New winter wheels and tires and resetting TPMS

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Teddydogno1, Dec 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

On Monday I got my "new" take-off wheels installed on the Mini with A/S tires for our mild winters.

I bought a set of take-off Mini Revolites that came with Hankook run-flat tires that had terrible reviews and test results for wet and cold weather. Instead, I bought a set of Continental ProContact LS tires which have very good reviews for our NW winter weather type: wet and slightly cold most of the time (30s - 40s often) with just occasional light snow.

Here's how it looks now and for the next 3 or 4 months:
    [​IMG]

I don't have a good "before" pic that is a full side shot, but here's delivery day:
    [​IMG]

I do like my black Victory Spoke wheels better so I'm glad they'll be on the car more often.

On pickup from Discount Tire, my wife drove it home and reported that the car was complaining about tire pressure and the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I took it for a drive yesterday and found that the car has a good RESET system for the TPMS. You just tell it to reset and then drive it for a mile or two. Done. Pretty cool.

On others cars I have owned, you have to air up or down at each corner in sequence to get it to relearn the position and sensors. Or use a TPMS scan tool to do the reset. This "drive to learn" system on the Mini is very nice!

Rob

MichaelC likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Yeah the pacific rim and European manufactures have lagged way behind with TPMS, my Y2000 Jeep just automatically adjusted to new sensors, no trip to dealer, no reset.

Its does takes driving awhile to get everything reset regardless as the sensors only transmit when the tires rotate (to conserve battery), and then only once a minute more or less.

I was a bit annoyed that the SE is still behind in this day and age, having to dig through the menus to manually reset the TPMS, WTF. When my tire pressures dropped below the limit due to cold weather, mine took maybe 15 minutes of driving. These were with the same sensors. The 30 year old Jeep would have the new values updated before driving out of the driveway. :)

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

TPMS was not in wide use 30 years ago, I'm surprised to hear Jeep was using it. And I don't get how this automatic updating works, wouldn't the car pick up the lower pressure as the new setting?

I just had to go through the TPMS reset yesterday on my SE, because we had a sudden drop in air temp that caused my rear tires to show about 10 psi low. The SE helpfully told me they were low and gave me an option to go right to the reset menu. I also set one of the quick buttons to go to the TPMS screen, since it's something that can be needed occasionally.

5. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

We are experiencing sudden cooler weather which set off the SE’s “low pressure” TPMS warning. I stopped to get more air put in the tires and I could actually watch the pressure readings increase as the tech added about 6-8 lbs to each tire. I was very surprised, as I figured I would need to drive a spell to see the adjustment in pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I guess it one of those things that if you never experienced a better approach, you would be happy that you didn't have to return to a dealer for a $100 reset

My low tire pressure warning (all 4 tires) didn't occur until I was out on the street. Reading, let alone responding to, warning messages while driving is quite distracting to me (especially new ones :)). Good thing my daughter was with me to say its not of immediate concern. There should be no need for the distraction of and lengthy status messages that block the information screen, especially when diving in a stressful situation. A help button perhaps, but don't block my Nav screen.

Otherwise, if the computer is smart enough to see low pressure and alert the driver, it can certainly be smart enough to see when the low pressure is fixed and suppress the alerts automatically. I mean its not rocket science, not all that complex if the engineers have an open mind. There should no need for the driver to do anything beside fix the pressure issue. Why the extra reset step? The Jeep was actually a 2005. That 16 year old Jeep, similar to the other Chrysler products, is always reading and displaying the current tire psi and extinguishes alerts when the psi comes back into an acceptable range. The only time it resets is when you rotate tires or swap wheels for the winter. In that case the Jeep's computer is smart enough to recognize that different sensors reporting and it goes about locating where the new sensor are (via radio signal triangulation) and updating the registers automatically. Works well.

On my 2022 SE, after the low pressure warning I was forced to reset and during that time no tire pressure was reported. Perhaps that was because all four tires were a little low? There was a status bar showing the progress of the reset, however.

Its just one of my pet peeves about BMW. That and their insistence on relying solely on optical imaging for adaptive cruise and collision avoidance where RADAR, augmented by optical works so much better.

But then every car is a compromise, and there are so many things to like about the SE, these relatively minor annoyances are easy for me to overlook.

Godfrey likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree, most of your complaints are not BMWs or the engineer's fault. As with many complaints about modern cars, the fault lies with the government's stupid laws. The rest are the fault of BMWs accountants lol

The tire pressure monitoring system must:

(a) Illuminate a low tire pressure warning telltale not more than 20 minutes after the inflation pressure in one or more of the vehicle's tires, up to a total of four tires, is equal to or less than either the pressure 25 percent below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure, or the pressure specified in the 3rd column of Table 1 of this standard for the corresponding type of tire, whichever is higher;

(b) Continue to illuminate the low tire pressure warning telltale as long as the pressure in any of the vehicle's tires is equal to or less than the pressure specified in S4.2(a), and the ignition locking system is in the “On” (“Run”) position, whether or not the engine is running, or until manually reset in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's instructions.

I don't believe you need to manually reset the TPMS when the inflation pressure is fixed but it may take a bit of time to reset itself.

9. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I was not forced to do a TPMS reset on my SE. I’m not sure why mine would be different that yours, however. I’m in the USA. Is your’s in the EU? Metric air may be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

The only time I've had to do a reset is after swapping wheels.

11. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

For me, after a tire rotation generally requires a re-learn. Or of course new wheels with TPMS sensors that had never been on the car before, like this case for me.

After just a low pressure alert, there should be no re-learn. Just fix the situation.

Rob

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member