For those involved in the Buyback program: what are your plans after?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I "opened a case" with Hyundai corporate. They called back within 48 hours and mentioned buyback was an option once P29 is applied and they confirm that my car is one of the ones affected by the recall. See this thread for specifics: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/i-was-told-today-because-of-recall-200-hyundai-wants-buy-back-our-cars.11047/

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just a reminder: this thread is not for discussing the buyback, how to do the buyback, who has done the buyback, how do I do the buyback, what is the number to call, etc.

If you need information on any of that, or want to discuss it, please go here: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/i-was-told-today-because-of-recall-200-hyundai-wants-buy-back-our-cars.11047/

This thread is strictly to discuss: if you are going to let Hyundai buy your car back, what are your plans after that? Will you replace the car with a new one, a used one? If so, how is your car shopping going and what is your thought process on what vehicles appeal to you?

4. Since I am seriously considering purchasing a 2022 Kona after my buy-back, I’d like to better understand all the enhancements done since the 2019 model (Ultimate). Here’s my current understanding. Can anyone confirm this for the US market?

- Addition of battery heater
    - Addition of heat pump
    - Additional sound dampening
    - Restyled front bumper
    - Larger media console
    - New dash display
    - USB replaced SD for nav software

Did I miss anything or get anything wrong?

5. Shark

Shark Active Member

I believe this thread will interest you:
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/2022-kona-ev-any-more-details.11020/

6. There's a thread on that too, but it's on topic here as well.

The 2022 was my choice initially, but is not any longer. We won't know exactly what the U.S. specs are until Hyundai releases them, but the Ultimate will be eliminated, and probably the HUD with it. So for me, waiting for a 2022 is sounding less attractive.

@Mattsburgh got me to look at the RAV4 Prime specs. The top of the line has all the features of the Ultimate and some other good ones, at about the same price. I had one of the early plug-in Priuses, but it kept turning the ICE on when more power was needed. The RAV4 Prime has a mode that blocks that, but I suspect it won't have the Kona's pickup. But I will definitely test drive it. With 42 EV miles, I will rarely turn the ICE on.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. If the HUD is the only thing missing, I'm fine with that. I have it but barely use it. I'm still not clear on the heat pump as I've read conflicting information about its availability in the US market. That would be a really nice to have as it should improve range a bit in the winter with the heat running. I initially liked the Rav4 Prime, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked the general concept of hybrids since you're still dealing with an ICE and all its pitfalls. The range on the Kona is more than adequate for my needs so I see no advantage to a hybrid.

Mattsburgh and apu like this.
  9. I’ve sworn to only ever buy BEVs and unfortunately this is a weird time of lots of new EVs announced but not really available yet.

I had an ID.4 reservation before my Kona popped up on the market so I guess that’s back in the running. I think Model 3 is the way to go though. (If only the low level F150 were coming sooner)

10. Plus the thing that most people don't appreciate is that many hybrids boot you out of all electric mode in cold of winter or with almost any call for cabin heat. Generally speaking the smaller hybrid batteries can't manage the resistance load for too long or your limited all electric ranges drops in half if you don't want to freeze. Not to mention it would drive me crazy to do even more maintenance on a vehicle twice as complicated . The older I get the more I appreciate not doing oil changes in my drive way.

Esprit1st, Fastnf and Toolworker like this.
  11. 2019KonaEVUlt

2019KonaEVUlt New Member

As crazy as it sounds I fully planned on getting a 2022 Kona EV to replace my 2019. I honestly love the way my Kona drives (aside from slightly elevated NVH on the highway) and the refresh looks like a decent improvement over the current model. With that being said, after nearly 9 weeks of working with Hyundai/Sedgewick to complete my buyback and still not having an acceptable offer in front of me (due to them not including my registration fees and most recent payments) as well as witnessing their complete silence and lack transparency regarding a timely and clear permanent fix to the problem I am pretty much done with Hyundai at this point.

I just placed a deposit on the newly announced AWD ID.4. The range/efficiency/infotainment won't be quite as good as the Kona, but it's a significant step up in terms of NVH, roominess, and traction/acceleration. It's not a perfect vehicle, but given the overall value (which includes free EA fast charging) it seems like my best option. It is not much more than a loaded Kona and $6-7k cheaper than the a comparable Mach-E or Model Y.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. @2019KonaEVUlt I'm in the same boat. I planned on a 2022 Kona, but can't rely on them being available when Hyundai/Sedgwick finally tell me to hurry up and turn in my Kona, and don't think they will be equipped as I want them. I don't have a clear answer yet. I might wind up with an interim used Volt or something and wait for a better choice.

What's your delivery time for the ID.4? (And where are you located?)

