Wipers skipping

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by megreyhair, Jun 13, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Hi...
    Anyone have problems with their wipers skipping, especially in the "INT" setting?

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Never has happens to me.
    If you apply RainX or equivalent to the windshield (wipe on, buff off) and then add RainX to the washer fluid, you will never have a skip barring mechanical failure). And you’ll hardly ever have to use the wipers since at speeds over 35 mpg, the rain will bead and fly off the car. (And @insightman will be happy my RainX stock will go up)
    You can also try holding the wiper arms up about 10” and letting them snap back down. Sometimes this will free up a stuck spring or joint and give better downforce on the blade. If they’ve gone through a winter, it might help to replace the rubber blades. They are surprisingly inexpensive and my dealer puts them on for free without an appt.

ken wells and insightman like this.
  4. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Skipping wipers are old and need replacement.

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Instead of RainX, I apply Meguiars Quik Wax to all the exterior glass (and all the painted surfaces for that matter).

6. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I already tried 2 different wipers. So it is not the wiper blades. RainX do help but still skips :(
    @KentuckyKen .. I never tried adding RainX to windshield fluid. How much do you add?

@Mowcowbell ... wax on windshield?

Daniel M W likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I know, wax on windshield? It buffs out clear and works great for making it easy to wash off bug splats, too.

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

@KentuckyKen I am not "holding the wiper arms up about 10” and letting them snap back down." It cost me $1k to replaced my Pilot windshield when the wiper arm hit the glass and caused a crack!

10. KentuckyKen

Scardy cat! Although I understand the once burned, twice shy thing. I’ve been doing that with my wipers to free then form winter icing and haven’t cracked a windshield in 45 years. You must have had a metal on glass impact. Mine is always rubber blade on glass.

As to the RainX:
    Reservoir is 1.43 qt or 36% of a gal. Therefore when adding RainX use about 1/3 (1.5 oz) of what a gal takes (4 oz) or just add regular amount (4 oz to 1 gal of bottled fluid. I find that easier, especially since we have to refill so frequently with the small reservoir.
    So far after buffing on the RainX for the windshield, I haven’t had to reapply in over a year by adding the other RainX product to the wiper fluid.
    And I hardly use my wipers now.

11. Candice

Candice Active Member

Is it possible the wrong wiper is on top of the other one? I think the driver's side should be on top and initiate first, then the passenger side. I am going from memory as I am not near the car right now. If you have the opposite one on top, it might cause a skip.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I remember one member of this forum wrote that his wipers magically rearranged themselves when the right wiper was placed above the left wiper.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  14. KentuckyKen

That was me. I accidentally reversed the resting position of the two wiper arms the first time I washed the car.
    When turned on (can’t remember if it took turning on wipers too), one arm moved by itself, then the other one, and then they stowed themselves in the correct position.
    So I don’t think theY can get out of position, but it was a good guess by @Candice.

15. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Just move to West Texas. Hardly ever rains there.

megreyhair likes this.
  16. craze1cars

Brand? Where purchased?

17. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Tried a Rain-X from Wallymart and Napa .

18. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

Could you describe what you mean by skip?

19. craze1cars

I assumed something of the sort. Rain X wipers get very mediocre reviews and are known for skipping and streaking. I strongly advise you try a Honda refill into the original factory blades, instead of any aftermarket blades, Much cheaper and skip free...

I stand by my original statement, you still just need new wipers.

20. AlAl

AlAl Active Member

Whenever I get skip, I usually just clean the blade with a damp rag. All that crap the wipers sweep up dont always get carried away by the water, you know;)

21. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I agree with RainX. Both windshield wipers skipped and made a racket. I swapped the inserts between the two wipers, then followed the RainX instructions for the windshield. Skipping stopped and hasn't returned.

22. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

I used KentuckyKen’s RainX buff on buff off plus washer additive recipe this time last year it works really good good. Even my wife ask me why did the water roll off my windshield so easy.

Just last week I noticed some small skipping. We had a harsh winter with a lot of salt spray getting on it so I am going to redo the recipe first and then decide if I need to replace the wiper blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman likes this.
  23. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member