Will Tesla support Aptera charging over long haul?

Discussion in 'Aptera' started by Wild Bill, Jul 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill New Member

I realize this is a "loaded" topic.
    Aptera appears to be locking into a single source for DC fast charging, Tesla. Considering Tesla's treatment of its own customers (see recent downgrading Model S from 90 to 60 battery), what assurance would an Aptera owner have in long term access to the Tesla's network and what would be the surcharge to use the network?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

First off, Aptera's management loves the Tesla connector because of its simple, elegant design: Unlike all other charging standards, the Tesla connector can "pump" both AC and DC current. When it comes to DC charging standards the only real difference between the various formats is the shape of the ports and plugs - and Tesla's port is only half the size of other DC ports. As Tesla was the first US manufacturer of EVs - and the first to create a charging network - they created their own connectors. Nissan, the other provider of EVs, used the Japanese ChaDeMo format (although Nissan's coming EVs will have the CCS port).

At the current time only Tesla vehicles can charge at Tesla Supercharger stations in the US, Teslas can ALSO charge at both ChaDeMo chargers and CCS1 chargers - they just need to use adaptors. If Aptera does go with the proprietary Tesla port on its vehicles they, too, will be able to charge at any charger, so long as they have the appropriate adaptor.

Tesla has recently announced that they will soon be adding CCS1 connectors at some of their Supercharger locations so that non-Tesla vehicles will be able to charge on their network. To be eligible for Federal infrastructure funding, Tesla must offer non-proprietary-format charging. Non-Tesla drivers will need to activate the dispenser using a Tesla app on their phone and the purchase will be charged to whatever credit card the app has on file. Tesla is currently using this system in Europe and non-Tesla drivers are paying a few cents more per kW than are Tesla drivers.

It's an evolving situation and EV charging over the next 3-5 years will be a different animal than it is today: But, rest assured, it's an evolution of improvement.

4. Wild Bill

Wild Bill New Member

Thank you for replying. Tesla has said that its open to other manufacturers using its standard, but Elon is Elon and known to change his mind. I suppose they could include a CCS type 1 to Tesla adapter as a backstop since those have been demonstrated to work according to Tom M.

5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Not a problem! I don't know the thought process at Aptera but I do know that, in order to use the Tesla port, they'd have to either buy them from Tesla or negotiate a license to produce them as Tesla currently makes them "in house."

We also don't know how fast Tesla will be rolling-out CCS1 connectors at Supercharger sites or even when they might begin. And will they be at ALL Supercharger sites or just a few? And how many connectors will be at each Supercharger site that has them: Will it be like Electrify America having all CCS and ONE ChaDeMo at each site?

Considering that the going price for a CCS1 to Tesla adaptor is $400, I seriously doubt that Aptera will be giving them away! The same goes for the Tesla Mobile Connector, a Level 1 & 2 portable cable that used to be included in every new Tesla but is now a $200 option. Many EV manufacturers are not providing charging cables - they've gone the way of the included spare tire...

Seriously, Aptera has many, many decisions and choices to make before they begin selling the vehicle: Unless something radical has happened and they're keeping a lid on it, there isn't a prototype with working solar or a functional belly-pan cooling system. We're fairly certain they've mostly finalized the "look" and dimensions of the vehicle but they've not even hinted at anything else.

6. Mpfritz

Mpfritz New Member

Remember that if Aptera uses the Tesla format, Aptera owners can still use CCS with an adapter. As much as I distrust Musk, the choice is a smart one for Aptera, IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Michel Clasquin

Michel Clasquin New Member

It makes some sort of sense in the North American market, and I imagine they've market-researched it and made a deal with Tesla. If Aptera has any international ambitions, they will just have to build cars with the legally required sockets for those markets: CCS2 for Europe, GBT for China and so on.

Seeing Aptera lobbying for the Tesla socket as an all-too-obvious Tesla mouthpiece is a little sickening, though.

9. It currently costs the equivalent of approximately $0.60/kWh in Europe for a non Tesla to use a supercharger. Unless Aptera can negotiate a better deal with Tesla, I would imagine you'd want to use a supercharger only as a last resort.

Kerbe likes this.
  10. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Why do you think so?

11. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

There have been no indications that they've taken either of these actions...

12. To remove this ad click here.