What is this light bulb for?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rickker, Feb 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. (Sorry if this has come up before.....)

In the middle of the Hyundai emblem at the front end is a light bulb that is almost always off, but I have noticed it lit up a few times. I had a brief look in the manual but did not see a reference. You have to be at the front of the Kona to see it, so I reckon the owner would be mostly unaware when it it lit. I noticed it recently while washing the car. Just asking what it is for and why at the front location? Thanks. ....Rickker IMG_2534.JPEG

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My understanding; this light indicates your high voltage battery is being used to charge your 12V batt.

4. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

The light comes on whenever the HV (high-voltage) battery is engaged but the car is not on. As IGSAD said, one reason for this is the car has turned on the HV system in order to provide power for the 12V system, likely to top off the 12V battery.

It's basically just a warning light to let anyone thinking of poking around under the hood that the orange cables are full of angry pixies.

Domenick and arhnold like this.
  5. At the close of a corporate-level final design review meeting, the chief engineer turned to the lawyers and said "is there anything you'd like to add?"

So, yes, it's completely useless.

OzKona likes this.

6. Thanks for the clarification. I won't worry about it anymore.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It's a good thing, only worth worrying when you don't see it (on a regular basis):)

mho likes this.