I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. I had my appointment today. The tech told me the battery test showed no problems and they were instructed to take a picture of it and send it to Hyundai. I am very skeptical that this was really a "test" or that everything was just fine. I bought my car in March 2019 in New Jersey. It was among the first to get to NJ.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Moe0059

Moe0059 New Member

Hey all, new to the forum and just catching all this.

2019 Kona EV, 18300miles, Pittsburgh PA

car is currently with local Hyundai dealer and I was given a loaner. They advised that they had completed just 1 other replacement in the city, and that took 3 months!

I was never given the option for a buyback.

4. I received my buy-back offer from Sedgwick yesterday. As previously indicated the offer was very fair and based upon the mileage of the car as a deduction against the MA lemon law requirements. I signed the papers and returned them.

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Did you contact Corporate? Your dealer will not offer you a buyback. It appears that since a Remedy is available, they no longer offer any buybacks..

Mattsburgh likes this.
  6. Moe0059

Moe0059 New Member

Corporate were the ones that called me and arranged the service appointment. I am not sure if it is no longer an option, but PA has a mileage cap on lemons at 12000miles.

i don’t mind the repair. We love our Car, and with a replacement car, I am not too bothered.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

My experience with Hyundai and Sedgwick has been very positive throughout the process.. They are usually responsive when you call or e-mail..

Toolworker likes this.
  9. FloridaSun

I don't really think that they looked at Lemon law eligibility.. During the time that no remedy was available, they offered buybacks to anyone asking for one.. Since remedy is available, they no longer do buybacks. I personally am NOT protected by any LEMON LAW and they are buying back my car. (bought in Maryland and Maryland lemon law only covers cars first REGISTERED in Maryland and I live in Florida which only covers cars PURCHASED in Florida.. So, as I neither purchased in Florida or initially registered in Maryland, I'm not covered under either lemon law. Sedgwick did the buyback calculation based on FLORIDA lemon law which is better than Maryland.. I guess I lucked out..
    I also love the car and had ZERO issues with it. The only reason why I asked for a buyback was due to lack of being able to trade in the car as Tesla did not accept trade ins with open recalls. Selling it privately or to a dealer was not an option because of the reduced value due to the open recall.. I just needed a bigger car that can tow a trailer and has the Supercharger Network.. The reason I switched to Tesla Model Y was due to my changing needs and not due to any issues with the Kona.. Kona has been PHENOMENAL!!

Moe0059 likes this.
  10. Deborah Wassel

Deborah Wassel New Member

I finally got a hold of my case manager to explain why my buyback request was denied. He said that Hyundai is no longer repurchasing vehicles with the battery issue because "there's a fix available." He said he needed time to see what dealerships in my area had the proper parts. I guess I'm happy to get my battery replaced (if they're in fact telling me the truth), but their lack of responsiveness and the ridiculous runaround has really soured me on Hyundai.

11. 2019KonaEVUlt

2019KonaEVUlt New Member

Unless they have a new battery pack on its way to you and able to be installed by July I would fight this. Especially since 2 more Kona EVs just caught on fire this week while not charging and with SOC under 80%. One was a 2020 which they haven't even offered a recall on.

Moe0059 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. For those in the middle of the process, a quick update:

First contact from Sedgwick (when they requested my official paperwork) to the date of actual offer in writing: Exactly 5 weeks.

Note that the process still has a way to go. Here's what I've been told. Now that I've accepted their offer, they will send another form that I will need to sign and get notarized, as mentioned above by Jamas. Then they request a check from Hyundai. That takes 2-3 weeks. Once Sedgwick receives the check they will have a transfer agent assigned to me and that person will contact me to set up an in person meeting to complete the process. That meeting will also likely be 2 or 3 weeks after that point - if I understand correctly. I plan to follow up and ask.

14. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

I'm in the middle of the process: buyback process approved by Hyundai, documents sent to Sedgwick, waiting for response. I'm now past when the person at Sedgwick says I should've received a response. I'm torn between following up (in case they decide to stop the buyback process even though they've already agreed to do it) and dragging my feet (since the cars I want aren't available yet).

15. Moe0059

Moe0059 New Member

Interesting about Tesla and not accepting trade in. I am in the process of purchasing a Tesla and for a little while considered trading it in. Tesla asked for proof that the recalls had been adressed, so I sent them a scan of all the “completed” recall appointments and it clearly stated the battery is unresolved.

tesla gave me an offer on the car, which was very low, but I got more than KBB value with other vendors.

In the end we may keep it, given the new battery.

16. FloridaSun

I was unable to convince the wife to keep the Kona and sell her i3. She loves her i3.. I would have loved to keep the Kona.

17. I'm in the exact same spot as you and currently I'm not pushing anything. The longer they drag their feet the more options I will have. They offered the buyback, so they can't pull back on it.

18. FloridaSun

One thing to consider is the lifetime battery warranty.. Once you let go of the car, you won't find another EV with lifetime battery warranty. So, if the Kona works for your needs and you don't really want any other EV because the Kona can fulfill your vehicular needs, it may be a better option to get the new battery and keep it.. If I wouldn't need Supercharger access, towing ability and more space, I would keep the Kona forever..
    I'm really bummed out because the wife didn't want to keep the Kona for herself but instead opted to keep her BMW i3.. just because she likes the looks of the i3 better... 300 mile range vs. 120 mile range on the i3.. and yet, she wants to keep the 120 mile range car.. Oh well...

19. I took my 2019 Kona Ultimate to my local dealer and had all of the recalls, campaigns and service bulletins taken care of last week.
    When I checked the "MyHyundai" app, all of the work that was performed at the dealer showed up as completed.
    I thought that that would be a good thing so I called Hyundai customer care at 1-800-633-5151 and they also confirmed that no other repairs were necessary. So I questioned the battery replacement. They said that the dealer performed an inspection / battery check and it passed. They also explained that there is no reason for them to replace the battery at this point. I continue to ask them for more information but they had nothing to add. I question them about charging to 100% and they told me I could without any issues or concerns.
    So at this point with no warranty repairs necessary and no reduction in state of charge to 80%, I now have the full use of the vehicle I purchased and enjoy driving, AS IT SHOULD BE!

Clamps, ericy, Esprit1st and 2 others like this.
  20. You have a 2019 and they are telling you that it's NOT going to be getting a new battery because they "inspected" it and it "passed"? What kind of new baloney is that?

Clamps, Jolee and electriceddy like this.
  21. Yeah, that's a valid point and I really am going to wait as long as possible. I'm not calling Sedgwick or Hyundai to push things. The Ioniq 5 is currently really the only alternative for me. Just a tad bigger, air vents in the back (doggies will love that) and V2L.
    That sounds strange. I wouldn't count on what the customer care team says. At least get it in writing from corporate.

electriceddy likes this.
  22. Like I mentioned, all of this information is confusing and sometimes conflicting.

On my work order from my dealer it shows the recall 200 as being completed. I called Hyundai, looked at the my Hyundai app and checked the national recall list and everything shows it is completed. I can only go with what facts I have in front of me. Hopefully they are all correct.

23. The V2L I believe will match the N.A standard "dedicated outlet" 120V @15A 1800W (1440W continuous) which is a really nice option.
    As far as the doggies, best behaved gets the cooler seat:D