When is my $16 Wall Clock Smarter than my $47,000 Car?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, Nov 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The car is smart enough to watch my blind spot, steer on freeways, and even emergency brake autonomously. And it has a GPS which sets the clock to a fraction of a second.

Oh, except for twice a year when it's off by an hour. That's when some of my clocks are smarter, automatically adjusting for Daylight Savings Time without making me dive into menus and check or uncheck a box.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Well it's funny, but yes, they should add time zone support and DST switching.
    As most of the infotainment/navigation system is Linux based, this should not be a major problem as you get it out of the box.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. You go into settings and activate/deactivate the DST button. It will change an hour back/fourth.

Could it be solved with Software? Definitely!

Ginginova and electriceddy like this.
  5. mho and Esprit1st like this.
  6. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

Because they sell cars outside Korea and their customers expect DST support.
    Also as they base their infotainment on Linux operating system, DST switching support is easy to do as it is built into Linux for decades.

What they need to do is just enable user to select their timezone and the rest can be done through software.

Toolworker likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Well if the congress ever gets their act together and allows permanent DLST, California, Oregon, Washington state can stop with the biannual clock adjustment.

9. So which is going to happen first? Congress getting its act together or Hyundai caring about inconveniencing its customers?

OzKona and electriceddy like this.
  10. Well, there is already a couple states like Arizona that don't have DST.

So it's not "just" the time zone.

11. I would rather have permanent DST than standard time. I like that extra hour of daylight at the end of the day.

Esprit1st likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.