What is that metal thing behind the brake disc?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by azausa, Jan 2, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. the other pics IMG_6027.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. IMG_6028.JPG

5. IMG_6029.JPG

6. IMG_6030.JPG

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Should be your brake dust shield. If you ever get this weird grinding noise coming from a wheel, it's probably a rock stuck between the shield and the rotor.

azausa likes this.
  9. Thanks @teslarati97. Are the chipped edges normal? And is a rock stuck between the shield & the rotor bad?

10. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Dust shields are on all cars with disc brakes and are just stamped steel. There is a small gap between the dust shield and the rotor so it is possible to get something stuck in there which is bad. The most common thing to get stuck is a rock and it is very uncommon but it does happen. If it does happen, it will make a speed dependent high pitched noise as you drive.

azausa likes this.
  11. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Mine have those same indents. At least, the right front one does, and in the same place.

azausa likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

I think those edges are for automated assembly. Generally it would be at the rear shields after some unfortunate pebble bounces within the wheel.
    minibrakeshieldfront.JPG
    minibrakeshieldrear.JPG

azausa likes this.
  14. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking...maybe some sort of pin or peg that either helps align the shroud or perhaps rotate it into place.

azausa likes this.
  15. Thanks, everyone. I learned something new. I now know those chipped edges are normal. The grinding sound has stop probably the small stone has been dislodged.

Was funny, I even found a cigarette butt lodged underneath the SE and small stone which I cannot pull out and is now part of the under chassis of the SE.

16. teslarati97

The small stone will probably fall out if it's not underneath a body panel. If you have the tools, you could remove the wheel and look around for the pebble.

miniunderbody.JPG

17. Not only I don’t have the tools, I also don’t have the confidence. I reckon the stone is underneath the body panel as I can hear them rolling when doing a sharp incline curve.