Wheel alignment and balancing: can it be done with the car in park

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Luis Abreu, Aug 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello guys.

Maybe a stupid question, but this is my 1st ev and so i guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm getting a new pair of tires for the front wheels and i want to do a wheel alignment/balance. In all the other cars I've owned, the car should be in neutral without leaving the hand break on. This is a little hard to achieve in the Mini SE since it tends to set itself into p whenever you turn off the car. Leaving the car on and on N won't cut it because i think opening the door will automatically turn off the engine and aet it to p (though I haven't tested this lately).

I've seen that there's a procedure for managing to turn off the car and leave it in neutral (N), but it also says that it will engage automatically in P after 15 mins.. It's been some time since I've done wheel alignment but I'm almost sure that 15 mins might not be enough... So, has anyone done wheel alignment? Can i leave it in P during the process? Any tips?

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

They're going to roll the car onto slip plates which lets the tires move during the alignment process.

For balancing they'll remove the tires and put them on a spin balancer.

Both process will not differ due to it being an EV.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Of course, with the exception of the Power Spoke wheels, which require a special accessory weight to balance the wheel on a spin-balancer, where the off-center wheel cover can't be present.

Brawndo likes this.
  5. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello guys.

Thanks for the tips.

I thought the process was the same as for non ev6, that's why I asked the question because I've always been asked to leave the car in neutral with hand break off... I guess I'll find out today when I replace the tires...