What is the "final" fix for the battery fire recall?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Telek, Jan 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

My battery date is April 22, 2020 and my manufacturer date is May 13, 2020. I would guess the battery is one of the last elements to be installed (right before they put in the new car smell) so if they are being efficient and managing their inventory well, it doesn't surprise me that they would be close together....

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It is possible that Hyundai did not stop assembling Konas, even being aware of a short term battery shortage? Maybe your car was already in the assembly queue and was built and was waiting for a battery? Maybe the car and the battery were both built in South Korea?

Ronny likes this.
  4. Yes, I believe both were built in SK.

5. henrymouni

henrymouni New Member

I noticed on the battery label that both the Hyuandai & Kia logos are there.
    Does that mean the Niro and the Soul have the same problem??

6. henrymouni

henrymouni New Member

If you want to wait 2/3 years to get one!!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kia has been exclusively been supplied by SK so no. I am not aware any Kia EV related fires.

9. henrymouni

henrymouni New Member

My battery date is 28th April 2020

10. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I wonder how long this whole recall will take.. I'm guessing like 5 years? Maybe like 1-2 years before it gets to the USA?

11. henrymouni

henrymouni New Member

I would suspect that they have been planning this since they came across the problem, and have stockpiled batteries?
    With the danger of fires, I don't think they can afford to hang around.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I'm sure my house insurance company wouldn't like a ticking time bomb in my driveway. Jus saying. Lol

henrymouni likes this.
  14. Given how expensive the batteries are, I would be very surprised if they are stockpiled. I suspect they are produced as they are ordered.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. Actually the reverse... ordered ahead of production to hopefully meet the demand. Until battery manufacturing catches up, which will probably never happen (in the immediate future), it will become more of an issue and may actually increase the cost particularly in a replacement scenario such as this one.;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  16. henrymouni

henrymouni New Member

The ticking time bomb in your attached garage does not sound too good either.:(

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  17. henrymouni

henrymouni New Member

Normally battery production would be synchronised to car production, just ahead of production time.
    But that is from one location to another.
    This is bulk shipping to many countries, and should be done quickly, not drip fed?
    The delay from the discovery of the problem, until the announcement, would have allowed them to build up stocks.
    Hyundai seem like a savvy company, whose main interests still rest with ICE and Hybrid production.
    it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

18. Vid.beatific

Vid.beatific Member

2019 Opel Ampera-e (bolt)

IMG_3146.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

Vs

2019 Kona

IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Attached Files:

electriceddy and fC020397 like this.
  19. henrymouni

henrymouni New Member

I asked Cars UK what changed in March 2020:-
    "Cars UK says

MARCH 11, 2021 AT 2:20 PM

As far as we can work out, the March 2020 date coincides with Kona Electric production from the Czech Republic instead of South Korea, and the switch to SK batteries for that production instead of the LG ones used before then."

20. henrymouni

henrymouni New Member

Can you tell me where the car manufacturing date label is in the Kona EV?
    I have looked 'everywhere':( as my wife says when she loses an earring!:)

21. It is on a label on the driver's side door post.

22. henrymouni

henrymouni New Member

The only labels I have on the doors are the 1. tyre pressure: 2. Model type: 3. A black label showing the Vin number and the weight of the car & paint type.
    No date.