Why did you choose the trim level you choose?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MarkSasaki, Aug 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Did you buy a Signature, Signature +, Iconic, or Signature 2.0 or Iconic 2.0?

There are a lot of articles online about why you should or should not choose a base model car. But for us Cooper SE owners, its not like we are getting more powerful motors, longer range, or something that looks significantly different. The reason I am curious is I recently took my SE to the dealer and they gave me a loaner car. It was a base model 3 cylinder, the only option it had was the panoramic sunroof. If I was new to Minis and drove that car to see if I liked the Mini at all, I would have walked away and looked into another car, that car was honestly pretty awful. The ride was worse that a car with lowering springs and because it was a 2021 model, it had the small screen, no Apple CarPlay but I was slightly impressed that the non-HK speakers were really not too bad.

I chose my 2023 Iconic trim level because I wanted the HUD, ACC, HK, and even though I will never use the self parking feature, I did not want the blank where the switch is. Plus, I did not like the base seats. The Iconic 2.0 which I am glad I was early enough to miss no longer shows ACC being available. In that case, I think I would have saved the money and gone with a Signature 2.0 and blacked out everything myself.

BTW, how do you fix spelling errors in the title?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I ordered an Iconic 2.0 because 1) the price difference between trims has shrunk considerably, 2) the techiness of the head up display appeals to me, and 3) while I don't expect SEs to hold value over time as well as many other vehicles (due to high initial purchase price and short range vs. an " appliance" ICE car), being the "top of the line" would hopefully make it easier to sell eventually.

When it was originally Signature/Signature+/Iconic, I would have ordered a Signature+ to get the moon roof, but was tempted by the Iconic due to the larger screen. Then they added that to all models, but the step-up in price to the Iconic was still too much for me until they 2.0.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    MarkSasaki likes this.
  4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    This is SOP for me when buying new or searching for a CPO car. It’s old-school thinking, but it still holds true.

azausa likes this.
  5. Aquavir

Aquavir Active Member

I think I chose the Iconic for the option of adding the lounge leather seats and for the automatic cruise, although the other upgrades were nice too. It was back in mid March, so honestly I forget exactly why. I ordered it several days before the website changed to the 2023 spec, so I actually ordered a 2022.

TsylviaNH, MarkSasaki and SameGuy like this.
  6. SameGuy

YUL
    Pretty much exactly the same story here. Ordered in March, ’22 spec with ’23 body color but ’22 roof color but ’23 model but ’22 price but… I suppose I didn’t need the pano roof, but I wanted the Lounge Leather, ACC, and Power Spoke wheels. I think my car is likely fairly unique in North America, as might be many of those ordered during the model year transition.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

I wanted the ‘22 Sig with the ACC and HUD options, but I missed the order deadline and ended up with the ‘23 Sig. I am happy to keep my money as I didn’t really need the tech options. The only thing I am bummed about is not being able to get a white roof and mirrors, but with the $4k I saved I can pay someone to fix that.

9. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Same here, I was trying to get my order in at the end of February and was using the 2022 online configurator. The only thing I changed after the 2023 information came out was the dash. Checkered became available in 2023. I signed off on my final configuration in March.

SameGuy and Aquavir like this.
  10. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

The Iconic 2.0 price is less? I was playing around with the configurator and the new Iconic 2.0 came out really close to my Iconic 1.0. I may have to try that again.

11. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

We were originally going to order the base Signature as we intended to only keep it a few years while we waited for a Kia EV6. Our son convinced us to upgrade to the Premier to get the HK sounds system so we did. We’re glad too as we may keep this car longer now .

MarkSasaki and SameGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

We went with the base signature for the price as it had everything we wanted.
    We could have stepped up to Signature Plus and got a glass roof but having had cars with that before, here in Texas we tend to have to keep the blind closed most of the time rendering it pointless. It also adds weight, and up top at that. So for us the benefit didn’t outweigh the negatives. I would have wanted the Plus to get the HK audio but it’s my wife’s car and she prefers to drive without the radio on so again, waste of money for us. So we kept an extra $4k in our pocket.
    For me the Iconic was gilding the lily with nicer seat materials and fancier dash trim plate, plus more wheel choices. Not interested.
    As a second car driven short distances it has everything we need. Stuff we would be willing to pay for, like blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic detection, electric seats with memory etc are not available at any price…

