Window Tinting + PPF

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tommy Electric, Nov 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

I got some good news yesterday when speaking to my dealer. He had initially estimated delivery of my Mini to be sometime in early 2021. While we were talking, I asked if he had an update on that and, after checking his computer, got the good news that my Mini is already built and on the water. Arrival at port in Melbourne is to be in the next week or so with estimated pickup at the end of this month. This imminent arrival of my Mini has got me thinking more seriously about the following options:

1) Window tinting. When I did my test drive the weather was sunny and hot which convinced me of the wisdom of getting my windows tinted. Upon getting a couple of quotes for this work to be done, however, I learnt that windscreens are not meant to be tinted, only side and rear windows. In other words, a tinted Mini would look something like this:

[​IMG]

Looking at this picture got me thinking that without any windscreen tinting, tinted windows look a little strange. Thoughts?

2) PPF + Ceramic Coating. I was going to get a ceramic coating for ease of maintenance but am going back and forth on whether to pay the hefty $2,500 AUD to get a 1/2 PPF wrap on the front of the car. I've never done a PPF wrap before but I'd like to protect my investment. What do you think, worth it or not? Also, can a racing stripe be applied over the top of a PPF?

Thanks!

Toi likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I've never seen a windscreen tinted so that looks totally normal to me. Where I live I am not allowed to tint that dark on the windows, so I'm a bit jealous if you can go that dark.

I never do PPF or ceramic coating, so I cannot help there.

4. Tommy Electric

I should mention that 35% is the maximum tint in my state.

5. ScottIJ

ScottIJ New Member

I got both PPF and stripes on mine. In the US a quality PPF install runs around $1000, a lot cheaper than whole car ceramic. It will also protect your paint much better than ceramic. You can definitely put stripes over it. If you look closely there is a tiny edge where the stripe goes over the PPF but you can't see it unless you're up close at the right angle.

6. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Congrats on your pending delivery!

1) Window tinting. I don't know of any region where tinting the windscreen is legal. It looks like the driver's side window is rolled down in the picture you showed. With the windows up, it doesn't look as strange (to me). Pictures of my 35% tint (and PPF + ceramic coating) can be found in this thread.

2) PPF + Ceramic Coating. I am a fan of PPF, and would suggest that if you only have enough money to do one of those, go for the PPF. The ceramic coating can be applied later--and if you're so inclined, you could apply it yourself. Then again, some of the roads I drive often have enough debris that paint chips are a risk. If you're a city-dweller who is unlikely to take a stone or encounter road debris, the PPF may be overkill. My PPF was applied over the stripes on my SE. I suppose it could go the other way around, too. I recommend asking your installer which is the best approach.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommy Electric

Thanks! I'm pretty happy, particularly after my recent test drive and thinking it was going to take months to arrive.

Your car looks great. It even has the centred bonnet stripes that I like. As to tinting, I was thinking maybe a 50% tint on mine. It's hard to tell from the angle of your photo whether the contrast between the tinted windows and the un-tinted windscreen bothers me or not.

I can swing the cost of the PPF but it's just a significant hunk of cash and I'm wondering whether it is worth it or not. I'm definitely a city dweller so less likely to be travelling over rougher surfaces but also want to protect the car. Did your installer give you an approximate lifespan for your PPF?

US prices seem a bit better for PPF than in Australia. I was quoted $2,500 AUD (approx. $1,800 USD) for a half wrap and $5,000 - 6,000 ($3,600 - 4,300 USD) for a full wrap. Ceramic coating was about $1,000 AUD, so comparatively a lot cheaper.

9. KeninFL

KeninFL Member

The cost of ceramic coating... I'm resisting being a crank about this, so this second time I mention it will be - if I can control myself - the last. Anyone who can wax a car is capable of applying a ceramic coating. I'm not in the detail business and I'm not promoting any product or site where products are available. If you are meticulous, can follow directions and especially if you have a random orbital polisher you will achieve big $ results at a very small fraction of the cost of a "pro" job. I could go on, but that's the essential point I want to make. BTW my avatar is a before pic of my car. Mini has used a good quality paint and the factory application is done to a very good standard which makes a coating either by you or someone you pay to do it correctly look very good indeed.

Lainey likes this.
  10. ScottIJ

ScottIJ New Member

Well I'm not sure what a half wrap is, but for my $1k I got the front bumper and grill, and halfway up the hood, and the rear view mirrors. Unless you're going to be driving in gravel or offroading a lot I don't think you get any benefit from more PPF.

11. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I have to say I'm similar but different. I've been raised to think those extras are not worth it. With regular care your car will look good. That said Mini paint is really good. Most modern paint is. I am surprised to read so much about extra coatings now because like 10-20 year ago they were always touted as money grabs. Odd it's shifted.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I always go for PPF on the bonnet/hood because of the small size and low profile of the MINI, protecting against flying rocks and debris. But then I do a lot of freeway driving with lots of truck traffic. The brand I get has held up for the life of each of my MINIs, so at least five years.

14. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I recommend asking your tint shop to show you examples of 35% and 50%, if possible. From what I understand, the amount of heat rejection in modern window tint films is not directly related to the darkness of the tint, so you should also ask your tint shop about that. The shop I used offers different levels of heat blocking (21%, 42%, 81%, 97%) at increasing levels of cost.

The manufacturer of my PPF (XPEL) warrants their product for 10 years against "yellowing, staining, delaminating, cracking, peeling, bubbling, and more".

I live in a suburb of a larger city, so have to take an interstate/highway to get "downtown". High speeds plus large trucks kicking up rocks/debris makes PPF a worthwhile investment for me. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother because my local commute & errands are pretty low-risk.

@KeninFL is correct. There are many Youtube videos that demonstrate this, and some newer products are even easier for the DIYer to apply.

Keep in mind, ceramic coating is basically like a wax you apply once and lasts several years (with proper maintenance). While it provides "protection" for your paint to make it much easier to clean, it doesn't offer the same kind of physical protection that PPF does.

True. Years ago, those coatings were basically overpriced sealants. Ceramic coating is a bit more advanced in its durability, but still requires proper maintenance (cleaning). And, as discussed above, can be applied DIY. I'm too lazy/lack the confidence to do it myself, so I'm happy to pay a shop that has done it to many cars way more expensive than mine.

15. Tommy Electric

Fair enough.

Glad to hear that Mini paint is good. Many Tesla owners have complained about paint quality so maybe this has influenced perceptions of other EVs?

That's a good point which I hadn't previously considered.

16. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I hear you. Tesla is a nice product but build and finish quality really gives EVs a bad name. My paint looks excellent still. One door ding even did not chip paint off (though they left their yellow paint on my car). I am a suburbanite which means lots of city like drives with a decent portion of highway mixed in. I am in the minority I think, but do not plan for anything after personal experiences with Minis. Well other than a nice wash and wax. But Mini mentality is to have fun motoring. Dirt is your friend. As they have stated in the booklet, a mint-conditioned MINI is in need of some good motoring.:D

GvilleGuy likes this.
  17. Tommy Electric

With my expected delivery date looming next week I'm still agonising over whether to PPF or not... I'm leaning towards not doing it but seem to swing back and forth.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is my Mad Max image of Australia correct and horizontal, wind-driven torrents of sand are always attacking your cars' paint?

I'm an old guy and I just waxed my SE, like I've been doing to all my cars for 50 years. I believe that if I applied PPF and ceramic treatments to my expensive new hood, it would guarantee the stone that hits it would be a large one.

19. Tommy Electric

Basically accurate. Mad Max is used as a drivers instructional video in Australia.

Norbu72, GvilleGuy, MichaelC and 2 others like this.