Level 2 Charging Settings - Maximum vs. Reduced

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JoeC, Dec 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JoeC

JoeC New Member

Hi all,

Has anyone determined whether there is logic/rules for choosing Maximum vs. Reduced in the Level 2 charging settings in the car? The manual doesn't provide any detail on Level 2 settings, although it does have the following table, which only seems to apply to Level 1 charging settings.

upload_2021-12-11_9-12-34.png

I am still trying to get used to my new Level 2 setup (JuiceBox 40 on 50 amp circuit) but it seems that with the default Reduced Level 2 setting, I am only adding ~11% per hour. This is less than I hoped. Will the Maximum setting increase the charging rate and can anyone point to something that shows that my setup can handle the Max setting?

Tx!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello.

If I'm not mistaken, level 2 settings are to control charging from your evse when connected to the wall socket. If you're using a box on a single phase 50 amp, then you should take al ook at the level 3 settings...

4. JoeC

JoeC New Member

My understanding for lingo in US:
    Level I = 110-120V from "standard" US wall socket; this is the charger included with car and to which the table refers
    Level II = 208-240V setup, potentially hardwired or non-"standard" plug; no instructions on Max vs. Reduced in Owner's Manual
    Level III = DC fast charging; no settings configurable in MINI

Urbanengineer likes this.
  5. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

This is correct, except technically there is no "Level 3". It's referred to as DC Fast Charging. The only reason to set the SE's Level 2 to anything other than "max" is if your EVSE will draw too much power for the circuit. If the SE is set higher than the maximum of the EVSE it's fine, since the EVSE's limits will prevent too much power draw.

DC Fast charging is direct current (DC), and the electricity goes directly to the battery. The vehicle has a maximum charge rate, which in the SE's case is 50 kW.

Level 1 and Level 2 are alternating current (AC), and there's a charger in the vehicle that converts the AC to DC to charge the battery.

Here's a diagram to show the basic idea (the "mode" labels are not germane to US notation, maybe other countries use those?).

[​IMG]

J22, Urbanengineer and JoeC like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JoeC

JoeC New Member

Thanks, Puppethead. I tried the Level 2 Max setting and it seems to be charging more quickly. Nothing blew up so I think that I can continue to do this going forward.

Teddydogno1 likes this.
  9. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Your set up is more a car can handle is 30.8 maximum amps only car is design to handle is ok bc car controls acceptance of charge but my car is going to reduce charge all a time of 13.2 amps and nobody can give me an answer why?

11. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

@JoeC
    Sounds like with your setup, "reduced" is giving you about what I can get out of my 30A socket. I have a Grizzl-e set to 24A plugged into a 30A outlet on "max". My wife typically returns home with about 60% SoC and it takes just about 3 hrs to charge back up. That's just over 13% per hour on average.

Rob

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I was able to see what amps my car was taking when charged bc Lectron charger display 13.5 amps and reduced setting . But last night amazingly when I plug Lectron charger ,charger shows agin 13.5 amps and timing from 50 -100 % 5 Hr. But on Maximum charging ,I plug and unplug and nothing changed still Maximum I said great .But to be more confused I plug my Cripper Creek and and a charger stay on maximum setting and a time 50-100% show me 2 1/2 hr which mean charger was on about 27 amps but I can’t proof bc CCreek have no display . Today I’m going to charge again bc I drove 80 miles and I like to see what going to happen.Maybe my big battery is finally balanced .Can everyone say where a Mini SE is driven bc Some European answers are very confusing.Mini in USA is different and I believe Canada the same as USA .I’m driving SE in New York .

14. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Since I have a car Jan. 3 22 last night in my garage was 65 F.maybe this was a factor of charging without any restrictions,usually is about 50 F.

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That temperature difference shouldn't be a factor. The only time I see slower charging is when my batteries are cold-soaked by being in subzero (Fahrenheit) temperatures for over six hours.

16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

You right I never experienced charging issues with i3 ,but cross a fingers I try today to charge again I drove 80 miles ,maybe BMW fix my problem by going into my SE bc I make so much nose!

17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Noise

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You don't need a display on your Clipper Creek EVSE if your MINI tells you it will charge from 50-100% in 2-1/2 hours. That timing indicates you've successfully selected your SE's full charging rate.

MichaelC and Urbanengineer like this.
  19. Urbanengineer

Urbanengineer Active Member

good insight.

20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If anybody can say on L2 in a house you charge a car in 4 hr . Or everybody is so excited about own SE a people don’t care how long they charge them on public chargers or in a house on L 1 for 28 HR .Right now with 25 miles on a car I plug my L2 and car is showing 7 HR to be fully charged on Maximum setting on L2 charger 240/32amp. Se recently was switching to reduced charge but now stay on Maximum and believe me I know how to set a charging setting correctly, I drove the same crab for 6 years BMW I 3

21. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Looks like you are hire for long time tell me if I became full member pay $20 for membership I be able to put a picture in my posting bc I have a lot to share with owners of SE . Thanks 524E7142-9824-44C9-85E6-BCFB0EFB68F0.jpeg

22. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Thanks looks I figure out how to attach a Picture I paint my calibers a day I bring car home , 3 coats of ceramic yellow

GetOffYourGas and insightman like this.