2022 Mini SE issue with charging 500 miles / new

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Feb 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

A problem with charging on L 2 at home,car is going always from setting Maximum to Reduced once I start charging.Charger Lectron 240 v.- 32 amp.Charger showing 13.2 amps. When charging .At home 5 hr. From 50% to 100%.Public charging station from 50% to 100% 3 hr.and setting stay on Maximum on public station .Owners manual on page 229 said a car at delivery is set to 16 amp.Why car switch at home on L 2 to Reduced charge all time?which 13.2 amps is acceptable when car is set to 16 amp. Car was at service and reset to factory specifications,nothing changed.I own Clipper Creek charger 240 v.-32 amp.too the same story.Anybody have a similar issue? I’m not new to EV drive for 6 years BMW I 3 without problem.Outlet check 248 volts / breaker double 40 amps. Car should pull 30.8 amps.or a little les and should be charged at 4 hr. At L2 at home. Any good ideas from members ? Thanks Rexsio

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

If settings are definitely correct then it sounds like one of the dual chargers in the car might have a fault?
    Actually, if it works on a public L2 then the in-car chargers must be fine…

4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I charge. A car. All the time in my garage L2 240 v .once a car can accept only from factory setting 16 amp.every thing is correct .Time of charging double at this rate But why dealer is not reset a car to 32 amps to specifications they selling BMW / Mini to us ?

5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Hi Rexsio, am I understanding correctly that:
    • You had or have an i3 EV which charged on the Clipper Creek without any reduced charge problem
    • Under the Mini's plan charging/climate control settings, you have the Level 2 charge option set to "max"
    • The Mini only charges at the reduced rate of charge on your Clipper Creek (charging top 50% in 5 hours)
    • The Mini charges at a normal speed on a public Level 2 EVSE (charging top 50% in 3 hours)
    It seems like the Clipper Creek or your home wiring might be the issue (even though you say they check out okay). Do you still have the i3 EV to verify if the Clipper Creek is performing correctly? EDIT: And if the answer to that is "yes", then I am stumped and do not know what might be happening.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Our Households power lines are single phase .My charger is 240 v. 32 amp. But public chargers are also 240 v. 32 or 40 amps . But they are 3 phase a car as Mini SE can accept only 32 amps .anyway I’m not electrician but that I read on internet . Mini is charge on public L 2 they call fast charger about 25% faster than in a house . That what misleading many people L1-120 volt .L2 240 volt. - Still household outlet .L3 fast charge public charge 3phase 240 volts. and super chargers DC -480 volts

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I contacted 15 dealer service nobody have an answer. Car acceptance from my Lectron charger on LCD display is 13.2 amps is about 50% of a car capacity of charging acceptance by car 7.4 kw x240 =30.8amps. What’s is my problem a car at delivery from UK to USA is set to 16 amp. Owner manual page 229 If dealer is doing nothing to recalibrate computer on a car that what I’m getting 16amps. And halve a speed. Of charging

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Car was serviced and reset to factory specifications what basically change nothing still factory setting 16 amp. When I plug a charger and car setting to MAXIMUM car is going to default 16 amp right away

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I wander if anybody have similar experience with L2 1 phase 240 charger /32 amps or nobody pay attention how long takes to charge SE . I really don’t care I drive a car 3-5 miles a day is a go cart to me but send me a message you charge your Mini on level 2 charger in 4 HR. In a house.and how you did that?

13. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

Mine charges from 50-100 in about 3 hours on a 32A Grizzl-e. Any chance there is a problem with the wiring or outlet the EVSE is plugged into? Maybe get a friend to charge at your house or try to charge yours at another residential level 2 charger.

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

IEC 61851-1 in Europe:
    Mode 1
    1Φ AC 16A 250V 4 kW
    3Φ AC 16A 480 V 11kW
    Mode 2
    1Φ AC 32A 250V 7.4kW
    3Φ AC 32A 480V 22kW
    Mode 3
    1Φ AC 63A 250V 14.5kW
    3Φ AC 63A 480V 43.5kW
    Mode 4
    DC 200A 400V 80kW

The SAE J1772 standard is:
    AC Level 1 12A 120V 1.44kW
    16A 120V 1.92kW
    AC Level 2 80A 208/240V 19.2kW
    DC Level 1 80A 50-1000V 80kW
    DC Level 2 400A 50-1000V 400kW

I would check to make sure Mode 2 and Mode 3 are at maximum.

15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

The car in USA is 7.4 kw means x240 volts = 30.8 amps but that car was deliver to dealer with 16 amp from factory in U K and on my l2 charger takes twice longer to charge and no dealer know what to do like they sell to me a car with 10 gallon tank instead of 20 gallons I talk to 15 of them they morons im pi’s of to a limit car was in service and reset to factory specs. Means 16 amp acceptance charge idiots

16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I put car at maximum mode and after charger is plug in is going to reduced mode right away on L2and L1 in USA car don’t have mode 3 for charging

17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I try my neighbor charger 2021 Hunday Kona in his garage 7.6 Kw SE is 7.4 KW the same SE is going to Reduce charge as I plug in a charger . My both chargers are the same specs like yours .I check my outlet 123 volts on each leg .and combined a reading is 246 volts .My house is single phase only some commercial buildings have 3 phase in USA

18. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Are you accessing the charging current through the menu for Plan Charging/Climate Control -> Settings charging current?

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

No US MINI Cooper SEs can connect to a 3-phase EVSE. The UK connectors that allow 3-phase charging are different from the CCS (Combined Charging System) connectors on US EVs. A public Level 2 EVSE will provide the same charging ability as a home Level 2 EVSE--assuming both can supply 240 Volts at 30.8 Amps.

Texas22Step and Urbanengineer like this.
  20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If you h ave 3 hr from 50-100%than f rom 0- 100% you will be below 5 hr. Theoretically speaking bc we never charge from 0-to 100% Means you are to specs. Of the car.Do you know if you dealer did some adjustments from 16 amp.when car come from UK to meet US specs. 32amp?

21. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

But happen one charging station at Kia dealer have a Leviton charger and I google specs.and work on split phase 240 v. 40 amps and my Se was charging on Maximum mode and all those public L2 running o 3 phase 240 v .which is available for commercial applications .All houses in US are on single phase

22. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

And all those connectors here on L2 are J1772