I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Yep, I like that.

Usually the big one climbs forward and sits in the driver seat

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

If you look at the sticker on the battery (you will have to get down on the ground near the rear left tire), you should be able to see the date that the battery assembly was manufactured. It won't be all that easy to spot, but all you will really need to see this is a flashlight. Or a smartphone with a flash. If I were you, I would make an effort to get a photo of the sticker and post it here.

4. Here you go.
    battery label_100840.JPG

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Oh, wait - I am off by a year. They introduced the change in March 2020, but your battery was made in Feb 2019.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. While checking the MyHyundai app I noticed that the charge management used to select the percentage of charge on DC and AC can now be set to 100% on my Kona. I was told by the Hyundai service center that I could charge to 100% and the app now reflects that. I hope they know what they are doing!
    Screenshot_20210627-210458.png

9. Forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere but did your VIN get flagged specifically for the "battery recall" campaign?

10. It's not the Lemon Law that says whether they'll offer a buy back or not. They are just using it as a guide for the mileage deduction. I'm in Pittsburgh too, and so is Sean. Where did you buy your Kona? I got mine from Thomas Hyundai in Cumberland.

11. Yes it did.
    I received an email from Hyundai stating that it was included in the recall, it showed up on the NHTSA recall list when I entered my VIN number and when I brought it to my dealer for service it showed up on their list as being an incomplete recall for my vehicle. Now when I check for any open recalls anywhere, it shows as zero open. When I check on the MyHyundai app, with my VIN number, it shows all of the recalls as being completed.
    Screenshot_20210628-045052.png

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I would call Hyundai, it's very confusing that they would including you in P29 which set the max charge to 80%, then change it back to 100% without changing the battery. Personally I would want something in writing as to why they think suddenly just a software change fixed the problem. In other words why were you suddenly now told you could safely charge to 100%, what changed? (is it REALLY 100% or is it lying to you? I mean, did they move the goalposts? If you charge to 100% is the GOM what it used to be for 100% ?)

14. It appears like your dealer incorrectly "completed" recall campaign 200 as its unlikely he replaced the traction battery as listed in the recall language without your knowledge.

15. Excellent point, Apu. 200 specifically says "and battery system assembly replacement" - it doesn't sound like that happened. I mean I'd hope they would have told you if they replaced the entire battery pack.

Joev, you said "I hope they know what they are doing", I think equally relevant would be, this which I say to you: I hope you know what they're doing (and did). I would definitely be on the phone with Hyundai and the dealer, today.

16. Update to our status. Got a call from Hyundai today, telling us that they are now replacing batteries for recall 200 and that the batteries will be able to charge to 100%. Also said dealer should be able to get a battery within 2 weeks—no buyback offered. My wife pointed out that our car is inoperable and at the dealer and the person who called seemed to not be aware of that. They then said they would speak with the service person (who was off today) and get back to us. Need to ask and insure that battery will still have lifetime warranty and that we get some kind of reimbursement for making payments on our lease for 3 months without having a car. The saga continues.

17. 2019KonaEVUlt

2019KonaEVUlt New Member

I'm sorry to hear this. Hopefully they work with you and try to make this right by reimbursing you for these payments. I will think good thoughts for you. Hyundai has really botched this up in terms of clear communication with owners.

Esprit1st, electriceddy and BC-Doc like this.
  18. Warranty definitely intact, I specifically asked this and they were very clear that the new battery would be new not refurbished, and that the lifetime warranty persists.

Esprit1st likes this.
  19. I specifically asked the service manager if they would help advocate for me for a replacement battery. He said they would (they won't be paying for it, so why not?) I would still ask for this. My confidence in the battery software updates is not satisfactory. It will affect the value of your car as well.

Jolee and Jennifer like this.
  20. I contacted HQ again yesterday. Finally got an email response: “HMA will offer to repurchase your vehicle” and a letter indicating I should have a copy of the sales contract, registration and title ready. I do and I will. I look forward to hearing how much they’ll pay for a car with 2700 miles on it.

Mattsburgh and Wildeyed like this.
  21. Apologies for repeating myself, but your information is not helpful unless you have entered your vehicle year and location (and preferably trim) in the Location field of your profile so we can see it in your posts. It only takes a few seconds. Start here.

HMA policy is different for 2019 and 2020 vehicles; Repurchase details differ from state to state. There are over 500 posts in this thread; I can't remember which you have and where you are. Help me out, please.

22. 2020 EV, Seattle

23. Then the relevant law for you to figure out what they will deduct for mileage is:

Offset for Use
    When a manufacturer replaces or repurchases a vehicle, they have a right under Lemon Law to be reimbursed for use of the vehicle which is called the offset for use. The offset for use is computed by multiplying the number of miles directly attributable to use times the purchase price (in the case of a lease, purchase price is the vehicle’s capitalized cost if disclosed in the lease or if not disclosed then the manufacturer’s suggested retail price) and dividing by 120,000 (Note: divide by 25,000 for a motorcycle).

Example: Based on a purchase price of $12,000 and 10,000 miles attributable to a consumer’s use, the reasonable offset for use would be:

($12,000) x (10,000 miles) / 120,000 = $1,000

Full details here: https://www.carlemon.com/washington-lemon-law-rights-consumer-guide.html