What to look for when buying a used EV

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Dec 21, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Buying a used electric vehicle is a bit different from buying an internal combustion one. And even within the scope of EVs, there may be certain things specific to certain makes, models and model year which one might want to look out for.

The example that jumps out at me is used Nissan LEAFs. How many bars are gone? How many before the battery might be replaced for free (if that's still a thing)? How big is the charger?

Since many of you have bought an EV in the past, tell us what specific things you looked for. What made you turn down a deal, or what made you snap something up.

This could be super informative for those just looking to buy now.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JyChevyVolt

JyChevyVolt Active Member

Unless manufacturers start offering replacement battery with higher capacity, I would not recommend a used BEV. Tesla might be a exception but only CPO or with extended warranty.

The Bolt EV would be the first BEV that I would consider buying used.

Electric cars might become a environmental nightmare unless manufacturers or 3rd party start offering replacement battery at realistic price.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

5. jim

jim Active Member

1-A few things to check when buying a used EV is can you get service in your area? Some vehicles like a KIA SOUL EV I have in Arizona are only serviced in California. Even warranty issues like I have take a long time. They will pay and tow it to California, they will fix it after some time and then you get it back. Do you think they will have an EV loaner ?(not likely) Do you think it will be fast ? (most are 1 to 2 months)

2- Check the real battery capacity of the car you are buying. Some like the LEAF lose a lot of capacity very fast. A warranty might cover it but might not. If it doesn't have liquid cooling watch out in HOT areas.

3- Does it have new tires or a spare tire ? Most do not and as they get older your more likely to have a flat. Maybe get a spare or replace the tires so your on good new low rolling resistance tires.

4- Do it have a smart phone AP? and can you get it working on your phone? It's possible to lose some options if you cant get that working.

5- Does it have a good working 120 cord set for slow but handty emergency charging? Little items like that may cost you 300-500 to replace. Good ones can be made into home portable 240 or 120 charging on EVSEupgrade which is very handy. You can't up grade a FORD 120 cord and they over heat even on 120. Get a good one from a LEAF.

Jim

Domenick likes this.