When do we think the manufacturers will say which models qualify for the 2023 tax credits?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark W, Aug 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    So, it seems like we know which models MIGHT qualify for the $7500 rebate based on their prices and where they are assembled. But it seems like the part nobody knows the answer to is which cars qualify based on where the battery components are sourced from. It seems like each company COULD say right now which models would qualify.

Is there some strategy for them as far as when to divulge this? For example, with the Chevy Bolt, if Chevy says now that they will qualify for the $7500 starting on 1/1, will it cause people not to buy cars that are coming in this year? Maybe they will announce a price increase starting in 2023?

What do you think we should expect regarding this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think unsold, ineligible cars will be deeply discounted after US Thanksgiving. I also think small startup brands with no US manufacturing plans will exit our market.

Watch the EV6/Ioniq 5, Polestar and Volvo offerings.

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I don't think there will be any vehicles that qualify until the last two months of 2023, and then only $3,750.

The CBO is predicting only 85 million dollars for 2023 and total of $7,541 million over 9 years. That's only a bit over a million cars at $7,500. That's not many.

Things aren't going to get rolling until 2 to 4 years from now.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  5. marshall

I doubt you will see deeply discounted EVs. I think all these cars are pre-sold and many have signed binding contracts.

Go to your local dealer. If they are like anything like they are around here, there isn't any EVs on their lots. Heck there isn't many cars at at all.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    Mark W likes this.
  6. "...unsold, ineligible cars..."

The Seattle area marketplace is not indicative of national trends.

Unless the makers divert cars already bound for export - there will be more cars than buyers, if only briefly.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

Go down to your local dealers and take some pictures. I want to see how many EVs are on their lots.

9. GetOffYourGas likes this.
  10. marshall

At best we will see these cars sell at MSRP. Don't count on any deep discount with just two cars listed for sale at each dealership.

Anyhow, go to these dealers and photograph the cars if they are actually there.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  11. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I’m with Marshall on this one. Online inventory never was reliable. Today, it is flat-out meaningless.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    This is what somebody posted in reply to my question on another forum. If this is true, then automakers don't know yet which cars qualify.

"The IRS recently said they’d start sharing proposals for public comment in the next few weeks and months. Right now, no one knows how to calculate the battery component and mineral requirements."

Fastnf likes this.