Who's cashing out of Tesla Stock?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bulls96, Jan 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bulls96

bulls96 Member

Any traders out there with Tesla in your portfolio?

Are u guys trimming your positions?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I’m taking profits, slowly:
    • 10% $420
    • 10% $460

Bob Wilson

4. bwilson4web

Preliminary data indicates the SHORT interest on Jan 16 has gone down from ~25% to ~20%. This suggests the SHORT squeeze has abated. The stock price should soon, rapidly decrease.

Bob Wilson

5. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Recent fluctuations in Tesla's stock prices show me that once again, I'm very bad at predicting day-to-day changes. I was thinking rather recently, when the price was at ~$430, that if I did own any stock (which I don't) then that would be a good time to cash out. But a few days later, the price soared to over $500!

I agree with Bob, it looks like the price will soon plunge again. But then, such predictions from me are more often wrong than right!

6. This is just how the big boys on Wall St play the game. Load up/cover and then upgrade the stock. Then when they have pushed it as far as it can go for a while, sell/short it and throw out the downgrades. Best we can do is go along for the ride, but we can't control or predict it (at least not very well).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

I follow the sell/buy ratios during the day and noticed Thursday morning, a brief buy sliver ... almost a probe. If past patterns repeat, I would expect another local 'peak price' is coming:
    • Friday morning, first 30 minutes - SHORTs jumping on the stock in light of current 'bad news' from the anal-ists.
    • Friday afternoon, last 30 minutes - SHORTs trying to 'carp diem' IF the prices seem locally low. Additional 'sack cloth and ashes' articles expected to soften the price.
    • Monday morning, first 30 minutes - late SHORTs trying to get out of their position. The NASDAQ short report should be out (or leaked.)
    IMHO, a pause in a SHORT squeeze is expected and they will be trying to cover their margins by clever strategies is not trivial.

I'm still pissed about 'lying by omission' such as this example: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/16/new-tesla-registrations-in-california-nearly-halved-in-q4.html

Tesla’s overall vehicle registrations nearly halved in the U.S. state of California during the fourth quarter, according to a Dominion Cross-Sell report, which collates data from state motor vehicle records.
    . . .
    The report released on Wednesday showed registrations in California, a bellwether market for the electric-car maker, plummeted 46.5% to 13,584 in the quarter ended December 2019, from 25,402 in the same period a year earlier.

Model 3 registrations, which accounted for about three-fourth of the total, halved to 10,694.
    . . .
    The new data comes nearly two weeks after Tesla beat Wall Street estimates for annual vehicle deliveries and met the low-end of its own target, . .

This is a year-over-year, per quarter this partial report saying 25,402 - 13,584 = 11,818 cars. But they did not mention the 2019 Q4 metrics: "112,000 total deliveries" and "92,550" Model 3. This means 11,818 / 112000 ~= 10%. The report and news articles did not report on increased China and EU sales.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  9. Frank K

Frank K Member

I do not have that many ... sitting it out for now (I bought most at about $250)

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. Pushmi-Pullyu

Lying by omission and other anti-Tesla FUD is, sadly, par for the course for CNBC in their reports about Tesla. That's why I never, ever trust anything they say about Tesla. If some news is reported there, I always look to see if it's reported at other sources before giving any credence to it.
    :mad:

11. bwilson4web

Some facts and data: https://www.ccn.com/tesla-drops-financial-media-get-confused-about-registrations-again/

Despite all of this, the biggest reason to ignore the registration data is that cross-sell figures have a lag, which means they misrepresent deliveries versus registrations. California takes weeks to report a registration, which would mean the huge delivery in December would probably not have registered. This is also not the first time this effect has happened.
    . . .
    What they should not do is get too worried about the cataclysmic drop in registrations, whatever CNBC, Reuters or Fox Business might have said.

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Pushmi-Pullyu

So, apparently, this is yet another variation on the "Demand for Tesla's cars has fallen off a cliff" FUD.

*Sigh*
    :oops: