Price paid, plus dealer info

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JKroll, Feb 16, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hedgefundie

Hedgefundie Member

Well I decided to pull the trigger.

MSRP for 2020 base model Clarity: $34,355
    Taxes & DMV fees: $3,179
    Dealer accessories and other charges: $433
    Negotiated discount: -$6,155
    Total OTD cost: $31,912

This is the absolute lowest price at the moment in the Bay Area. I reached out to every single Honda dealer in the area (all 20 of them). There were three who were willing to play ball and they all came within $100 of each other:

Larry Hopkins Honda (Sunnyvale)
    Concord Honda
    AutoNation Honda Fremont

DM me if you are interested in contacts at each of these dealers.

Now for the bottom line:

Putting $2,500 on 3% cash back credit card: -$75
    Federal tax credit: -$7,500
    PG&E rebate: -$800
    Net cost: $23,537

I will report back in 12 months what I sold it for.

cyberteen, BrianRC and Albert T like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hedgefundie

Hedgefundie Member

My income is too high for the CARB rebate.

3% cash back credit card is a limited time promotion on the Amazon Prime Visa.

BrianRC likes this.
  4. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

No worries. I bought it at a similar price for a 2020 Base Clarity in SoCal. OTD came close to 31.8K$

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

5. Hedgefundie

Hedgefundie Member

Another great deal from Honda Fremont, just in time for Labor Day

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Albert T and Robert_Alabama like this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. This is good news. Thanks for sharing hedgefundie. I see the dealer incentive went from $2,500 last month to $4,500 on Sept 2. We'll see if this doesn't help to clear some of this excess inventory in CA. I personally am holding out for a deal on a Touring model.

8. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

upload_2020-9-3_19-48-37.png

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  9. EV4Me

EV4Me Member

What's the deal you are holding out for on a Touring?
    Ideal price and model year for you is?

10. Hedgefundie

Hedgefundie Member

Great deals for Labor Day. At least $700 less OTD than what I paid just a week earlier.

What do people think about end of year deals? Historically even better than Labor Day?

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. A little over a year ago Honda was offering a $6,000 dealer incentive on the Clarity and they were going for $29k + TTL. The base model was going for $26k. I am guessing prices will get back to that point by December. And as far as model year, I'll take a 2019 for the right price. They are still out there. I saw a post on this forum recently where a guy got a 2019 touring for $28,500. I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

Clarity sales have been horrible this year. Only 525 sold nationally in Q2 compared to over 3,000 in 2019. We'll soon see what Q3 sales look like. It seems to me that there is a huge surplus inventory out there, and they are going to have to make room for the 2021 models soon. I am no expert on this subject, so I would love to hear the counter argument. But if it was profitable for Honda to offer a $6,000 incentive in 2019 when sales were relatively brisk, they will have every reason to do it again. Alternatively, I've been doing some research on new car buying and experts say the best month of the year to buy a new car is December. And the second best month of the year is November, and so on.

I will add that I am currently leasing a 2018 Clarity BEV here in California for $200 a month and my lease doesn't expire until June, so I am not in any hurry to go from a $200 payment to a $600 payment for essentially the same car. But I know I want to get a Clarity for the long term so I can end the lease early when the right deal comes along. Honda is not allowing you to buy the BEVs at lease expiration like a normal lease. You have to turn them in.

Peter CC likes this.
  13. That’s a big “IF”. We’re still searching for evidence that the Clarity is profitable at MSRP.

Last year there was the $6K Honda money and dealers were offering additional discounts. The $7500 Fed credit is still available. California offered a $1500 rebate and a gaggle of alphabet soup entities offered additional incentives. Oregon offers a $2500 rebate, and I believe Colorado offered $5K. It’s never sold well.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I bought one, but I think Honda’s main audience is street racers and people who like boring vehicles. If Acura wrapped this car up in a station wagon, I’d drop this hideous thing off at the dealer tomorrow.

It’s been covered before that Honda doesn’t advertise the car and nobody is in the middle anymore. They either was a BEV or an ICE.

Peter CC likes this.
  14. Only you know your finances. You are currently paying $200/mo to borrow the car. You’ve stated your intent to get a Clarity for the long term. Same here. At least you’ll own the car after the payments are made.

I also wouldn’t call the BEV and the PHEV the same car.

Peter CC likes this.
  15. EV4Me

EV4Me Member

That was me, I picked up a New 2019 Touring with the Clear Shield Package $395 & Protection Package $995 included at $28,501 plus taxes etc $31,103 OTD and sold my 2019 Base for $23,919. The dealer was asking $29,010 without the overpriced extras, so knocking down the price by $500 and getting the extras for free was a plus.
    Where are you located?
    Last time I checked the same dealer has now lowered their E-price to $25,458 for the 2019 Base & $28,510 for the last 2019 Touring left in Silver.

16. I'm in Northern California and I can't deal with the black interior, but thanks for the heads up.

17. Hey EV4Me,

Was that $28,501 an Out-the-Door price, or did they try to tack on a lot of fees?

18. EV4Me

EV4Me Member

$31,103 OTD, just sales tax, registration and a few doc fees if I remember.......same things I paid for with my previous Clarity and nothing out of the normal.

19. Thanks EV4Me. I shared the $28,501 quote with a local dealer who still has a white 2019 Touring and he said he will beat it! So I will be going down tomorrow morning to make a deal on a new Clarity. Thanks very much for your help!

20. Hedgefundie

Hedgefundie Member

Good luck! Please post back what your OTD price was!

21. Albert T

Albert T New Member

What dealer is this?

Thanks

22. EV4Me

EV4Me Member

Sent you a pm