For those involved in the Buyback program: what are your plans after?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Curious what others are thinking and planning. Let's assume for posts here that you'll end up accepting their offer. Obviously we all realize rejecting the offer and keeping the car is an option but I'm asking this question for those that do sell their cars back: what is your thought process on what you do next?

Here is mine: My life has changed significantly since I bought the Kona. IF this defect hadn't happened or IF they were replacing my battery in a reasonable time frame, I'd be happy to keep my 2019 Kona Electric that I love... but given that those things aren't happening and given that I'm "starting over" again from square one, I'm almost certain I'm not going to buy another EV right now. One reason I just mentioned about my life changing in the past 2 years, but another is that I keep reading more about massive improvements in battery tech on the near horizon and I think maybe I'll wait just a little while for some of those to come out. I think within 5 years we're going to see cars charging in 5-10 minutes, or at least 80% in 5-10 minutes. (I mean if it's our Konas that's all we can charge anyway, amirite? :cool: thank you, I'll be here all week folks!)

Ok seriously though, I am moving this year and expect to have longer and more frequent road trips, and as such I've decided I think I'm going to go with a PHEV for the foreseeable future with the expectation that I'll probably go back to a full EV in 5-10 years - hopefully by then we'll have solid state batteries or something similar but if not I'll likely still be ready by then to go back to full EV.

Anyway, back to the PHEV options, I kind of started with the RAV 4 Prime, and then realized the Escape now also comes in a PHEV. But then I found out Hyundai is coming out with a PHEV Tucson and Santa Fe, too. I think I've settled on the Tucson PHEV ... if I can get one, of course.

Here's my analysis of the options:

• RAV4 Prime
      • Pros: Great EV mode range of over 40 miles. Toyota typically has very high quality and reliability. Full Fed tax rebate of $7500 b/c the battery is so large (Ford and Hyundai will still get $6,000+ )
      • Cons: Slow 3.3 kW charger is standard, have to pay extra for 6.6 and only available as package on top trim. Vehicle is very difficult to get. No wireless AA. RAV 4 actually mediocre reliability, esp. for Toyota. I think the car is kind of ugly.
    • Ford Escape PHEV
      • Pros: Very good EV Range of 38 miles. 6.6 kW (? maybe) charger standard. I had a Ford C-Max PHEV and it had excellent reliability, Sync 3 was a breeze, too.
      • Cons: Car looks ok, a bit outdated though. No wireless AA. AWD not available on the PHEV version. Contrary to my personal experience with the Ford C-Max PHEV, the Escape in general has had terrible reliability.
    • Hyundai Tucson PHEV
      • Pros: Stunning looks inside and out. Good EV Range of 32 miles. 7.2 kW onboard charging standard on all trims. All new vehicle. AWD standard on all trims. Wireless AA avail. on smaller 8 in screen but not 10 in (hope for future software updates to fix that?). Best warranty of the 3 by far.
      • Cons: All new vehicle (unknown reliability). Not as powerful as the Ford or Toyota, and less EV range than either.
    The Tucson PHEV isn't available anywhere (in the US) yet but the Hybrid is and I drove one today. It looks inside like a way more luxurious and bigger vehicle than it is. But it drives like the mid sized SUV it actually is. The seat was one of the best I've ever sat in, and it went back like a mile, a boon for anyone with long legs. I really liked everything about it except the transmission shifting seemed pretty herky jerky to me, obviously that would at least be improved by the PHEV since a lot of city driving would have no shifting.

Anyway, I suspect I'm in the minority here and most people are probably going to get another EV. Would be interested to hear what ones are at the top of your lists.

BC-Doc and Shark like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Shark

Shark Active Member

Excellent post.

I've thought about a PHEV myself, and of course like anything else there are plusses and minuses.

My largest concerns are the complexity of PHEV (nothing beats the simplicity of EV), but of course if you buy a Hyundai/Kia product you have long term warranty protection. And I assume a PHEV requires as much maintenance as any ICE?

One question...with a PHEV if you make almost all short trips, could it be weeks if not months between the times the ICE engine starts? Is that problematic at all? I assume if you were not going to use a tank of fuel at least every couple of month you would want to use fuel stabilizer?

Mattsburgh likes this.
  4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I went with VW ID.4 myself. I had to wait a good 5 months or so to get the thing, and my wife and I were sharing one car for 3 of those months. I put in the reservation shortly after reservations opened, and that was while the Kona was still in the shop awaiting a new battery.

