Who is ordering a 2022 Mini Se?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Matt Shumaker, Jan 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Matt Shumaker

Matt Shumaker Active Member

I know style is subjective. However, when my wife and I saw the 2022 SE, we fell in love! The blue color especially! But, we love the new nose too. We are ordering one ASAP.

Bear in mind, we are not unhappy with our 2020 SE. We love that car. However, we were forced to take what was available because of the COVID shut down. But for the 2022; we plan to order it to our personal spec. We plan on getting it pretty much loaded in blue with chrome blackout.

How about your guys? Who plans on ordering a new 2022 SE?

Matt

GvilleGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

I'm planning on ordering one. I have a deposit with my MINI dealer and supposedly I will be allowed to submit an order sometimes in February. He doesn't know anything about the 2022 changes, but believes they are mostly cosmetic. I'm curious if anyone has any information about what the changes are to the 3 trims and if things like adaptive cruise control are only offered as options or are locked to certain trim levels.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

As much as the new look has going for it, there are some things that aren't so nice for my taste (such as the missing fog lights and side scuttle style). The only new thing that I'd really be tempted by is the new software, but there's no word yet if the current 2020/2021 SEs will be able to get a software update.

Since the 2020 SE has the same range, I'm personally going to pass on this generation. I haven't even had my SE for six months yet, and still love it. And even though I have over 7000 miles on it, EVs don't wear out like you see in an ICE vehicle.

Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  5. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the style changes to even think about giving up mine. Granted it still smells new as it was just delivered a week ago Friday lol. I did make mine to my own specs though so she's exactly what I wanted.

polyphonic and GvilleGuy like this.
  6. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I should get confirmation this week that my Jan 6 deposit is going to be a 2022. My salesman was told mine would be a 2022 several weeks back, but the order has still not been accepted in the system.

After evaluating it the past few days, I really do like the 2022 changes. I love the new front end. Was never a fan of the grey panel. I like how the 2022 SE more closely resembles its ICE siblings.

I also really like the pulse spoke wheels (I think that’s the name). If they are available on the SE, I will switch to them. I am also leaning toward getting the piano black trim options.

I don’t think the Island Blue color in all of the over-lit marketing photos is as deep royal blue as it appears, if you go look at the street photos that exist. It’s actually a lighter blue. I decided to stay with British Racing Green as my color.

I don’t need the interior of the car lit up with the mile or so of LED strips they have added! But hopefully there will be a dimmer for them.

Texas22Step and Lainey like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

I'm in on the 2022.

I had a car on order and was set to get a 2021, but last week's sneak peak made me think it was worth waiting a few extra months. My dealer is switching my order to the 2022 and I hope to be in the first batch out of the factory!

Here's what I like:
    1. My daughter and I both tend to like the look of the new front end (that monolith of grey grille on the 2020/2021 is lame).
    2. I am excited about the prospect of the Island Blue (yes, the promo photos are marketing-ware, but I still like it in the street photos). And that multi-tone roof, whoa!
    3. Since the 8.8" screen is now standard, the Iconic trim might have some additional benefits to merit the upcharge
    4. The additional driver-assist tech is probably something that'll make the 2021 owners one day say, "remember when cars didn't have any of that stuff?"

9. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

Do we know if the Active Cruise Control is actually available on the 2022 SE? I've noticed most of the reports have lumped that as a general option for Minis, and then have later read that things like the suspension dampening are not being offered for the SE. Has anyone gotten an options sheet from MINI yet? My salesman still insists that there are no option changes from 2021-2022, only cosmetic changes.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

My Mini dealership is getting the 2022 update training bulletin this week - should know more then. However, from the press pack photos that were linked - this shows the SE dashboard, and those look like 'set follow distance' buttons on the steering wheel (just a guess), which makes it look like adaptive is there.

Adaptive Cruise.jpg

11. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I'm holding out for a used 2020 SE. Preferably one in Enigmatic Black and with the grill from an S. Know of anybody with one for sale?

Texas22Step and Puppethead like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@Matt Shumaker's black Signature Plus is going on the block when he gets his 2022. Otherwise, cars.com, etc. are your new best friends.

14. insightman

Unless your salesman gets new info, your only choice is to read the press-pack info over and over--and stay tuned to this forum, of course.

15. CuriousGeorge

I was being facetious.

16. insightman

Sorry, I didn't recognize the facetious typeface. Matt's SE is not Enigmatic Black--only Iconic SE's can (could?) have that color.

Texas22Step likes this.
  17. CuriousGeorge

No wonder my joke fell flat, then.

18. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

The adaptive cruise control is one of the few changes which I think are desirable.

19. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I love the look of the 2021. The only thing that would convince me to upgrade is 2x range without becoming heavy and bloated. That would require next-level battery tech.

heelsbigc likes this.
  20. Puppethead

Extra range (even 50% more) is a key for me considering replacing my SE, which is still the best car I've ever owned.

Word is there is a major redesign of the MINI coming in 2023-2024 (so-called fourth generation). I'd guess that may be pushed out a bit since the LCI (2022 model) was just unveiled. And rumors of a smaller hardtop might make it hard to go for longer range.

21. Puppethead

Here's a great look at the LCI (2022) features. It's the S ICE version, but shows a lot of the exterior and interior changes that will also be on the SE.

Some highlights:
    • The new steering wheel control buttons are a mix of discrete buttons and a giant rocker switch.
    • The "bad weather" lights (fog light replacement) utilize the cornering lights I think first introduced in the SE.
    • Not mentioned but the air vents have a new look.
    • MINI solved the radio power button orientation issue!

Lainey, MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  22. insightman

That's funny. To keep the 1/0 logo upright, I tell my wife she must use only the steering wheel control to change the audio volume (of course, she ignores me). What, me OCD? After watching that video, now I want black exhaust tips. :)

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  23. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Lol

I also use the steering wheel and correct later if someone touches the volume instead of letting me control ,

GetOffYourGas and insightman like this.