Were you able to drive one? I wonder how it handles. That's the best thing about the Kona.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  14. Nice - Starting at $44,995 in Canada, probably the best buy considering the faster 125kW charging;)
    Volkswagen’s ID.4 to cost $44,995 in Canada, qualifying for federal rebate (electricautonomy.ca)

15. 2019KonaEVUlt

2019KonaEVUlt New Member

I am located in NV. We looked at used cars a bit as well, but with the new car chip shortage used car prices are insane. BMW i3s and Volts are going for $5-$6k more than they were a year ago. We replaced my spouses Bolt with a new Elantra Hybrid (Got $1500 off sticker + 0% financing for 60 months and no payments for 90 days). Once you factor in the 3 years of free maintenance it seemed like a solid choice for us. After the Kona is gone we will have to deal with having only 1 car - not a big deal for us as we live and work together. The current timeline for the AWD ID.4 is 4th quarter of this year so I likely have a 4-6 month wait ahead of me. We did drive the RWD ID.4 and found it to be refined, but not as light on it's feet compared to the Kona (it is noticeably slower and heavier). On the plus side, it is overall more comfortable and the display quality is pretty stellar for a mainstream car. The AWD should fix the acceleration issue as it is nearly 2 seconds quicker to 60 than the RWD model (5.7 vs. 7.6).

Mattsburgh likes this.
  16. Interesting. So my original calculation - that the built-in $7.5k profit from the tax credit would cover the sales tax and other costs of buying a new car - won't apply if I buy a used car.

I looked at the RAV4, but would want one with the XSE Premium package, and don't see any of those in stock around here.

So I am back to seeing what the best deal is on either a 2021 Ultimate or, if I can find one and am willing to pay the upcharge, a Mach-E.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  17. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

The magic phrase seems to be "lemon law"

18. Yeah, you hit the same thing I did. After weeks and research (YouTube videos lol) the RAV4 grew on me to the point where I decided it was going to be the right choice. (also, I don't believe the Tucson PHEV will be available in time for me). But then the problem is the XSE is in such small supply. I am dealing with Toyota dealers in NY and MD mostly, because PA is only literally getting a handful of RAV4 Primes, whereas the zero emission states are getting a lot more.

Anyway, one of the dealers told me "for every 1 XSE I'm getting 40 SE trims" and when I asked why he said apparently the chip shortage is a much bigger factor for the XSE. That said, I was able to find several XSE's in both NY and MD that were the color I wanted and all the packages. But everyone wants $5k over MSRP. I said hard no to that. I found a dealer selling at MSRP and I'm going with them but I also managed to talk myself out of the XSE and I'm getting the SE instead. The more I really pushed myself and thought about it, there wasn't anything in the XSE that was worth $10k more and given I just don't have the time to wait, I put a deposit down on the SE a week ago.

Since you're in CA I would think you could definitely get your hands on an XSE but it will require negotiating, picking a car that is coming in weeks or a month from now, and putting a deposit down ahead of time. From what I can tell most are sold before they reach the dealer lot.

19. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I test drove the ID 4. Max charge range about 260. Uses brushless DC motor, so not nearly as efficient as a Kona. Lucky to get 4 miles/kWh. Turn on the A/C and your 260 drops to 215. I didn't try the heater but it is said to be better than Kona's, something about battery heat.
    Smooth and quiet. Complicated multi level touch screen controls.

20. I'll never get over how efficient the Kona is at regen. It's almost like magic. I frequently average 5 miles/kW, except on the highway of course.

Esprit1st and Toolworker like this.
  21. My picture simplified last night when I ruled out the Mach-E. The local dealer has some lower trim Mach-Es available, but my old eyes need good headlamps and I was concerned about the LED reflector headlamps instead of the LED projector headlamps on the higher trims.

The reflector headlamps are bright enough. But the lack of cornering lights was a huge problem. The automatic high beams didn't kick in until 32 mph vs. 25 on the Kona, which would keep them off on the twisty road I live on. There were a number of other fiddly little things that bothered me, most of which could be fixed in software, and the Mach-E has OTA updates to compete with Tesla. But who knows how attentive they will be to polishing the irritants away?

So it's down to the '21 or '22 Kona, and likely the '21. I'll probably have to turn in my '20 around the end of July. So the choice is to buy a '21 now, or wait until the end of July when the $3,000 cash back may be gone (but will probably be there or even increased) and I might have to take a color I don't want. And the '22s might be in the picture by then, but I'm not convinced I would want one. With the Ioniq 5 and other EVs coming out, I'm assuming that whatever I get now, I'll be driving something else in 6 months to 2 years.

22. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

There is something about the Kona's AC system.. Compared to other cars, it barely uses electricity. Sure, the Kona's cabin is small but the difference in AC efficiency compared to my Model Y is HUUUUUGE!!

23. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

I thought you mentioned the charging speed would only be 3kW which would be slow as most BEV are 7kW,or faster. Given the charging infrastructure,there are moments where I would consider a PHEV,but I don't given the potential for the ICE engine having more issues than the EV side:confused: Toyota made a RAV4 BEV years ago,and I think people liked it,no CHAdeMO,or CCS at the time if I recall correctly from Transport Evolve's vlog.