When weather disables ACC

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robin, Apr 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robin

Robin Member

I wouldn’t have expected to be asking about this at the end of April, but nevertheless.

So snow covered up the radar and disabled ACC and the crash “protection”. The Brake System warning light came on as well. I stopped, cleaned the front medallion, power-cycled the car and all is fine (as I’d expect).

I understand that obsfucation of the radar disables some functions, but why is the Brake System also flagged? More importantly, does that mean ABS is also disabled?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I suspect Coca-Cola will be more forthcoming and willing to share the secret formula locked away in a safe in Atlanta way before Honda deems to reveal any of the Clarity’s secrets to us.
    All we can do is speculate at this point I’m afraid.

insightman likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'd guess ABS is not disabled because it doesn't have anything to do with the radar dish. You can test the ABS. Go find a muddy road, slather some mud on the medallion, then lay on the brakes hard. Alternatively, wait for the next medallion-clouding event and find a slippery place to test the ABS.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Brake system warning is very likely due to the collision mitigation system not being available when the front sensors are blocked. That’s not related to the ABS.

insightman likes this.
  6. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

My Land Rover does the same exact thing with rain and mud.
    Collision brake mitigation warning lamp and chimes is annoying but I just wipe off the radar sensor, camera, and parking sensors....

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, as exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday in this freak Winter storm. My assumption is that they light up the brake-system warning light because of the collision-mitigation system and their lawyers insisted that they do so.

I do wish that the cruise control continued to work in non-ACC mode, although yesterday the roads were sufficiently slick that I shouldn't have been using cruise control anyway.

MPower likes this.
  9. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Me too. But I think that the developers believe that if conditions are so bad that the radar can't see, the driver should be paying strict attention and exercising full control.

4sallypat likes this.
  10. dnb

dnb Active Member

Can't you use the non-ACC cruise control or is it disabled as well?

11. MNSteve

I was not able to figure out a way to use the non-ACC cruise control.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

Easy..Hold down the distance control button on the cruise for a few seconds to toggle between adaptive and normal. I learned it by messing around in the crappy Chicago weather yesterday

dnb and Robin like this.
  14. MNSteve

This does not work for me.

15. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

Switching to Standard Cruise Control

Press and hold the Distance button.

Cruise mode appears in the Driver Information Interface. Press and hold the button again to switch back to ACC.

Robin and dnb like this.
  16. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'll have to try that.

17. MNSteve

Please advise if it works for you. It does not work for me unless there is something I am mis-reading or I'm not holding my nose right when pressing the button.

18. M. Shah

M. Shah Member

Worked for me. On the dash you also see a notification between Lkas and acc

19. Robin

Robin Member

Thanks. I knew it was an RTFM issue.