Recall 200

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Mar 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Oh ya! The charge door that won't open fix! But that was an "as needed" one, I believe.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. And yet I have a car that has had 3 service visits in 2 years and I was told has 6 active recalls outstanding. I leave open the distinct possibility that the person I spoke to was incorrect one way or another, perhaps she wasn't taking into account the recalls they'd already applied (though I asked and she claimed she was), perhaps there's a very narrow recall most of us don't know about? I don't know. But I already have a small rubber cap for my granny charger and it's been there since I bought the car, so I don't think that is one of them.

Wildeyed likes this.
  4. My issue with remembering these things (or mostly failing to remember) is that I go to the dealer twice a year for seasonal tire swaps. I just tell them to "do everything" and pick it up a couple hours later. I don't make special trips for every jot a tittle that Hyundai suggests and don't take particular interest in whatever software tweaks have happened.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  5. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

^^^^ I don't even use the cap, as I have a holder where I snap the granny cable into, when I'm not charging. I think I even removed the cap, hehe
    I still have a L2 charger I didn't get installed yet, but with this range reduction time to think about getting an electrician in.

6. Well, don't listen to me. Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about! ;) And please let us know if you find out about any new and fun surprise fixes.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I like the cap b/c my garage is separate from the house and ... pretty scuzzy so I figure the cap helps keep dust/bugs or any other assorted crap out of the charging prong area.

Which L2 charger did you buy? I'm moving in a few months and intend to get one for the new place.

9. XtsKonaTrooper

A Chinese knockoff...can't remember now. Maybe RP will pipe in, he got the same one I believe.

10. No worries, I should have asked you to just let us know how you like it if/when you get it hooked up. Ultimately I guess that's the relevant info.

11. Yeah that's why I haven't had the brake software recall done. I knew I would have to go for battery stuff anyway and frankly I've experienced the brake issue a couple times, I know exactly what happens and it doesn't bother me or prevent me from controlling the vehicle. So it wasn't a priority to go in just for that.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yeah, geez, I can't even remember what it was called. I never use it, because of my free charging a few blocks away. It is stuffed away in the back of the car, so don't really want to pull it out to check. But I remember there were about 5 or more of them, all the same, just different brands. I think they are only about 2 or 300 bucks now, 32 amp.

14. XtsKonaTrooper

^^^ I just found it in my Amazon past orders. It was a Morec brand.
    Sux having memory issues lol glad I got a smarthome to some extent lol

R P likes this.
  15. XtsKonaTrooper

16. Yes, that is the one. Surprised the price is still that high. I think that is about what I paid almost 2 years ago. I think there are similar ones, maybe better, that are a lot cheaper now.

In hindsight, I should have waited. I have never even used my granny charger. But when you buy a new car, like to get all the accessories, etc, whether you need them or not...:(

17. Just got it done (00D118), and took only 30 min. No more outstanding recalls for me...

Wildeyed likes this.
  18. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    Technically this is a service campaign not a recall, and is applicable to ALL Kona EV's fitted with an LG battery pack, not just those with the suspected cell fault! :-

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10188243-0001.pdf

There are currently only two worldwide recalls for the Kona EV, and a third, so far only notified in South korea, USA and Canada :-

Recall 196 (BMS battery monitoring logic)
    Recall 199 (IEB logic upgrade)
    Recall 200 (BSA replacement - awaiting battery stock) S Korea, USA, Canada)

Hope this helps to identify what is actually a safety recall, and what are just routine upgrades / enhancements.

John.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Fastnf likes this.
  19. Has anyone already posted this video? It's UK-centric in some parts but I think the VIN range is global. Mine is smack dab in the middle.
    Kona EV (OS EV): From KMHK381GUJU000203 To KMHK581GULU072444
    The big surprise, assuming this is accurate, is that the number affected are quite small and a mere fraction of the ~80k expected. It may also explain the thing about "identifying affected vehicles" that we all thought was a delaying tactic.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  20. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    Wasn't he talking about the number of cars affected in the UK? - The number he gave roughly tallies with the number of UK vehicles recalled for the BMS update (Recall 196) as shown on the UK.GOV recall site.

John.

21. Yeah, doesn't make sense. My VIN is not in that range. Yet my 2019 was manufactured in Dec/18. I suspect his range doesn't incl all the cars. I was, and still am, looking forward to a new battery. I would be disappointed if that didn't happen.

22. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

I'm not sure but I think those are UK numbers. The US recall info identifies 4000-something affected vehicles in the US, and I'm guessing buried somewhere in the Canadian recall info is a similar number for Canada. I thought I read somewhere that the bulk of the 80,000 number is for cars sold in South Korea.

23. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

So does this means Hyundai is whittling down the number of batteries they need to change?

If so, then not all Kona EVs will get battery replacements, saving Hyundai serious money.... In the meanwhile, they are dumping the Kona EV brand and pumping the Ioniq 5....How sweet of Hyundai to duped their customers once again!

Maybe its time for Class Action lawsuit.