WLTP is very biased and inaccurate

Discussion in 'General' started by 101101, Dec 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

If you go look it up the only cars WLTP rates below EPA mileage ratings are most Teslas all the other EVs it rates above to way above. This when WLTP is known to be inaccurate and over state ranges in the first place. Its pure crap on the level of climate change denial. I just saw a Forbes article where the whole point was to radically over state the range of the VW ID 4 and Pole Star 2 and try to call these Tesla competition by using the lame WLTP figures for those but then by all appearances intentionally mis-lable the Tesla EPA ranges as WLTP ranges when in reality Tesla's go about 30% farther and do so much quicker with much higher efficiency. These are just paid liars trying to scam as usual. Pole Star 2 and VW ID 4 don't have competitive ranges or performance or tech or prices. As Gene Munster has said just today their ship has sailed. Its too late.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My son has a Tesla M3 and he consistently gets under the EPA rating. My Kona EV on the other hand consistently gets over the EPA. He has the larger battery LR RWD version and is supposed to get 500+ kms (usually gets way under in reality). My Kona is rated for 415 and I often get 500 (in summer). When we go on a trip together, we end up getting almost exactly the same range. So that kind of confirms WLTP ratings.

DaleL likes this.
  4. And Real World Testing is not done at a steady 70 mph. It has to include typical driving, stop and go, city and hwy, ie a proper mix of real world conditions. Here is an example of that type of test. And guess which car comes out on top.
    https://insideevs.com/news/407807/eletric-car-real-world-range-tested/
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/best-cars/electric-cars-best-real-world-range

5. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

Car & Driver has a story concerning EV range issues with the EPA testing. It is important to remember that the EPA test cycles were originally designed to test for emissions, not mpg/range. The Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP) is a newer and more realistic test. However, both the EPA and WLTP tests are estimates. Real world results not only can, but will vary.

From the Car & Driver story: "Among EV makers, Tesla has been at this game longer than most, so it's not surprising that it has figured out the tricks to maximizing its EPA numbers."

The Adjustment Factor Tesla Uses to Get Its Big EPA Range Numbers (caranddriver.com)

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I prefer to run my own benchmarks on our 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3. They seem to match the EPA metrics:
    [​IMG]

This was the earliest benchmark:
    [​IMG]

Here is a charge curve at a 250 kW SuperCharger after a software upgrade for higher peak rates:
    [​IMG]

Here I am testing new wheels versus the OEM:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

Clamps likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. 101101

101101 Well-Known Member

Dalel, right the shill referral game cite C&D (about the worst shill crap out there) now cite CNBC and MSNBC and Navigant and Blackrock. Doubt Blackrock lies about much under its own name except its intent.

No, no one seriously questions Tesla's
    ranges because Tesla has no wiggle room on that- it was always a fight. And Tesla often had to fight even the EPA like when it recently sabotaged a Model S test and Tesla caught it red handed and it had to reverse itself.

But no one should accept for instance insideevs very likely utter BS on Taycan at 70mph- that's what bought and paid for looks like. Its the same bs as trying to say
    conflate wltp with EPA or having Maloughy or Nadelea on staff. Must say Nadelea did one of my favorite articles even on IEs with a recent piece on changes at Daimler and he's improved a lot.

9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

The surest sign of a cultist is that they dismiss any source of information that contradicts their belief system as phony, bought off, etc. Just thought I'd mention that. :)

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I would call it ODC before 'cultist.' Of course the symptoms are so similar but posting habits of others is unimportant. I would not be surprised if @Domenick reminded us of the 'rules of the road.'

The various mileage test protocols can give relative performance within the set of vehicles tested. As predictive of individual driver-car performance, they are limited. However, I've found the EPA highway numbers can be replicated at 62-63 mph.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    DaleL likes this.
  11. From what I’ve read, WLTP isn’t accurate, generally favorably high. Aside from that I’m very impressed with the Korean manufacturers, they tend to get better efficiency out of their battery packs than most. A Kona or E Niro with a smaller battery pack tends to out perform most competitors with larger packs when it comes to range.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.