I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. So I live in Georgia. The nearest state that sells Kona EV's is Maryland. I found a dealership that agreed to do the recalls and the service manager herself is the one who is working on my car. After 2 weeks of "let us get our ducks in a row" I took my car in yesterday. The recalls went pretty fast and they said they sent in the pictures of my battery label to Hyundai and then were going to order a battery and would call me when they were ready to go to replace it.

Today the service manager called me to tell me that she was told to stop all progress by Hyundai corporate. They didn't give her many details except to not order a battery and they would get back to her about "a special tool" and the path forward from there. I can only assume it's the Lift some other posters have talked about?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

FWIW, they don't sell the EVs in PA at all (I bought mine in Maryland too), but I have had other service done on mine at my local dealership. This is second hand, but someone else in Pittsburgh reported that one of the local dealerships is getting equipped to do the battery swaps (even though they don't sell the EVs here). YMMV.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

My local Hyundai dealer here in Florida has a mechanic who is certified on the all electric models. They said that they would be able to do the battery swap. They also own the Ford dealership that has a battery lift for the Mach E that they could use..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  5. Amazn1

Amazn1 New Member

I’m in HB California and I started the buyback process on 6/1/21 and today received the official buyback offer! All I can say is wow, that was really fast.

I couldn’t be happier about the process although I’m saddened to give up the Kona. It has been a really fun car to drive and the gas savings has been great.

Now it’s just a waiting game for the Ioniq 5!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Mattsburgh and DelRider like this.
  6. Dalicea

Dalicea New Member

By start do you mean send back the paperwork to Sedgwick or from when reaching out to Hyundai?

I sent the paperwork back to Sedgwick on 6/7 and keep getting told an offer will come in a week. I get things take some time, but I would appreciate realistic estimate from the get-go.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Amazn1

Amazn1 New Member

I mean the very first time I picked up the phone and called Hyundai Corp to get the buyback process started.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. Dalicea

Dalicea New Member

Wow, that is lighting fast! It makes you wonder what the logic is behind the scenes.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  10. Bob Fabbri

Bob Fabbri New Member

Hi, I had the same issue with my resume button.
    Dealer fixed it under warranty.
    My guess is that gas Kona owners use this feature sporadically, while EV owners use it all the time,
    I can handle most of my driving on the wheel, not relying on the pedals.
    They should have installed a more robust switch on the EV’s.
    Basically I’m sick and tired of the recsll’s.
    I’m 50minutes from the dealer and it’s a pain to drop it off for a minimum of 4 hours.
    Replace the damn battery, I’m sick and tired of software upgrades.

11. Quick sidetrack question. Did you receive a letter from Hyundai about a recall 200 resolution and that you should schedule appt. to have it taken care of? Given we are in our final steps of the buyback, I'm wondering if I should just ignore this.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Maybe so.

We have a 2020. I did the dealer visit after getting the initial buyback letter, collected my $200 gift card, and still got a specific offer and price. But that might have been the P29 campaign, not the 200 recall?

Given that they're now replacing batteries on the 2019s, or at least planning to, if you prefer the buyback and are making progress on it, it might be best not to rock the boat.

14. I'm definitely moving forward with the buyback. I'm in the final phase (i.e. already got my offer, sent back my notarized acceptance and now just waiting to make appt. to surrender car). Like you said, I'd prefer not to rock the boat or cause more confusion so thinking of ignoring the recall notice since I should be complete with the buyback process in 203 weeks.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  15. DelRider

DelRider Member

That would be my preferred end-game. Hold on to the Kona and be given an even trade towards an Ioniq. I'd say an even trade plus consideration, but the trade-in value of the Kona is so bad, an even trade WOULD be including consideration. Heck, per another thread some makes won't even take a Kona due to the recalls. Regardless, if we got a fix and our range back to 100%, I would be happy. I really like the vehicle, so it's mostly a pragmatic urge to not own a de-valued vehicle that drives my preferences. <shrug>.

16. I'm at the exact same point in the buyback process as you. I got a phone call from Hyundai last week asking me to bring the car in for the recall. I told them I had accepted the buyback offer and they immediately ended the conversation then. They said I did not need to bring the car in if it was being bought back. They were very pleasant and said thanks for the update, and that was that.

Mattsburgh and Jamas like this.
  17. Good to know. Thanks.

18. FloridaSun

I didn't get the letter yet but I'm out of town until next Tuesday. I will not schedule the appointment as they will likely give you a replacement date that is at least a month out and it makes no sense to schedule it as the car is likely going to be handed over to Sedgwick before that happens and they will probably sell it out of state.. Also, don't want to risk delaying the handover. I doubt that the letter is just for those in a buyback but all affected Kona EV owners.

19. FloridaSun

Sedgwick representative called me about surrender of the car.. I'm out of town, so he will call me on Tuesday morning to schedule for the same day.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  20. For those close to surrendering, when did you agree on the location?

Before I was passed to Sedgwick, the HMA person and I discussed location. My understanding was that it would be decided along with the time and date. But she needed a dealer, so I gave her the closest one. Now I'm about to schedule the surrender and that dealer would be a big logistical hassle. But Sedgwick says that it's been locked in.

If you're early in the process and your handover location is uncertain, make sure you understand when this is determined, and preferably get it in writing.

21. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

How much schedule flexibility did you get? I don't suppose they will wait a few weeks for me? :p

22. I’m only a day or two behind you as far as when I submitted my acceptance, so I should be hearing soon.

FloridaSun likes this.
  23. 2019KonaEVUlt

2019KonaEVUlt New Member

How long has it been since you sent in your accepted buyback/repurchase offer?