wish could lock regen setting

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by BillX, Nov 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BillX

BillX New Member

I wish there was a way to lock the regen setting. As a former Bolt owner that used the paddle all the time to slow down (often just hold briefly) I am accidently changing the setting often when intending just to use to slow down a bit. I personally prefer it to be 1 and then just hold down paddle when wanting to brake harder. I guess I will adjust after driving this car for a bit. Do many drivers actually adjust the regen level up and down often? It seems like most would set it to what they want and leave it there always.

Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. StuartE

StuartE New Member

It's set according to your drive mode. When you start the car each time, the regen starts at whatever the mode dictates. You might also try the "auto" regen mode, which is set by extended hold of the right paddle (turns off the same way).

4. Crash

Crash Member

I have no prior EV experience to go off, but as I understand it (and mentioned above) the Niro locks in the regen setting by drive mode or if you have it set to AUTO (which overrides the drive mode setting [I think]).

I drive with mine being in AUTO and using ECO mode 99.9% of the time. I never touch the paddles (or settings) unless I want to brake via the paddles by long hold of the left one. Works for me.

I just wish it had true one-pedal driving.

5. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

FYI, the default regen setting for each drive mode is configurable under vehicle settings in infotainment

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

6. Parker Lewis

Parker Lewis New Member

Oh, that is good to know! I had not seen that setting, and for the past 3 months since I got the car I have been increasing regen from 1 to 3 manually every time I drive.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. BillX

BillX New Member

Personally, when I lift my foot off accel, I do not want hard braking to happen. That is how it has been for 35+ years of driving for me and I think I want it to always be that way. I only want that to happen by choice (i.e. paddle or brake pedal)

Assume people that feel otherwise keep foot on accel longer when approaching a stop or slowdown. To each their own I guess.

9. Parker Lewis

Parker Lewis New Member

Just checked my car and found the option to set the default regen level for each drive mode in the infotainment settings menu. Thanks for the tip, @davidtm ! It will be nice to have the car automatically start at level 3 each time I drive now.

davidtm likes this.
  10. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

I wish that you could preset regen to zero. I believe 1 is the lowest level? I like to drive in Auto mode, with regen zero, then use the paddles to slow down, otherwise coast freely. I can live with regen 1, but 9 times out of 10, I'll pull back on the paddle to reduce it to zero for the remainder of the drive.

11. I'm with the OP - the standard "one pedal regen" results in carsickness for my passengers. The first time I was a passenger with my wife driving I had her turn it off (It made me so queasy).

I drive in "Normal" mode, so it's heavy. In ECO mode, it's excessive - like throwing the car into a panic stop.

There's no subtle coasting, even at the lowest setting. For a first effort Kia/Hyundai did well with most comforts but this isn't great.

Here's what works for me - Normal mode, Single arrow (lowest) regen setting, turn off cruise control under 40 mph.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

I'm also a former Bolt owner for 130k miles, and actually I don't want any regen to happen when I let off the accelerator, I just want to coast... I have looked in the default settings and I could only set it to '1' so every time I start the car I have to hit the right side paddle to take it down to '0'.

Some love that hard regen all the time, it's not for me but like you said to each their own...

14. Regen defaults to certain levels when you start the vehicle depending on the drive mode you are in.

I play with the paddle so much it is second nature now for me to adjust the regen braking. I mostly pull it to zero. I like to coast a lot. Keep the power in the rotating wheels as much as possible.

15. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I leave regen on high, and you learn to drive that way, you just do not lift off the throttle as quickly
    No reason for carsickness

16. Crash

Crash Member

To each his own, but I am with @ENirogus :)

17. 3XG

3XG New Member

Same here. My previous BMW i3, had mandatory strong regen, one-pedal drive on at all times, with no option to turn off. You had to learn how to drive with that or you would never enjoy driving. It's definitely something you can learn to do. Most EV folks come to love it and fairly often you will see people complain that the Niro doesn't have true one-pedal driving.

18. How many years have you driven a traditional ICE car?

19. blue_door

blue_door Member

And yet, having a default level of 0 (coasting) is not an option on any of those menus. Definitely a design oversight. I enjoy coasting and using the paddles when the situation demands. The brakes blend regen anyway, so level 0 should have been selectable.

jeff_h and davidtm like this.
  20. Agreed. It *is possible* to deselect Regen, but it will reset on the next startup.

21. blue_door

blue_door Member

Yep. I set the default regen in all drive modes to 1 and am in the habit of turning it off every time I drive the car.

jeff_h likes this.
  22. Admittedly I drive a predictable route, and therefore use Regen 1 to my advantage but I find it intrusive when I'm heading downhill and still need to apply throttle. It took weeks before I could feather it so my passengers were comfortable.

My beef with any of the Regen settings is that they're binary - rather than a smooth taper.

23. At 75 years old I might be called an old dog but I found max regen works just fine and gets the extra juice back in the battery.
    I easily learned to use the accel as a rocker and only take my foot off in an emergency or when nearly stopped at a light. The paddles to me are
    just sales sizzles. You don't need them at all.

Crash likes this.