Is ‘V2L’ possible with 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Yellerledbetty, May 6, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hey folks,

Not hoping to power a residence by any means but i *AM* wondering if it’s possible to connect an inverter to the vehicles battery pack such that i could power an electric cooler or other ‘summer car camping’ appliances.

FWIW, I’m not an electrical engineer so looking for something that’s accomplished with mechanical aptitude and common sense. =P

Pic for attention.

[​IMG]
    TIA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Here are a couple of threads to get you acquainted:
    Emergency Battery Backup - Utility Mode | Inside EVS Forum
    Kona as a backup battery for home power outage? | Inside EVS Forum
    This is a guide which is step by step:
    Building an inverter adapter for the Kona EV (pmarks.net)

Hope this helps, shouldn't be an issue with 400W inverter:)

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You can't connect 12-Volt inverter like that to your Kona's ~350-Volt battery pack. However, you can connect it to your Kona's 12-Volt battery. I don't know if a parked Kona will maintain the charge in its 12-Volt battery until the traction battery is exhausted, but I'm sure someone on this forum does.

Here's a "Successful Clarity Back-up Power" thread on InsideEVs' Clarity forum that discusses powering household appliances with the car's 12-Volt battery while it's being recharged from the Clarity's traction battery (there's a catch: the Clarity has to be left "on," making it vulnerable to theft).

5. I use an ancient 200w inverter to power laptop etc and it plugs into the cigarette lighter. I only use it when the car is on or in utility mode. No probs so far.

insightman likes this.