I briefly considered getting another Kona, but ultimately decided that the tech in the Kona is already several years old and there were other shortcomings. The 2019 Kona had no battery heater, so winter charging was frankly awful. The max charge rates in the best case is substantially less than any new design, the back seat was uncomfortably small for adults, and the cargo capacity was quite limited.

There are tons of EV options coming to marking now. VW, Ford, Nissan and Hyundai are the main ones.

I know someone who has the Volt, and he is diligent about charging the car when available. His car keeps track of the age of the fuel, and when it gets too old, it forces him to burn it off and refuel. So fuel stabilizer is never really required as the fuel never gets old enough. I assume that other PHEV have similar features.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  5. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

I've sworn off oil changes and gas pumps for the future, so I'm sticking with EVs going forward. I ended up ordering a Mach-E and am looking now to see if I can "skip the line", as the order queue is likely >6 months, and I suspect the buyback will complete in the next month or 2 maybe. Being without a car wouldn't be a disaster (we can share the other car in the family), but it's certainly inconvenient.

navguy12 and Mattsburgh like this.
  6. Pobre

Pobre Member

the main reason I wouldn't want to go PHEV or Hybrid route, is the maintenance. it still has an engine that you will have to maintain and an electric battery that you will eventually also worry about. I pretty much do all the basic routine maintenance of my cars and got really tired of doing it. EV route is what I chose because of this. my 2019 Kona EV has a great battery replacement warranty and has very little maintenance... suits my needs.

but IF I were to get a PHEV, the RAV4 Prime is my main choice (for the performance), then the Hyundai (for the warranty)...

Mattsburgh likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

For all of these, it is easy to make a reservation, and easy to get your money back if you change your mind. So keep an eye out for cancelled reservations. When you are ready, you can start calling around to see what might be available.

For VW, the dealers aren't allowed markups for people with reservations. If someone cancels, the dealer can sell for whatever they can get for the car. I don't know if something similar applies to Ford.

9. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Ford corporate apparently discourages dealers from ADM (Dealer Markup), but it does still happen. A dealer near me added nearly $10k to the MSRP. I laughed at them and told them I would never do business with them just because of that. Others have reported the dealers that do this to Ford and in some cases the dealers removed the ADM and sold the car. Not sure what happened with this one, but the car did disappear from their site. So I suppose someone may have bought it for $10k over.... (or they caved)

Mattsburgh likes this.
  10. After my buy back, I'll have my older 2009 CRV to fall back on until I decide what to do. My daughter was using it, but she'll be going off to college so it just would've sat idle.

I will, however, eventually buy another EV. Right now, I'm considering a Tesla Model Y or maybe the new Ioniq 5. Either way, I'm not going to rush it for the following reasons:

1. I want to wait for the Green New Deal legislation to see if they restore the federal rebates for the Teslas. There is a good chance that they will by the end of the year (though I hope Tesla doesn't take advantage of that and hike up the prices)

2. Tesla will eventually start manufacturing their Model Y's with the new 4860 cells (starting in Germany first, then Texas). Don't know the exact time lines yet, but this could bring some additional improvements such as longer range and faster charge times.

3. I want to see what the Ioniq 5 is all about. Dealers should start getting them later this year.

Overall, I think spring of 2022 will probably be the earliest that I purchase a new car.

navguy12, Domenick and Mattsburgh like this.
  11. Bottom line up front: I'll probably look for a great deal on a 2021 Kona EV, and figure that the $7500 tax credit will pay for the cost of switching cars again in a year or so. I wonder if the $3000 cash back will increase on June 1, or decrease.

I will stick with an EV. I'm with Jamas in thinking that some time in 2022 would be a better time to make a choice, with the Ioniq 5 and other new cars coming out. But that's not an option; Hyundai will want my car back in about a month.

Among what's out there today, the only other one I'd consider is the Ford Mach-E. After several test drives, including an AWD, I feel it doesn't handle as well as the Kona, which was the only car that put a smile on my face in late 2019. It's got some features I'd like, but I'd miss the heads-up display and cornering lights, and Ford's nav system is brain-damaged.

I wish the 2022 Kona EV were out now, just so I could compare prices and see if there's any new features on the U.S. model that I'd really want. But I'm guessing not, and dealers should be really eager right now to move the 2021's out.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I think it would be easy to go a week or two without the engine running, but I think I would just plan to make sure and run the gas engine every couple weeks for a bit if I hadn't already. I'm retired and plan to do a lot of traveling though so I think it's likely at least once every week or every 2 weeks I'll be taking longer trips that will use some gas. But yeah, ideally 95% of city driving to grocery stores, Home Depot, restaurants, that kind of thing would all hopefully be gas free.

