Tesla EVSE?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ohliuw, Oct 2, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

Anyone using the Tesla charger? It’s by far the cheapest EVSE I can get in Canada (that is eligible for the QC rebate).

Is there now reasonably price adapter (that is suitable for the harsh Canadian winter)?

thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Is the Tesla charger cheaper than $179 US for a Level 2 EVSE (16amp)?

To answer your question, I haven't seen a Tesla to J1772 adapter for less than $200 US.

4. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

Well, If I have to pay the sparkie and not get the govt rebate as the 16amp charger is not on the list of qualified chargers, then yes the Tesla might turn out being cheaper.

I am hesitating between the Tesla and ChargePoint. CP would be a bit more expensive - like 800CAD if delivered from Amazon.com vs the Tesla being around 730CAD delivered (unless there are discount codes for the Tesla’s???)

Decisions...

5. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

Ok, basically not get any of these. Apparently there is a a design issue with the CP gin where water gets inside the gun and freezes preventing it from latching properly (there is even a thread here), so it’s big pita in winter.
    For the same reason (that is potential QC issues with the Tesla adapter), Tesla is out.

now back to more research:(

6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Could you point me to information on freezing in the CP. I have one and would like to know about that. Your post is the first I’ve heard of it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/honda-clarity-charging-problem-when-the-temperature-is-cold.4211/

unless they have fixed the design this year...

I am now hesitating between the Aero (now called Webasto) evse-RS charger that GM sells (it would cost me about $650CAD, but I am still waiting to confirm if QC would honour the rebate as the new GM part number is not on their list) or the Canadian made EVDuty, which is almost $200 more.

The webasto is 32amp and hardwired, whereas the evduty is priced similarly for plug and hardwired. The evduty is portable and is rated for operating down to -40C, whereas the webasto is like most other chargers down to -30 (Although I don’t expect it to have issues say at -35, which might happen here once a winter).

the webasto has a nice built in holster to park the gun, whereas the evduty doesn’t (can buy separately, but this means more holes punched on the siding).

Also, it might be cheaper to get a 6-50 plug installed outdoors as I won’t tell the sparkie why I am doing it. If it’s hardwired, they tend to skyrocket their bill even though is cheaper and easier to hardwire.

9. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Thanks. I see now I was aware of the issue and even replied to the thread you linked. Brain fart. Oops. Good luck with your search.

10. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Electrify America just released a self-branded EVSE - so I assume there is (or well soon be) and Electrify Canada version... I see that the Siemens Versicharge is available in Canada - I have one here in the US and have found it to be very sturdy and reliable.