Why isn't the recall 200 listed for my car?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Kokoko, May 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kokoko

Kokoko New Member

I leased a 2020 kona ev in March of this year. When i look the vin up at https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/Campaign200 I get a message that my vehicle is not affected. I thought that maybe they had fixed the car before leasing it to me, but when I dig a little further, it says that there are no open or closed recall campaigns on my car.

However, the tag on the door says that my car was manufactured on Dec 24, 2019 Which is in the reca range of 8/28/2018-3/2/2020.

Anyone have any ideas why the recall isn't showing up for my car?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It says that for my VIN as well but I know it's affected. It's not even smart enough to recognise that my VIN is not a US market example.

upload_2021-5-13_9-48-12.png

4. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

I'm in a similar boat. My vehicle was manufactured in February 2020, so within the recall period, but it doesn't show up with the VIN search. And I did have to get recall 196 (the initial battery fire recall), which I thought was for the same group of cars.

I actually contacted Hyundai USA this week to see what's up, via the website. So we'll see.

I wouldn't mind getting a nice buyback, though being limited to 80% in the interim wouldn't be fun.

5. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

Same here ,got 196, not eligible for 200 (yet?). Dec 30th car.

6. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Possibly it is because you are leasing and not buying. I don't know the legal rights of a lease. I know a leasee doesn't get the rebates. Maybe there is some issue that the buy back that legally has to be done by the title owner of the vehicle. Just a guess.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

What do you mean, a lessee doesn't get the rebates? The federal tax credit came right off the top of my lease, and I got rebate checks from the state of California and my utility company.

9. Kokoko

Kokoko New Member

Even though hyundai motor finance owns the car, I as the leasee would be informed of any recalls. Just like if you finance the purchase of a car the lender technically owns it until it is paid off.

But more to the point, even when I look up the vin number, hyundai says there are no open or closed recalls. I would think that even if the dealer has done something to fix it before leasing it to me that it would be listed as a closed recall.

10. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

Just got off the phone with Hyundai USA. No real answer, just said my vehicle isn't covered by the recall. It seems like they just checked the same database anyone can access on the web and didn't do anything else.

I understand it's not in the database. But no one could provide me an explanation of why it's not covered despite being within the time window and being subject to recall 196.

I did notice that the NHTSA notice for 200 said there were 4,696 potentially affected vehicles (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V127-1095.PDF) and 196 said 6,707 vehicles (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V630-1434.PDF), but both had the same time period of manufacture.

11. Perhaps all the cells in some examples were manufactured at a LGES facility other than Nanjing? The ongoing chaos makes me suspect that tracing what battery packs have what cells installed (of 294) was not as simple or centralised as perhaps it should be. The cells could have been binned (at assembly house Green Energy) irrespective of source if they are interchangeable, but certainly they would be serialised and that barcode recorded at installation, within their production system.

From an article:
    IMG_4496.jpg

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Agreed , all it takes is one :eek:

14. Me too.

15. I thought I would call today just to inquire why my car, a 2020 Kona that was built in November 2019 wasn’t part of the 200 recall. Got the same answer as others, told if it’s not on the recall database then the car is fine. I asked if it’s age to park indoors and charge to 100 percent and was told, yes.

16. Bruce M.

I'm in the same boat. My build date is close to yours and I got recall 196 but not 100. I'm just going to consider myself lucky and go on with my life.

17. Bruce M.

Obviously, I meant recall 200, not 100!

18. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix New Member

Hi All,

The recall information hasn’t really been to forthcoming here in Australia. Just curious based on the attached this vehicle shouldn’t be affected due to build date? Or is there another compliance plate I should be looking for?

A79416D8-B14D-4ECF-85E3-3F01A15DCD96.jpeg

Cheers,

Steve

19. You'd have a letter/email by now if you were affected and if "03/21" is anything to go by I can't see how you would be. That's just the Aussie compliance sticker.

20. Rybot

Rybot New Member

Hi Steve,

Hyundai Australia sent out an email recalling the Kona Electric on 16th March - if your delivery was after 16th March 2021, they would not have been able to release your car to you under Australian Consumer Law if it was affected.

RisingPhoenix likes this.