Which wheels?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Karrint, Oct 1, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Karrint

Karrint New Member

I have my order in and am waiting for my build allocation. I opted for iconic in moonwalk gray. I’m still on the fence about wheels—I know there’s been much discussion over this, so apologies if my question seems redundant. Those who have iconic trim which wheels did you choose and why? I’ve read the iconic trim “power spoke” wheels are supposed to be more aerodynamic. I go back and forth on their look, and I’m wondering how durable they may or may not be? Any insight greatly appreciated. Please and thank you!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I'm getting a MWG iconic with Tentacle Spoke wheels:
    IMG_20200723_134103_802.jpg
    It is the best looking combination, of course.

Tommy Electric and Karrint like this.
  4. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

When I order one, I will most likely get the roulette spoke two-tone. And my decision is solely based on appearance.

CuriousGeorge and Karrint like this.
  5. Karrint

Karrint New Member

I’m between these three. My husband and daughter both really like the funky power spoke ones.

Attached Files:

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Who better than @insightman to answer this question? Actually, unlike @MichaelC and others on this forum, I'm no expert on wheels.

I chose the Power Spoke wheels because they are unique to the SE and are supposedly the lightest 17" wheels MINI makes. However, their unique design presents some problems. First, MINI had to create a special tool to enable the balancing of the Power Spoke wheels:
    [​IMG]
    I don't know how much this tool costs or what tire shops would do to balance a Power Spoke wheel without it.

A second problem with the Power Spoke wheels is the thin Energetic Yellow stripe around the circumference of the rim. I would be very unhappy to scrape my wheel against a concrete curb and ruin that stripe.

A third problem is that the aerodynamic panels are plastic. It might be very good plastic, but I don't believe it would be as durable as aluminum.

I'll be putting my Power Spoke wheels in storage soon to keep them in pristine condition for special events (assuming there will be events). My wife is resisting my suggestion that we display one in our living room. A slightly used set of 16" Loop Spoke wheels will take the punishment of year-after-year exposure to the hazards of driving on the terrible roads (and greedy curbs) of Ann Arbor.

MINI's various other 17" wheels and their 205-width tires are going to provide better cornering than 16-inchers (most of which are 6.5" wide) with their 195-width tires, but the 16" Loop Spokes will be easier to fit with the winter tires I want (the reputedly quiet Michelin X-Ice winter tires). Next year, I'll work on coming up with a clever psychological ploy to convince my wife we need a 3rd set of wheels. If I pass the psychological challenge, then I'll start looking at used 17" OEM MINI wheels and get new summer tires.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    MichaelC likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Norbu72

Norbu72 Active Member

I’m getting Sig+ trim with the 17” Cosmo wheels (all black spokes). I saw an older discussion on the forum where there was no love for the black wheels but I think they’re fantastic and look particularly good with the Brit Racing Green and the Chili red, and black roof and caps. My old 2012 Cooper S ice was chili red with black wheels. I really didn’t have much trouble keeping them looking good (probably due to my incessant washing of the car). I’m not too worried about aerodynamics.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I wish the order guide provided names for the wheels. But, I assume that the Roulette Spokes are the 2ED, available only on the Iconic trim? That would be my choice as well, at least if you could get them on a Signature Plus. I figure that black-and-silver wheels won't look dated as quickly as all-black wheels will when (as) the pendulum swings back the other way.

(Ever notice how the murdered-out look has become totally mainstream now? Pretty soon folks will be buying chrome tape to cover up the manufacturer's all-black plastic trim pieces, just to try to stand out from the crowd.)

MichaelC likes this.
  10. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I actually like the funky Power Spoke wheels, and their additional performance benefits due to lighter weight and better aerodynamics make them a great option. However, I was turned off by the need for a special tool to balance them; I didn't want to be tied to my dealership for all future tire purchases/installation.

The next option I considered was the Tentacle Spoke. As far as I know, they're the next-lightest stock 17" wheel after the Power Spoke. The split spokes may be a pain to clean, and I wavered on the aesthetics of running silver wheels on a grey car.

...Not that there's anything wrong with silver wheels on a grey car, but I wanted to tie in the accent colors (black roof & mirror caps and/or chrome trim and/or Vigorous Grey grille and bonnet handle). I'm not a fan of all-black wheels, either, so ruled those out. (Again, nothing wrong with that if it's your preference; it just isn't for me.)

This left me with the Rail Spoke and Roulette Spoke wheels, which both fit the bill from a color palette perspective. While I think I would be equally happy with either of those, I ultimately chose the Roulette Spoke (yes, their order code is 2ED).

IMG_0255.jpg

GvilleGuy and F14Scott like this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I assumed wheels on the MINI Cooper SE would stay cleaner because the brake discs/pads get so much less usage thanks to the regen braking. I was wrong. I still use the brakes enough to cast a pall of brake dust on the Energetic Yellow stripe on my Power Spoke wheels. However, the stripe is so smooth that it just takes a quick swipe with a paper towel to clean them up and then they shine so brightly that they distract the eye from the rest of the wheel with its film of brake dust.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GvilleGuy

Yes - 2ED. I wish they were an option on the Signature Plus trim...

14. Norbu72

Norbu72 Active Member

This is from the UK order guide:

IMG_1430.JPG

Yes, it’s dated with the infamous “corona” wheel.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  15. Norbu72

Norbu72 Active Member

Also:

IMG_1431.JPG

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Nice to see the names for each wheel option, but it'd be nice to see the weights for each wheel (sans tire). I haven't been able to find them.

17. MichaelC

idrw, Puppethead and Norbu72 like this.
  18. Karrint

Karrint New Member

I was seriously thinking of switching to the two tone roulette wheel (2ED) and thought I had loads of time (touched base with dealership beginning of the week), then—surprise—I got my build number and notification it’s in production today. So, looks like I have the power spoke wheels like them or not. Not sure how I feel about that? If I want to switch out after the car comes I’m guessing I’m looking at a fairly large expense....

GvilleGuy likes this.
  19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

A complete set of wheels will cost over $1000 with rims, tires and TPM sensors (I've been looking at winter wheels). If you just replace the rims with same size you're probably looking at $600 or so since you can reuse TPM sensors and tires. Buying four of everything adds up quickly.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  20. Tommy Electric

Tommy Electric Active Member

Personally, apart from the Corona/Power Spoke wheels, I like all of the 17" options (Tentacle/Cosmos/Roulette). In your colourway, I'd agree with @F14Scott and say that the Tentacle wheels look the best.

For me, the asymmetry of the Power Spoke wheels just looks off when the car is stationary.

F14Scott and GvilleGuy like this.
  21. GvilleGuy

I have wheel angst...have narrowed it down to rail, roulette, or tentacle spokes.

22. Karrint

Karrint New Member

Well, looks like I’ll be living with the power spoke for at least a bit. Guess I can give them a little time and see what I think, then just get new rims if I decide I don’t like them. They are supposed to be the lightest and most aerodynamic. I may do as Insightman did and put them in storage to keep them pristine.

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  23. MichaelC

You really can't go wrong with any of those options, in my opinion. :cool:

If you truly regret getting those wheels, it may be possible to work out a trade--either with the dealership or with someone in your area who got an SE and regretted not getting the Power Spokes. Of course, if you trade with something in the dealership's stock, you will probably get run flat tires.