Wheel information

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Robert_Alabama, Sep 12, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I have a black Clarity PHEV. I don't especially like the gray plastic inserts in the wheels. I considered the Honda Civic 64108 18" wheels as they are exact matches to the Clarity wheels, but I hated to have to deal with the tire swap, etc. I found that the Clarity Fuel Cell has gloss black inserts. These are Honda Part # 44733 TRT N00 and can be bought online for about $150 each. The look of the black fuel cell with this black wheel insert to me is much improved as compared to the black PHEV with the gray insert. See pics below and please feel free to comment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I was not pleased when I found plastic inserts were part of the massively expensive Clarity wheels. However, I agree that black inserts will look much better than the gray ones on your black Clarity. My solution was to get the Clarity accessory wheels for our Moonlit Forest Pearl Clarity PHEV and banish the plastic-clad OEM wheels to winter duty. However, the accessory wheels have gray center/spokes, so they wouldn't satisfy your aesthetic requirement.

[​IMG]

4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Maybe a cheaper option is to Plasti Dip the inserts in the shade of your choice? I really don’t like the inserts and color won’t help me. I’ll likely get new wheels for my winter tires anyway.

BTW, I like your color change from grey to black a lot. If we have to live with the inserts, black is good.

V8Power likes this.
  5. Richard Kelly

Richard Kelly Member

I had been thinking the exact same thing about the grey, but I'm kinda cheap so changing out the plastic for $600 appalled me. I was thinking about trying my hand at the 3M plastic wrap once the winter wheels go on the car. Or, I have a connection to a commercial parts painter, so may ask them to just paint the grey inserts black.

6. Kendalf

Kendalf Active Member

I've been thinking about painting the inserts black as well. $600 just to change the inserts sounds pretty ridiculous. That could pay for a significant portion of brand new aftermarket wheels.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. lessismore

lessismore Member

how about just remove the plastic inserts? Recently I have to take a curbed wheel to a powder coating place to get it repaired. I didn't want to have a 2nd driver to come with me since it's a bit distant from my place. So I took the wheel off (I can share my experience with jack up points) and found the plastic piece is clipped on the wheel. I remove it easily from inside of the rim. Honestly, the wheel looks nice enough without it. I am sure the plastic inserts are put on for aerodynamic reasons.

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I did change out my inserts. I know, price I paid was too high, but I really like the look a lot better. If anyone wants to buy my 4 original inserts and paint them or plastikote, make me an offer. At least then you don't risk your originals. I think you can use the "start a conversation" to PM me if interested. BTW, both inserts are the same base gray plastic material, the surface painting is all that was different between the gray and the black.