastpole and Wildeyed like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

my wife got one like that today as well, but I didn't, and my car is older

9. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Realize if it's not also a Genesis dealer, pre AWD ioniq5,the Kona electric ultimate is the MOST expensive vehicle;)

10. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I'll prolly loose my noodle if my battery is not replaced after all this 80% charging. I just did a 2500km return trip across Northern Ontario and it was a major pain in the butt calculating 80% charges and finding fast ev stations.

apu likes this.
  11. Well its been a week and other than a automated response that they received my email no actual response from Hyundai. I will try one more time, then I suppose I need to try and talk to someone. Hyundai is also driving me crazy with their absolutely terrible inability to communicate with their customers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Wildeyed likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. June 14th is the date that Hyundai is reporting as "day one" for the purposes of processing the cards in Canada. We'll see if it changes but I would suggest that it's 30-60 days AFTER June 14th regardless of how much earlier we actually had the recall work completed.

apu likes this.
  14. The official recall notice R0183( to us and Transport Canada) indicates dealer BMS/charge level verification under service campaign 105059 is a non arbitrary step for recall remediation that specifically includes the language of "entitlement to a $250 gift card" for our "attention to this campaign". They obligated themselves to provide this gift card ( with Transport Canada as their witness) within a 20 business day allowance not 30 or 60 ish days. Even if you use June 14 as their arbitrary start date they are late on their promise. Which would be no big deal if they could at least make a half arsed attempt at communicating with us. FFS if you can't reply to our emails or questions over a stupid gift card that I really don't even want it really makes me wonder how you won't support me over something really important. Never mind, its a rhetorical rumination as I already know the answer :(

Wildeyed likes this.
  15. I agree with everything you are saying. It's a sad performance that's for sure.

16. Please refer to post number 74 in the Canadian Battery swap thread.

17. I checked in to my dealer again today, and they now do have the latest remedy software available. So I booked an appointment for next Wed to have it done.

What this one does is check to see IF I need a battery replacement. If not I can charge again to 100%. If not then I will be on the list to get a battery replacement. They said they haven't received any new batteries yet, but they are on the way. So probably won't be too long. This is at the Langley dealership.

Wildeyed likes this.
  18. I apologize if you've already covered this earlier but how did this dealer visit come about? Did Hyundai or the dealer inform you? Did you pester the dealer?

I'm asking because, as you know, we are supposed to get a "second letter" when a remedy is found and nobody I'm aware off in Canada has gotten that. We've just heard a few scattered reports that seem to involve vague promises from dealers about battery replacements. You're the only person bringing up tests and new software so far.

19. I had the initial battery recall/remedy not available yet a few months ago, like everyone else. Then last week, like I posted then, I received another email saying that I can book an appointment to have my battery checked to see IF it needs replacement. The dealer confirmed this a NEW BMS update, but the software remedy was not available last week, and told to come back this week. So I did and the new software remedy (to check) is now available. So as mentioned, I am booked to have it next Wed. And was told that battery replacements are on their way to this dealer right now.

And BTW, someone else got the exact same letter, as below.

20. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

I got that letter(email) but I'm not sure there is a software fix if possible. It's still say we will receive a letter from the mail, so I'll wait for that letter and see.

21. But that "new" email (also posted at https://www.r0183info.ca/) has always been there. It's not new. I checked it as soon as I got the original snail mail recall letter months ago. It mentioned the inspection and "may be replaced" way back then. It was the contradiction between the first letter - WILL be replaced -and that one - MAY be replaced - that originally alarmed me. The only thing new about it was that it was suddenly emailed to you and others... but by whom?

I'm beginning to think that dealers are going rogue and are spreading misinformation. Maybe not deliberately, as they are just as clueless most times as we are. I don't think anything has changed with the campaign at all.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  22. Well, there is something new. The email is not the same as the link (the original notice), but a follow-up. That's why I am taking my car in for the software battery check. Never had that before, just the BMS updates and I was all up to date as of a couple weeks ago. So this is definitely a new one for my car. I guess will find out next Wed.

23. It's your email but I sure wish you'd share it and let us know who sent it. Perhaps it's the legendary "second letter"?