Who has seen the worst GOM estimate?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by vader, Sep 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. vader

vader Well-Known Member

Just had to share and ask the question (above). I went to a car show today, and had charged up the little beast. It was a return trip of 100km - in fact, through some alignment of planets, *exactly* 100km. When I started, the GOM (source of merriment and always a laugh) stated 150km. Ok, so it is normally of by about 40%, so that would be 210km in the real world. Still way off. Upon pulling in to my driveway, the battery showed 62% left, so I used 38% to go 100km. Calculating, this give 263km of actual range. The GOM read 103km, just to give me a laugh as I got out of the car. So in 100km, it only went down 47km.

The total error of the initial reading is (if I calculated correctly) 75% low. Is this a record? Has anyone else had such a completely, and dismally wrong reading? This was in sports mode - I will say it was a glorious spring day here around 25C, so probably quite good conditions for an EV. Anyway, starting the ball rolling - what is your most hilarious GOM reading?

GvilleGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Lowest I've seen is 60 miles or about 97km fully charged at -37F or about -38.3C. Regretfully I did not check sports mode.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It's summer here, so when I started my 275-mile drive home last Friday it read the EPA-estimated 110 miles. Of course, it didn't know how much of my trip was going to be on one of Michigan's few 75-mph speed-limit expressways, vs. how much of it would be in bumper-to-bumper traffic slowed by the nasty crash of a giant dump-truck.

Because I know the GOM is always wrong on the conservative side, I felt completely comfortable when I was 10 miles from home with it reporting 10 miles of range left. MINI's conservative GOM turns out to be the best antidote for range-anxiety (other than, of course, more actual range).

I'm certain MINI's GOM designer just read this post and is smiling.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  5. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

My high is like 80 miles. I stopped looking at it literally years ago. :)

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  6. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Did you actually go 275 miles without a charge?!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Oops. No, on each 275-mile leg I stopped twice to charge at Electrify America charging stations at Meijer's stores in Cadillac and Bay City. I arrived with 20% and 15% battery charge, respectively. To my delight, both EA charging stations were offering "complimentary" charging, saving me about $40!

To conserve my charge, I watched the GOM and the NAV system and turned my AC off and on to stay relatively cool while maintaining at least 11-12 miles of GOM-computed end-of-journey miles. I arrived home with 12 GOM miles. The roses I bought for my wife, who generously let me take our MINI on this 3-day excursion, didn't wilt, so my plan for AC use worked to perfection. Somehow, while I was gone, she survived driving our boring old 2018 Clarity Plug-In Hybrid.

MichaelC, Brewer Fan and SameGuy like this.
  9. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I have seen in the 80s for miles in the winter. Like others I no longer even look at it. I just keep the display for percent charge and use that. I know in the summer I can go a little more than 1 mile/ percent and in the winter a little less.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

polyphonic likes this.