I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Is that max 10% of purchase price because of being in PA, or is that just what Hyundai is saying how much they will deduct? If so, this would be really great for me since my mileage is like 35k and in CA, they calculate mileage/120k, so it'd be closer to 30% for me. :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rick2020Kona

Rick2020Kona New Member

Sadly I own one of these and I have already had the motor replaced.
    The people running these corporations:
    it’s all about quarterly profits and their bonuses. They will do absolutely everything to get the share price up.
    I am sure there will be lots of foot dragging to replace batteries or buy back thousands of vehicles.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if we are still talking about this next year

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  4. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Look they are not stupid. Here in Canada, once your at 60k or 3yrs, whichever comes first, your SOL as fir arbitration. Come next Feb is my 3yrs and I'm already at 40,000km, so I will be at their mercy with whatever they want to do. And I'm not confident these batteries will show up by then. Look the biggest drawback in EV production is the availability of batteries. Does one thing , that they just decided to replace the batteries , I don't think so. Now it would have been brilliant that they would have already sourced the batteries and are already installing them, which they are not. Priority for batteries will goto brand new cars that they will profit from, not loosing money on immediately installing batteries at a loss.
    Hyundai, I know your listening and your minions are reading these boards.
    Well guess what , my future vehicles will possibly at this stage will not be Hyundai and thats from a long loyal Hyundai owner of numerous Hyundai cars. Nor will I be praising the Hyundai brand . My wife will not drive it and it's basically her vehicle.

Zoomie71 likes this.
  5. Recalls supercede warranties.

MarshaH and navguy12 like this.
  6. XtsKonaTrooper

I sure hope so but I don't trust corporations because they have gobs of money to pay fancy lawyers to find loopholes and screw the little guy.
    I'm not feeling that confident at the rate they are dragging their heels.
    Other then some bricked cars, I haven't read of any that have had the battery replaced under the recall. Surely they didn't just go, okay we are gonna replace the battery let's put a battery order in now.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I still really like Hyundai and have had mostly good experience with them so far. Obviously a lot can change, especially depending on the buyback offer and for that matter if I reject it then what do they do? Because again, 80% of what they sold me is not an acceptable solution.

I think you make a very good point about batteries being more likely to be used for new cars and profit than to replace our old batteries. This may be one of the main reasons they (apparently) prefer buyback in the US. Though I think they sold way more Kona Electrics in Korea and I was fairly confident they've already begun replacing batteries there. Maybe I am misremembering something I saw online though. Or, maybe that's why the Kona electric sales were stopped in Korea. Batteries are going to replacements. In comparison, it at least still appears that new 2022 model Kona Electrics will be going on sale here soon. My local dealer said they expect by end of June but admittedly I don't think they have any special or inside info here.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  9. Unfortunately, the way I'm taking the information Hyundai and Sedgwick have given me, along with what others have posted, I'm pretty sure they're using each individual state's Lemon law to determine the deduction for mileage. And in PA it's very much in my favor, from what I can tell. Pure luck.

10. Konasu

Konasu New Member

Mattsburgh, I bought my Kona from a MD dealer but live in OR. Which lemon law is applicable: MD or OR?

11. Konasu

Konasu New Member

DasMeister, this is interesting. Where do you live?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. That would be my question, too. I bought my 2019 Ultimate in Baltimore, MD, and drove it home to Florida. It was never registered in MD, only in FL. Does the FL lemon law apply to me, or the MD one?

Junebuggy likes this.
  14. I bought mine in MD too. I'm not positive of course but pretty sure the law that is relevant is the one where you live. So for me, PA and for you, Oregon.

The PA law seems to indicate that is the case, it says: "The Pennsylvania Automobile Lemon Law applies to any new vehicle purchased or leased and registered in Pennsylvania or purchased or leased elsewhere and registered for the first time in the commonwealth for personal, family or household use"

15. Shark

Shark Active Member

Actually it might be your choice. If FL and MD are like most other states, you would qualify in FL because the car is registered there as well as MD because that's where you bought the car.

Assume FL is easier for you, but you should be able to get the answers by looking at the state's websites.

16. We have booked a sit down with our dealer to go over what the situation is and what our options are. I will be quizzing them on timeline for battery replacement and get them to give us a concrete idea on a buyback. If any other Canadian folks have any specific questions, let me know. I'm sure there'll be things Ill want to know too.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

17. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

I’m going next tuesday at the dealer for them to check if the car is set at max 80%. Dealer is Hyundai Longueil Quebec Canada. I’ll let you know if I get more information that was not reported in this thread.

18. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

And my Kona is a early 2019 with 30k km

19. My dealer yesterday knew nothing about possible timelines for replacement. He did however confirm that they are buying a lift table in anticipation of doing the battery swaps at some point.

20. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I initiated the buyback process.. Had to e-mail proof of completion of campaign P29.. They will get back to me tomorrow..

21. Do you know what the time frame is?

I would prefer not to have to rent a car or be without one. It may take me a few weeks to locate and purchase a replacement vehicle. Is there a time limit for setting up the appointment?

22. XtsKonaTrooper

My service guy whined the blues that they gotta spend the money on a special lift and can't see why they just can't use a couple of Jack's to do it. That definitely did not give me a soft and fuzzy feeling.
    And I'm suppose to feel confident about this stuff.
    Gotta do a long trip tm and let's see how many times, the level 3 charger will stop and i will have to reconnect it. If it happens again, this time I will be taking pics.

navguy12 and Mattsburgh like this.
  23. I have a 2020 and spoke with Hyundai customer care a few days ago. Even though my car falls into the time period of faulty batteries being built in 2019 and that it had received two recalls to mitigate battery fires it is currently not under any recall, specifically 200.

I was told I could drive and charge the car as intended and park inside if I would like too. I have zero confidence in this information.