Would you buy SE without rear sits with 50 kWh /200 miles range ?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Jul 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Yes ! I sell my 2000 miles 2022 right now BMW should reconsider how many people will buy 2 sitter with that range which is optimal for first time EV owners and just travel to work bc I’m seeing in NY one person occupants / drivers in gas guzzlers SUVs all day long and from 32.5 kWh on todays SE is not far to 50 kWh .BMW should keep them in Oxford and take my suggestions seriously!and you should read costumers output which I know you do.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Mini Cooper is iconic car like Porsche 911 you shouldn’t loose it and people will buy with recent version!yours sells is a proof don’t changed if works.

4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

50 kWh 200 miles range

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The MINI JCW GP has the rear seats removed, but GP models only come once every seven years or so and are limited edition (only 2000 made in 2021). Maybe there could be an electric GP some day with more battery.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

In the other thread where @Rexsio proposed this idea, I responded with a photo of a rear-seatless MINI-E and my desire for a lighter SE.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

The “T” shaped battery simplified manufacturing and probably the only reason we have the SE today. Slapping a big heavy battery box where thin and light seats were isn’t a production quality solution. Getting more out of the current SE would require bigger changes or a step up in density. I assume both are cost prohibitive on a chassis that has more years behind it than ahead.

9. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Would be happy with a two seater as long as there is room in the trunk for a full Walmart sized shopping cart of groceries.
    A 50kWh battery would give over 200 miles of highway range the way I drive, however they would need to increase the charging power closer to 80kW.

10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

You right is no room for Mini to accommodate that battery in present stage I’m comparing Kia Niro with 11kW on board charger and 64.8 kWh battery pack and max. charge rate 85 KW range 253 miles . Mini is just a Mini and I love a car for my use of it.

11. Removing the rear seats and replacing it with a bigger battery would make the car too heavy in the arse end. Would no doubt have a detrimental effect on how it handles.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

You should know SE is heavy on front now 60-40 end if batteries fill a rear sits a car can be 50/50 balance

14. According to Mini it's 54/46 but regardless, if it would help with its current torque steer, that would be a good thing. :)

15. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Nope. I have young kids and use the rear seats often. A 2-seater would require that I got another car in addition to it.

If I didn’t have kids? Still no. That battery is going to weigh a lot with today’s technology. The weight will significantly degrade the fun I have tossing the car around corners. The ability to go farther / stop less often at DC chargers would only help me 3-4 times a year but the weight would be with me every day. Already I can get anywhere I want to, with enough charging stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

azausa, SameGuy, revorg and 1 other person like this.
  16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Similar to my reasoning to forgo the Ridgeline. I know what a great vehicle it is (for what it is), and I could sure use the utility of it quite often, but after paying just $20 to rent a Transit from HD to haul home some yard stuff, I realized I could just do that the 10 or 12 times a year that I really need the utility. Never mind the fuel savings, there’s also the fact that a well-equipped Ridgeline is pushing 50 grand, and there’s at least a one year wait now.

GetOffYourGas likes this.