14. Enjoy the ID.4, it looks like a great car, I saw one and talked with the owners in Raleigh a few weeks ago. I didn't realize the Volt did that, that is a fantastic feature and hopefully any of the new PHEVs like the ones I mentioned above would have this, too.

15. NRH

NRH Active Member

I'm spoiled on gas now. The maintenance seems so archaic. My Tundra is in the shop once every 3 months or so for oil and various other needs. I'll replace that with electric when I can.

So, definitely replacing the Kona with another EV. Something with faster DC charging would be my only wish, otherwise the Kona is perfect for us. Probably, when we compare the numbers, it'll make the most sense to just get another Kona, but I've reserved an ID4 as well, and I'd certainly look at an Ioniq 5. Bigger is nice, but are we willing to pay an extra 5 or 10 grand for extra space that we mostly don't use? Probably not.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  16. My local dealer said they expect the 2022 Kona Electric to be out by end of June - but take with a grain of salt because I'm in PA and that dealership isn't even getting any , no matter when they come out. When I started pondering what comes next (a few weeks ago) one of the questions I kept asking was whether the 22 Kona Electric or the 22 Tucson PHEV would come out first, or would they come out around the same time. On the corporate website the Tucson says "summer 2022" while the Kona says "spring 2022" which would lead me to believe it'll hit first.

They're actually doing a live showroom on the Hyundai site right now, so I asked a ton of questions and he answered them. He waffled a bit but said he isn't sure June or July but he thinks the PHEV will be out in 4-6 weeks. He asked if the PHEV was what I'm interested in and I said yes, I have a Kona Electric but Hyundai is buying it back. He read all of that live, it was kind of funny. I threw him a bone and told him the Kona was the best car I've ever owned, and he read that, too.

17. NRH

NRH Active Member

Waiting for further developments makes some sense, but I think that'll always be there. In 5 years stuff will be more advanced. 5 years after that other stuff will have improved. Until then, I'm really happy with where the current tech is, and I know I'm reducing carbon and saving on cost of ownership, over any other kind of vehicle.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  18. Yeah that's a great point. That's why I think even if I go with a PHEV for now, in about 5 years I'll be back to full EV whether there is incredible battery tech advancements by then or not. Like you said, there will always be something new and exciting coming just around the corner.

I am impressed by how confident most folks are to stick with full EV. I am still not entirely sure I'll backslide to the PHEV, but still leaning that way.

19. NRH

NRH Active Member

FWIW, I loved our EV but wasn't convinced it was a viable car for long road trips until the last couple months. In that time we've done a bunch of 600 mile drives, and while it's not without a couple minor early-adopter moments, the trips were great. Those experiences really increased my conviction that full EV is the way to go, when at all possible. Our family will go EV as soon as we can - the thing that holds us back from only having EVs is simply charging infrastructure to our north. We live on the edge of hundreds of miles of deep wilderness, and we do a fair amount of adventuring up there. Driving 2 hours on a dirt road without seeing electricity of any sort is not uncommon. When I can charge at a few more places in towns at the edges of those forests, I'll replace my truck with an EV pickup or tow-capable SUV.

20. I just drove my Kona about 650 miles each way to SC and back and had a similar experience. Sure it's a little work to plan ahead where to charge but it's not a big deal. Usually I'm ready to stop and have a break anyway. I was planning to drive it across country this fall, and even mapped out everything and have all my hotel reservations and planned charging stops, but of course now I expect the car will be gone by then. So I wasted a lot of time planning that all out lol.

21. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

I (very) briefly drove a company BMW i3 with the range extender, and it did this too. It actually drove me crazy and I would never buy one. I _would_ like to replace my Forester with a PHEV minivan... but my wife will only buy Japanese and they still haven't quite gotten there.

