Wireless Charging Tray

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MichaelC, Oct 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

As lamented within another thread, the built-in wireless charging tray cannot accommodate the larger mobile phones many people are using these days.

This morning, I stumbled across this Bimmerpost thread, where some industrious person designed a 3D-printable replacement piece for the spring-loaded bracket. Within that post, they also link to another thread where they detail how to remove and disassemble the wireless charging tray, and they also link to the bracket model file so you can print your own (if you're able).

Personally, I found a workable solution for my iPhone 11 so I won't have to take that route...yet. While it's technically too large (150.9mm tall, versus the maximum recommended 150mm per the owner's manual) it fit when I removed the protective case I was using. I much prefer having a case for a little peace of mind and because the naked phone feels far too slippery in hand. I managed to find this really cheap liquid silicone case on Amazon, which is "open" on the end where the microphone and speakers are. Between the squishiness of the case and that open end, I am able to (just) fit my iPhone 11 into the wireless charging tray.

insightman, F14Scott and GvilleGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

That is a shame that they did not design it with the latest phone sizes in mind. Is your iPhone the 'max' size? I have a XS Max.

4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

No, I have a "regular" iPhone 11.