Will not go over 20mph

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GloMini, Jul 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GloMini

GloMini New Member

So was out driveing my 2023 Mini Cooper Se was waiting to pick up wife, she got in I pulled away On the dash it said 20 mph In Green then the car would not go above 20 mph. I pulled over turned the car off and restarted..then it ran normally Does anyone have any idea why it did this??:mad::mad:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Do you have Active Cruise Control? Perhaps you activated the “speed limiter.”

4. That does sound like you hit the “Limit” button (right side of the Cruise Control centre

Mike Wazowski
    & for more

5. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Sounds like you accidentally hit the limit button. I think 20mph is the lowest it'll go so it probably defaults to that if you press it when stopped.

If you floor it completely it'll override the limit but you'll take off like launch control

SameGuy and endquote like this.
  6. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

With the poor button design, it sure it easy to hit that LIM button instead of the 'increase speed' one. Happens to me once every couple weeks.

polyphonic and Godfrey like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Another 2022 technology I don't have to feel sad about not having in my 2021 SE. Here's what I don't get, though: if the SE knows the speed limit (I'm assuming all MINIs do now), why can't cruise control have a mode to go that speed?

Scrambler, azausa, GvilleGuy and 2 others like this.
  9. Carsten Haase

I'd also really like that feature (maybe with a selectable offset like I think Tesla does) but every so often the MINI gets the speed limit wrong so they probably don't want the liability.

Mine has missed a school zone a number of times and would have had me going 45 in a 20! Not sure about other places but in Oregon we also have "end speed zone" signs that basically mean 55 and the MINI doesn't understand those (unless the speed limit is retrieved from the database)

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    Traffic sign recognition was introduced on a wide scale by the BMW F01, and improved upon by (of course) the MB W221 in 2009, but was disabled in North America-bound models because the system couldn’t reliably read our vast array of signs that don’t meet the Vienna Convention standards.

insightman likes this.
  11. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this feature. It can't be reading road signs - I routinely drive on a very short road that does not have any signs, but the speed limit is displayed (and it's different from the roads on either end). And I routinely drive on another road where the sign changing the limit was removed, but it's still displayed. I was guessing that the feature was controlled by some electronic map somewhere.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I asked the service foreman/SE expert at my dealer and he said it is indeed reading the speed limit signs. I believe him because the limit changes exactly as I pass the sign, and I hate school zones because our limits are "20 mph when children are present" and the SE doesn't get the "when children are present" part. There may be database entries (and defaults) involved, but I've noticed when a speed limit changes and the sign is obscured by something like trees the SE will miss the change.

14. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I’m not convinced that cars are reading speed limit signs as much as they claim.
    I’ve had several where they ignore them so must be basing off GPS map data.
    And my Tesla says 20mph at every school zone even outside school hours and it would be bad if autopilot slowed down to that speed automatically as I’d risk getting rear ended if not road rage at a minimum.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

We just got our Mini SE on Friday and we don’t really understand the purpose or use for the LIM button. Does it essentially prevent you from going above the speed set? It’s a strange feature.

16. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Yes. It will stop you from going above the speed set by the LIM button unless you cancel or push the accelerator to the floor. Can’t be used with cruise control.

-Amanda likes this.
  17. SameGuy

YUL
    It’s like a reverse cruise control, allowing you to drive the car below the set speed while helping prevent you from inadvertently exceeding it. I find it useful in school zones — 30 km/h is hard to maintain in a mundane car, never mind a zoomer like this — and in posted speed camera areas.

wessy and -Amanda like this.
  18. Carsten Haase

It's definitely doing both. I've checked it by driving next to a large semi and it will miss the speed limit change and not update until the next sign but other times there are no signs and the speed changes automatically from a database (for example, with a turn from a 45mph road onto a 55mph it'll immediately change before I pass a speed sign)

ghost, SameGuy, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  19. SameGuy

YUL
    Has the OP chimed in yet?

20. ghost

ghost Active Member

I've noticed the same thing when blocked by a big box truck. Sometimes it stays blank (w/ a hyphen) until the next sign.

21. Jawad Malik

Jawad Malik Member

I had not even noticed the LIM button until I read this thread. I tried it for the first time yesterday and it seems quite pointless to me. I am sure they thought about this but for my needs, it's completely pointless. If there was a way to disable this button, I'd do that.

22. SameGuy

YUL
    Most European cars have had this for decades. I used it regularly when I was driving my smart daily. To each their own, I guess.

23. Jawad Malik

Jawad Malik Member

To always follow the speed limit, other cars (like Audi) can do that automatically when adaptive cruise control is engaged.
    This LIM button disengages the cruise control ... which seems like a lost opportunity and possibly a hazard if done by mistake.
    Instead of disengaging the cruise if the LIM button was to command the car to remain in cruise control but follow the posted speed limit(s), that would actually be a useful feature (to me).

Rogwp likes this.