I just started the buyback process on my 2019. I was actually intending to replace it in the next 12 months to size up... but my timeline might be a bit messed up now.
    • Tesla -- I intensely dislike the interior/control scheme of the Model 3/Y. Although their fit and finish has supposedly improved, it is hard to just forgive a company for things like "seatbelts aren't attached" and "oops, the roof fell off". I know way, way too much about some of their other extremely questionable SW and HW engineering decisions. So yeah, no Tesla.
    • Volvo XC40 Recharge -- I test drove the XC40 Recharge a few months ago and liked it, but it had a bunch of issues that were hard to live with on a $55k+ car. The software was totally unfinished, though supposedly this is improving. No Carplay (apparently fixed now), no HD Radio (but I guess they give you unlimited LTE so you can just use Tune-In?), no power button (trying to get the climate control to come on and stay on after the driver gets out is very awkward). My main issue was the consumption. I ran a 80mph test and got less than 2 mi/kWh (which, in another gripe, they only display as kWh/100mi... which is back-asswards as you want that number to be low...). That's really low. So much so that I probably couldn't go see my in-laws in the winter without a charge stop.
    • Volvo C40 -- This looks promising in that it probably gets better highway mileage than the XC40... but that's not for sure and there isn't a release date yet.
    • VW ID4 -- I was interested in this... until it came out. I'm really not a fan of all the capacitive buttons combined with lack of physical switches. Also, the AWD model is delayed until... Q4?
    • Audi Q4 etron -- I think this is my top choice now. It is looking as pricey as the XC40, but is larger interior, better range and probably fixes the interior/controls issues of the ID4.
    • Toyota BZ4X -- After the numerous issues with the Kona, my wife is really pushing for us to go back to Japanese cars. But this has zero technical info, and no release date.
    • Ionic 5 / EV6 -- As much as I'd like an 800V platform, I'm having a hard time going with Hyundai/Kia again. Will I need to travel 2 hours just to see the car? With the dealership experience still suck? Will it have issues that the manufacturer and dealership refuse to acknowledge?

BC-Doc and Mattsburgh like this.
  22. I'm happy there are other people as picky as me lol. I really hate the red stitching in the RAV4 Prime interior and have to admit it's more of the reason that I don't like the car than it probably should be :)

Thanks for posting about the Volvo, I was wondering about that but the price tag kept me from seriously considering it. Same with the Lincoln Corsair PHEV which is the luxury version of the Escape PHEV. I could afford it but I'd probably be annoyed by very small things if I put that much into a new car lol.

I have some friends that insist I'm going to get a Tesla someday but I don't see it. First off reliability is a huge factor for me and Tesla doesn't have it, not even close. Second I like at least a traditional dash even if it's all digital. An ipad in the middle just doesn't work for me (because again, I'm picky). This is also why I don't like the Priuses now either, the weird non-traditional dash.

The Audi is a nice car. The ID4 I like a lot but have never considered it seriously for me. Agree about the Toyota EV. If I wait for that I'll be basically buying a temp car for a year and then might find I don't like the Toyota anyway. The Ionic 5 is something I've seriously considered on more than one occasion. It's still possible that I'd end up with that instead of a PHEV. About 2 months ago after watching about 5 Youtube videos on the Ionic I was like ... I think I have to buy this car :) but thankfully it passed and I got over it. Mostly. But damn... it's nice.

I used to be the same as your wife in that I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't Japanese. Because again, reliability is a huge factor for me. In the past it was mostly because I couldn't afford to have anything go wrong when I was younger, now it's that I don't want to pay for fixes but also just the PITA inconvenience of having to get things fixed, nobody wants to take time for that.

Anyway, consider: 88 Mazda, 91 Plymouth (was really a Mitsubishi so I talked myself into it), 93 Mazda, 95 Honda, 97 Honda, 99 Honda, 06 Toyota, 07 Honda... See, I wasn't kidding lol. But I've really come around to Hyundai/Kia in the past few years. My friend has had like 4 Kia's and they've all been fantastically reliable. I love the Kona and yes annoyed about the battery fires obviously but it's a well engineered car and has never had to have any fixes in over 2 years except the software updates. There are plenty of Hyundai and Kia vehicles with excellent reliability and the brand overall is pretty high on most lists like Consumer Reports, etc. And the 10 year warranty alleviates some of the "cost" part, though I'd still be annoyed if I got a car that was in the shop a lot because of the inconvenience factor.

Oh I almost forgot. The Pacifica PHEV is a very nice vehicle, and I suspect possibly that's what you might have had in mind when you made the comment about minivan PHEV and your wife insisting on Japanese only. If mine was a 2 car household I could totally live with a Pacifica Minivan for the sheer versatility, but the reliability b/c it's a Chrysler would be a big enough issue that I'd never have it as my only car. Apparently their infotainment system is actually one of the best around. So I guess they can do some things well.

23. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

I look for a real life 300 Mile range, heat pump, adaptive cruise control with automatic Regenerative braking, D/C charge capability, full safety features, navigation.
    Tesla has all this but the lease was awful. Residual at 50% when real world Tesla are selling at 70%, no chance to buy car after lease, etc..
    So far the only car close is the Kia Niro, but maybe I missed one?

Mattsburgh likes this.