World's fastest EV charging station promises a full battery in under 15 minutes

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Novadar, Sep 30, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. vader

vader Well-Known Member

If the battery supports at least 4Q charging. To explain, Q is the capacity of the battery (eg 1Ah). You can discharge a battery a maximum rate without damaging it. Say that value was 5 - you can discharge the battery at 5A (5 * 1Ah - ignoring the 'h'). You charge at another rate. Most Li batteries like between 1 to 2 Q. This means, by definition, that you can charge between 1/2 to 1 hour. You lose some time when the battery tops off (evens out the cells), but it gives you an idea. To charge a battery to full (from empty) in 15 minutes means a charge rate of 4Q. This requires very good thermal management and charging electronics. There is a reason most EVs have around a 1/2 hour 10-80% charge time regardless of battery size (given a powerful enough charger). That means you are charging at the sweet spot of around 1.5Q. The quicker we charge, the higher the Q number, and the worse it is for the batteries. Different chemistries (ie solid state etc) may have a higher Q number - say 3-4. This would mean a charge in 15-20 minutes is possible.

As an example, the Honda E supports 100kW charging, however it still takes around the same time to charge the (similar sized) battery. The peak charging rate may temporarily be higher, but you need to slow down quicker to avoid damaging the battery with excess heat.

4. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I guess it's a chicken and egg thing; the mega-flamethrower chargers and the battery packs and battery cooling that can take their output.

I haven't seen a battery that doesn't go on the taper for the last 20%. But, for our SEs (assuming we had pre-heating and sufficient cooling), 360kW would take us from 0 to 80% in about 4 minutes: not too shabby.

Novadar likes this.
  5. Novadar

Novadar Active Member

I didn't really think that much about the "real world" numbers for us SE-ers. Holy smokes (literally as well), 4 minutes would be unreal.