MarkSasaki and Godfrey like this.
  14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

For my 2021 SE, I had to go Iconic to get the 8.8" display, which is now standard on all levels. And I wanted the Power Spoke wheels, so it was an easy decision for me.

insightman, MarkSasaki and SameGuy like this.
  15. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

We got the 2022 Signature because it was so well equipped for the money. We got the big screen, heated wheel, etc for just over 20k with state and federal incentives. The Iconic level started to push the price closer to an ID4 which we also considered. I could not justify paying a similar amount for such lower range and space. We got lucky with the 2022 as it was very loaded. The only thing I wanted to add was ACC which I have seen on Signatures but it was not available when we order due to the chip shortages. Besides, anything I got was going to be a quantum leap in tech coming from a 35+ year old Vanagon.

16. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I wanted cloth seats and island blue, but it was only available in Level 3 Electric Collection. The Nightfall Edition was too black on black for me.

17. SameGuy

YUL
    I considered this; the ID.4 was the car towards which I was originally leaning because I didn’t even know the SE existed until my car search became more serious and I was (mistakenly) decrying the notion that nobody currently makes a small, two door EV. I googled “EVs available in Canada” and it popped up on the list, so of course I went to check it out. The more I was drawn to the L3 (Premier+ up here, Iconic in the US), the more apparent it was that the L3 would be closing in on the VW’s price. What sealed my decision — apart from really not needing a second CUV — was the fact that I could take delivery of the SE within a few months, while the VW is sold out for 2023 and preorders hadn’t opened up for the 2024 yet.

18. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

We had both the Mini and ID4 on order. I was getting regular updates on the status from Mini and basically zero info from VW. I just gave up and cancelled the VW.

SameGuy likes this.
  19. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Typically, I would buy the highest end version of what I buy. For example, I like and use Mac computers and so do my wife and kids even though I am an engineer and use Windows computers for work because of the engineering software I need. I will buy the highest spec in the model I want. When the 14" and 16" Macbook Pros came out, I wanted the 14" and bought it fully optioned (M1 Max, 32 core GPU) with the exception of the SSD size (I do video editing for fun). I only spec'ed with a 1TB because I have a lot of network storage. Anyway, I found that I will keep it longer than if I purchased a lesser powerful laptop. So the extra horsepower of the laptop will allow it to be useable longer. In the past, I updated computers more frequently as the base model slowed down and because RAM is not upgradeable, so I max everything out in the beginning.

Back to the cars and the Mini specifically, it is not my only vehicle but because it has every option, I will most likely keep it longer, it is my daily driver car. This could save money in the long term since I have all of the technology that is available in the car, at least for 2023. My other vehicle is a Toyota Tundra Crew Max and it is the middle trim (SR5), being a truck, I would rather have it more truck like without the leather interior since it is more utility than luxury for me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Aquavir and SameGuy like this.
  20. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

My situation was different once I sold my I 3 in 11/21 I order SE from my Mini Cooper dealer the same day but perspective to wait 3-4 months make me sick .I start shopping for SE every Dealer possible.Luckily for mi I secure a car in few weeks the only request from me was BRG the rest was not important as long dealer give me car with battery and wheels .was signature trim with heated steering wheel,roof rails, 5 winter mats and no mark ups on price .Pic up a car on 1/3 2022 and for $22500 after rebate is no better bargain for new SE .As one member posted CPO SE was advertised for $42000 .

MarkSasaki likes this.
  21. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

My SOP has generally been to
    My recollection is that the step up in price from Signature+ to Iconic used to be more than the present upcharge from Signature 2.0 to Iconic 2.0. My memory may be incorrect, but that's what I meant.

SameGuy likes this.
  22. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I’m a value buyer and pretty much always have been. I bought the Signature as I consider it a better value. Time will tell if the value holds up or not. I plan to keep my SE for several years so depreciation is not really a concern for me. At $22,500 for the effective cost, the SE Sig is really hard to beat. In fact, I can’t think of any car that comes close whether ICE or hybrid or BEV.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Alf_W, MarkSasaki and SameGuy like this.
  23. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

Check this one out... https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/67ee5e38-7da6-46ea-9665-cd3e47b18a54/